What's new

Arizona Retro Shave Enthusiasts- A Brotherhood for us ZONIES

HEY Gents in Tucson. As you know our shave shopping experience is well few to far to none:bored:, However for those that like L'Occitane shave soaps they are back in stock. Good stuff, great slickness, the L'Occitan EDT is very nice as well. I did confirm that the Plisson shave brush is no longer, they have replaced it with a travel brush.

Also for those that are so inclined, we know have a local source for Creed fragrances ( go figure cant find shaving stuff anywhere, but we have some of the most expensive Men's fragrances available...:blink:) leave it to Tucson LOL. Any way Blue Mercury in La Encantada has the complete line. it is a bit higher priced, but when factoring in shipping, tax, and since Creed is one of the most counterfeited fragrances, it is still a decent deal and guaranteed authentic

Just FYI, have a good day Gents!
This reminded me of something . I was at Whole foods and while looking at the Pre De Provence, I noticed they also carry Crabtree & Evelyn products. Not much for men but they do have men's shower gels, body creams and Sandalwood edt.

They opened up a Natural Grocers at Broadway/Kolb, it has quite a few shaving items for men including a full line of KMF creams, Badger brands and looks to be 3-4 artisan type sops/as.

Nothing really to knock your socks off but better than say Sprouts

So I'll review two items I kept.

I just shaved using a Gillette Goal blade from the box. I had somewhat higher hopes for this blade. No nicks but it was painfully dragging. Too dull for my liking. I'll stick with 7o'clock blades when it comes to Gillette from now on.

Now. Whoever dropped the Derby soap in the box, Thank you! I've been wanting to try this stuff for a very long time. Just the classic chemical soap scent. I can't describe the scent other than Mexican Soap. It smells like my grandparents bath tub in mexico. Nostalgic maybe? I couldn't ask for much out of this soap since it's no top shelf soap but I liked it. It wasn't bad at all. No nicks, lovable scent, glide. It lathers very easy and it comes in its own cup. I'm just curious to see how long it lasts.

Well I was able to grab the box on Friday before leaving town and take it with me on a road trip.

Couple of thoughts right off the bat...Well done to everyone contributing, the box looks very different from what Dave sent out from Tucson here 2 months ago.

This box traveled another 800 miles with me into Gallup and the Zuni reservation before making it back home here in Tucson...I grabbed my razor and a brush and hit the road and tried out stuff on the fly.

On all these reviews I used my Feather AS D2 razor..I used the Voskhod blades in the box along with my Semogue 1305 boar brush with soft water.

Voskhod blades- I have been wanting to try these and was not disappointed, a little more drag on my face then my trusty Astra's but also a closer shave in the feather with less touch-up needed at the end of the shave.

RazoRock Tight Buns- On friday seeing how I was going to try the Voskhod blades for the first time I wanted to use a soap I knew would perform so I went with RazoRock. Performance is like all their other offerings, that being superior. The scent was interestingly enough like many of the other soaps I have from them.

New York Shaving Company Elizabeth Street - Decent Performance and lather; not a stand out but also did not disappoint, the scent reminded my of TOBS Luxury..to me they are twins and could have been manufactured at the same place.

Taconic Eucalyptus Mint: First time trying this brand, not much of a mint/menthol shaver but was thinking of buying Proraso green to pair with the Proraso aftershave so this would be a good test. The soap gave me a nice lather and treated my face well, the feel was cooling without being icy and the scent was mild but I think an excellent overall shave.

Kyouvu Aftershave: Well played whoever put this little gem into the the box. I am a big time fan of both leather and tobacco scents...and this one blends the two of them perfectly. Currently I use both Razo ZiPeppino and GEO F Spanish leather soaps and pair them exclusively with Alt-Innsbruck (for tobacco) and English Leather (for leather) this Kyouvu splits the difference between the two and gives an almost balm like performance in a splash format, love this stuff.

I kept a few things as I am going to add a few more before I give back to Dave.

Voskhod Blades
Taconic Eucalyptus Mint (Now I do not have to purchase green proraso soap this summer)
Kyouvu Aftershave- Once I smelled it there was never a doubt
Tea Tree Oil- I want to try mixing this into my homemade pre-shave Oil.

I will get with Dave in the next week or so (tax season for me so it is busy times) and get him this box to start the process over again; once again well done to all.

Great Reviews and at least I will be able to try some things LOL. Looking forward to it.. so we will start the Sign up again here in this thread. If you are interested please just copy and paste into a new reply. Probably have the box going out 1st week of April.

A.R.S.E - PASS-AROUND Box MARK II

1. Skypsyd - on deck for round #1, and will begin MARK II

Again in interested in the 2nd pass-around just copy and paste this with your reply, adding your name to the list. Thanks Gents!

A.R.S.E - Group Meet up Mid-April / May 2015??
Hi Gents, I had alluded to this over the last month, and with the 1st pass-around coming to a close, though it would be a good time to gauge whether there was enough interest in having a meet- up. Obviously all of our schedules are busy, so I will leave it up to the group for ideas, but a lunch meet might work the best on a Saturday. We would pick a central location ( Casa Grande Sticks out at this point), but the locations can be flexible. the premise would be to meet-up get to know one another and talk what else... Shaving, and of course other interests. To make it more enjoyable, I though it would be a fun idea that everyone bring a shaving related gift, we would put those in a pile, and give out raffles tickets, so everyone would go home with something. Probably two-hour, or so deal to get the A.R.S.E members together. What say you?

If interested just add your name to the list, and if we have a good response we will move forward to the logistical phase of picking a restaurant, times, and a date. I will leave the initial post up for a week or so, to see if there is any interest.

1st Annual A.R.S.E Meet-Up
1. Skypsyd

Tea Tree Oil- I want to try mixing this into my homemade pre-shave Oil.

Take a look at the ingredients before you do any mixing. While it says Tea Tree Oil, it's really a blend. I used it as a pre-shave as is until my dermatologist told me not to use oils anymore. Of course, that was after I had already bought a second bottle.

Take a look at the ingredients before you do any mixing. While it says Tea Tree Oil, it's really a blend. I used it as a pre-shave as is until my dermatologist told me not to use oils anymore. Of course, that was after I had already bought a second bottle.

So basically a stand alone then...Ok perhaps I will put that one back in the box.

Thanks Garrett

So basically a stand alone then...Ok perhaps I will put that one back in the box.

Thanks Garrett

Give it a try, even if you want to try mixing it a little. I'm pretty sure you can find the same brand at some of the drugstores if you decide you like it. I picked that one up at WinCo along with a puck of Williams.

Kyouvu Aftershave: Well played whoever put this little gem into the the box....

Kyouvu Aftershave- Once I smelled it there was never a doubt...

I'm really glad you like Roam. I asked Will last year to make it for me and it looks like its been selling great. That bottle is part of the first batch released. I grabbed two right away. I was able to part with that one because my wife absolutely HATES that scent. I have to use it when shes not home. Roam is by far my most favorite soap scent of all time.

I'm really glad you like Roam. I asked Will last year to make it for me and it looks like its been selling great. That bottle is part of the first batch released. I grabbed two right away. I was able to part with that one because my wife absolutely HATES that scent. I have to use it when shes not home. Roam is by far my most favorite soap scent of all time.

Wife here like it, she said it made me smell more manly....tbh the scent is very very strong and a little does seem to go a long way.

Thanks again Fox

2. mkiraly - glad everybody had some fun the first time around!

Again if interested in the 2nd pass-around just copy and paste this with your reply, adding your name to the list. Thanks Gents!

Hi Gents, I had alluded to this over the last month, and with the 1st pass-around coming to a close, though it would be a good time to gauge whether there was enough interest in having a meet- up. Obviously all of our schedules are busy, so I will leave it up to the group for ideas, but a lunch meet might work the best on a Saturday. We would pick a central location ( Casa Grande Sticks out at this point), but the locations can be flexible. the premise would be to meet-up get to know one another and talk what else... Shaving, and of course other interests. To make it more enjoyable, I though it would be a fun idea that everyone bring a shaving related gift, we would put those in a pile, and give out raffles tickets, so everyone would go home with something. Probably two-hour, or so deal to get the A.R.S.E members together. What say you?

If interested just add your name to the list, and if we have a good response we will move forward to the logistical phase of picking a restaurant, times, and a date. I will leave the initial post up for a week or so, to see if there is any interest.

1. Skypsyd
2. mkiraly

4.uacowboy

Again if interested in the 2nd pass-around just copy and paste this with your reply, adding your name to the list. Thanks Gents!

1. Skypsyd
2. mkiraly
3.uacowboy

4.uacowboy
10. Azpatriot66

4.uacowboy
9. RunFoxRun
10. Azpatriot66

I don't mind going further down the list since I'm down here in Bisbee.

Also if any Tucson guys want to take a trip down to Bisbee feel free! Good food and atmosphere. We can have a small meet, maybe being wives. We can talk shave and they can make fun of our obsession.

4.uacowboy
10. Azpatriot66

I'm gonna sit this one out. I loved getting to try stuff from the first passaround, and hopefully I'll be able to participate again in the future, but the next few months are going to be a little too hectic in our household with kids events, vacations, and a couple of large church volunteer activities.

Top Bottom