What's new

Arizona Retro Shave Enthusiasts- A Brotherhood for us ZONIES

Well I don't have allot of opinions right now because I am new but I got a bbs shave very first time de shaving with my feather popular ..feather blades. ..tobac soap.so for now I'm going to stick with this set up because it is so easy-to-use but eventually hope to go to a straight razor

Sounds like you have a good start. we have a lot of DE users here. I am one of the few i think that uses a straight most of the time. I still use DE and SE from time to time to change it up. Feel free to ask questions. Lots of good guys here. Also we have a Pass around going that if you are interested in trying i bet you could squeeze in before the end of this round. If not it will likely be going around again in a couple months.

I saw that pass around how does that work exactly. ..is it sanitary? I ask this because as a chef sanitation is always on my mind. Also I am very used to sharpening blades and even repairing them but I suspect that a straight is a bit different. ..how much time is put into the blade on a regular basis ...how long do straights last? What is the grind angle on a straight. ..is it single or double bevel or are there both? Oh yeah and just for you uacowboy.... Go Cats...and thank you for your responses

Capt. the pass around is filled with some product and you try them out, keep what you want, and the hope is your replace wht you took with something of like kind and quality. As to the sanitary nature of item, we have to trust that everyone takes special care before sending the box on, and we do not , currently have much in the way of "hardware", so other than the soaps it is really not and issue, plus most of the soap items are either kept used, or in sample sizes. if you would like to take part in the 2nd go around just pm me and I will get you on the list. As to the straight questions, I will let those more versed in straights to chime in. Thanks for the inquiry

You are welcome.

As for the straights i can answer some of that since i do restorations as a hobby. Honing razors is very different from knives or tools. It is normally recommended to get the hang of using a straight before honing them yourself. There are some good videos i can point you to down the road when you want to try and possibly meet up and show you in person but i would not consider myself a master yet as i have only been honing my own for a bit over a year. the upkeep on a straight is pretty easy. stropping is the biggest part other that making sure it is dry before you put it away. Stropping before you shave should keep it shave ready for a long time once you have your technique down. If you use the same blade every day the average that i have seen from posts i read would be around 2 or 3 months. some claim much longer. as far as how long the blades last, i am using some that are around 150 years old that i restored. I have even seen some that are in the 250 year range that people have cleaned up and use. it all depends on taking care of the steel. there are several styles of blade grind from extra hollow to full wedges. most have a single bevel but some people to use double bevels but they are very small.

Oh ok I see how it works thank you skypsyd!

Do us heat dwellers ever get together or are we all pretty far apart

Actually, it is funny you are mentioning that. After this 1st pass-around we are going to explore a meet-up somewhere in the middle of the state, probably Casa Grande if we have enough folks interested. I will be putting out that question in a few weeks with a list, then we will all try to get a date that works for everyone, probably a weekend and probably for lunch. more details soon. Also we will also be continuing the Pass-around as well starting in late March, April

Nice uacowboy that is some great info and I would love the opportunity to check out your set up and learn from you .I see you are in Corona De Tucson not far from me, a meeting would be great perhaps a pm would be in order to set time and place it is 9:30am now and I will not be on for a while so I will check back later

Just curious, but how many other Sun Devils or Sun Devil fans do we have? I'm an ASU Alum. With all of the UA representation, I kinda feel like I'm in the Lion's (or Kitty Cat's) den by myself over here.

Go Devils!

Just curious, but how many other Sun Devils or Sun Devil fans do we have? I'm an ASU Alum. With all of the UA representation, I kinda feel like I'm in the Lion's (or Kitty Cat's) den by myself over here.

Go Devils!

Speaking of Sterilizing the Pass Around LOL just kidding, I am a UA alum, but if it does not have a saddle, wheels or an engine I really don't keep up with the sports or rivalry, other than when we go up and paint your A. It's rodeo week down here

We are still growing!!!. Please join CaptainScallawag to the A.R.S.E. Group

Bula -Phoenix
AZBronco- Phoenix
BigDogInAZ - Chandler
Gig103 - East Valley
Javelin - Tucson

gwsmallwood - Gilbert
AZPatriot - Tucson
mcdig - Tucson
ColeMinor- Phoenix
JAM62377 - Gilbert
techblade01 - Chandler
DFoulk- Maricopa
Silverirae- Litchfield Park
Reverend Bow - Yuma
azwetshaver - Mesa
uacowboy - Corona de Tucson
IMightBeWrong- Anthem
Soron- Tucson

RunFoxRun - Bisbee, AZ
ackvil - Chandler, AZ
s2mason - Mesa,AZ

hipower - Tucson, AZ
CaptainScallawag - Tucson, AZ

if I missed anyone, or any of the cities are incorrect let me know

Speaking of Sterilizing the Pass Around LOL just kidding, I am a UA alum, but if it does not have a saddle, wheels or an engine I really don't keep up with the sports or rivalry, other than when we go up and paint your A. It's rodeo week down here

didnt you and I have a rib poke fest about his awhile ago? Lol!

I GOT THE BOX!!! I feel like a kid on in a candy shop ha. I'll let you know how it goes!!! Some good looking stuff in here!!

2015 A.R.S.E Pass-Around #1 - STATUS: 2/25/2015
6. RunFoxRun - Current
7. Azpatriot66
8. Reverend Bow

9. skypsyd

Awesome! Have a blast with it!

I am not much for watching grown men play with balls and smack each other's butt for a "good game" either .... it's gotta have sails or tires to keep me interested and there used to be a third one on that list till I met my wife

Top Bottom