What's new

Excalibur Club - Blade Longevity DE, SE and Injector

So what criteria do you gentlemen of the Excalibur brotherhood use to stop seeking more shaves from a blade?

At some point I always get an idea that sure I could get better shave with a new blade. And I go for it. Maybe that is a strange criteria, but it works! Other metrics are not so good for me as I change soaps and creams almost every day, so I have slightly different results.

I got to 10 full shaves on a Feather, a new record for me as previous record of 12 was only partial face.

Definitely worse today than previous shaves.
So, I have a benchmark, having done nothing different - no change to my minimal prep or change in stroke length.
Next Feather blade I'll see if more prep work makes a difference.

Hello Excalibur Club. I've been noticing that my blade life has been improving recently. Until recently, I'd been ditching my blades after 4 shaves. I just hit 8 shaves with an Astra SP for the first time and the shave was smooth, comfortable, and irritation free. It didn't seem as if there was much if any fall off from the first few shaves. I'm now interested to see how much longer it will last and it has piqued my interest in the Excalibur club. I can see I've got a lot of reading in store for me and I expect to learn a lot. I'm attributing my increased blade life to improved technique, better lather, and possibly changes I've made to accommodate my new NDC Tech. I'm looking forward to reading this thread.

Shave #30 with a Wilkinson Sword blade. :thumbup1: I don't do anything special, just rinse the razor off, shake it, and put it away. I don't loosen anything, and I don't dry anything off.

I have reached shave 78 on the Schick blade and it's still working! I am tempted to try it in another razor now, it has been working in a Tech for some time now and a few shaves in a SC NEW. Should I go with a #58 Rocket or an Old Type?

what do you more experienced guys think?

I just got the #58 and love the smooth and efficient way it shaves, but I have a bit more experience with the Old Type.
they both allow a very shallow angle of shave and thus I think they will work.

What's interesting about the Schick blade, is that my father who worked for Gillette, said most everyone there used Schick blades instead of Gillette's, because they were sharper and lasted longer. This, in spite of the fact that Gillette gave them many free blades.
He also advocated a shallow blade angle in spite of Gillette's public recommendation of a steeper angle. They believed Gillette intentionally recommended this knowing a blade used with a steeper angle would provide fewer shaves, thus more blade usage.

Shave 7 with my first Feather blade this morning. Closest shaves I've got since I started DE shaving back in April. Lather quality definitely impacts performance of this monster. I've had more irritation and weepers the past week than in the month before that. But treat them with respect and you won't get the bloodbath the alarmists warn about. And it seems less likely to cut me now than during the first 3 or 4 shaves. If I can get decent longevity out of this blade, I may have to make a bulk purchase because it's the first time I've really gotten bbs over the majority of my face.

I've read the whole thread and now it's percolating in my head. Thanks to all who have contributed as it's been excellent food for thought. The Excalibur approach seems to have a lot of merit. I've spent the last week refining my pressure, angle, lather, and prep. The results have been quite positive. Most importantly, I've been challenging my assumptions. I'm now up to 15 shaves on my Astra SP in my NDC Tech. I experienced some doubts around 12 and 13 as I thought things weren't quite as smooth and close as earlier but I decided to go for my most protective products with Williams and Godrej the next two shaves. I also did an application of Noxzema to prep my beard in the shower and spent a bit more time with the brush on my face than I usually do. I even towel stropped my blade in the razor. I was rewarded with two excellent DFS + shaves with no real irritation.

The thing that is most helpful about confirming how slowly the performance of a blade really changes is that we can remove one more variable from the equation. There is no longer the mechanical excuse for problems. You know now that the issues most likely must be resolved by attention to Prep, Lather, or Technique. In any case I think it's time to add Excalibur to my signature. If nobody objects, consider me joined.

... The thing that is most helpful about confirming how slowly the performance of a blade really changes is that we can remove one more variable from the equation. There is no longer the mechanical excuse for problems. You know now that the issues most likely must be resolved by attention to Prep, Lather, or Technique. In any case I think it's time to add Excalibur to my signature. If nobody objects, consider me joined.

Congrats, You have found the secret handshake!

Welcome to the brotherhood.

Interesting - got more shaves on a "They're good for only 2 shaves!" Feather DE blade, than I did on a "SE blades last at least into double digits" GEM PTFE SS SE blade.

:)

I've read the whole thread and now it's percolating in my head. Thanks to all who have contributed as it's been excellent food for thought. The Excalibur approach seems to have a lot of merit. I've spent the last week refining my pressure, angle, lather, and prep. The results have been quite positive. Most importantly, I've been challenging my assumptions. I'm now up to 15 shaves on my Astra SP in my NDC Tech. I experienced some doubts around 12 and 13 as I thought things weren't quite as smooth and close as earlier but I decided to go for my most protective products with Williams and Godrej the next two shaves. I also did an application of Noxzema to prep my beard in the shower and spent a bit more time with the brush on my face than I usually do. I even towel stropped my blade in the razor. I was rewarded with two excellent DFS + shaves with no real irritation.

The thing that is most helpful about confirming how slowly the performance of a blade really changes is that we can remove one more variable from the equation. There is no longer the mechanical excuse for problems. You know now that the issues most likely must be resolved by attention to Prep, Lather, or Technique. In any case I think it's time to add Excalibur to my signature. If nobody objects, consider me joined.
Welcome to the Club! Nice thoughts and the best avatar I have seen so far :)

Welcome to the Club! Nice thoughts and the best avatar I have seen so far :)

Thank you sir! Silent film actor Mack Swain is my face here. I've noticed your avatar too, I must confess I'm curious about it.

I initially set out to 3017 my Astra in my tech when I found it had more life than I was expecting. After 16 shaves in a row with the same razor and blade I had to take a day off and reconnect with my Fatboy using a derby on shave 3. The Astra has more staying power than I do apparently. Back to the Astra and the tech tomorrow!

Thank you sir! Silent film actor Mack Swain is my face here. I've noticed your avatar too, I must confess I'm curious about it.

I initially set out to 3017 my Astra in my tech when I found it had more life than I was expecting. After 16 shaves in a row with the same razor and blade I had to take a day off and reconnect with my Fatboy using a derby on shave 3. The Astra has more staying power than I do apparently. Back to the Astra and the tech tomorrow!

My avatar is a fragment from painting by Vytautas Kasiulis. Here it is:
$serveimage.jpg

My avatar is a fragment from painting by Vytautas Kasiulis.

Very nice. He has a lovely colour palate!

Today I was back to my Astra and Tech. One conclusion I've reached is that a low friction shave is extremely important in maintaining a shallow angle. When friction creeps in I have a tendency to lift the razor cap off of the face a little bit. This is most noticeable right at the beginning of a shave. To eliminate that I have taken to putting a dab of lather on the cap of my razor at the beginning. It works like a charm.

Well, Maybe it is time I joined. I have between pushing my blades and just reached a new high of 16 for me. That is 16 3pass shaves with a feather blade. Looking forward to see how far this will go, and really looking forward to trying Wilkinson swordedged blades.

Shave 13 today on the Feather blade I started using on 10/13. Don't understand how people can toss these after 3 or 4 shaves. Those first few shaves were the roughest I had with this blade. Now it's like butter and giving me the closest shaves ever. Always DFS or BBS. With 2.5 to 3.5 pass daily shaves. Admittedly, this is the first Feather blade I've tried, but if it keeps going, giving me good longevity, I will definitely need to buy a bulk pack.

Shark Superior Stainless, shave 72 and I'm not sure that I want to go for shave 73. Granted todays lather was not great and I do believe that is a major contributor to a good shave, but I do think that I am at that point when it's not lasting as long as I like and I am starting to take more time doing clean up.

This entire run has been in a Feather Portable which is a nice razor. It is slightly more aggressive than a Tech, but still somewhat forgiving.

Shave 20 on my Astra SP in my Tech and I was all ready to report the demise of the blade. Shaves 18 and 19 Weren't bad, they just weren't quite as close or comfortable. I figured I'd give it one more chance since I'd forgotten to strop the blade for 18 and 19 and both of those shaves were on 36 hours of growth. I followed my normal prep, made a point of stropping, and mixed up a very rich, thick super of Williams and Godrej and a few minutes later I had a near perfect irritation free BBS on 2 passes plus a fair amount of touch up. I guess the Astra lives on!

Top Bottom