What's new

Arizona Retro Shave Enthusiasts- A Brotherhood for us ZONIES

How was that Blades Grim Dave? I knew you were itching to try it.

Erik:
it was fantastic, easy load, great scent, really developed once lathered. It is a fairly thirsty soap but will very little effort has enough for a ton of passed with a bunch left over, post shave feel was good, not as slick between passes, but overall a fine soap. This one is a keeper

A.R.S.E Pass-Around Mark II - Updated 3.18.2014

1. Skypsyd - Current
2. Mkiraly
3. Silverirae
4. uacowboy
9. RunFoxRun
10. Azpatriot66

Erik:
it was fantastic, easy load, great scent, really developed once lathered. It is a fairly thirsty soap but will very little effort has enough for a ton of passed with a bunch left over, post shave feel was good, not as slick between passes, but overall a fine soap. This one is a keeper

Nice. I was very intrigued by the scent, but my wife vetoed it.

The one I am having an issue with is the Stirling Earl Grey, my SWMBO is a huge tea fan and when she saw it she dived into the box, however the look on her face was priceless when she took a whiff. The facial expressions her face was able to contort were rather amusing, but after smelling it I had to agree. Somewhat a mixture of old tennis shoe and a wet ashtray. Had to close it up, in fact my Lilac Vegetal, and Tabac threatened to move out if I used it:lol:. It's too bad as I was really looking forward to it, as I love most Stirling soaps, but this one was vetoed in a big way before it even got out of the box LOL. I will place a Hazmat sticker on it for the next victim LOL

The experiment is to see if the shower after keeps me from getting the few blemishes I tend to get around my chin still have a good shave. The shave was great and so far it seems to have had the desired effect.

As for the soap I love it. It is only partially homemade in truth. I got the melt and pour shave soap base from bramble berry to remove some of the variables since this was my first time doing this. I just melted it into the bowl and mixed in a little bentonite, menthol crystals and peppermint and lime essential oils. It has become my favorite soap. Lathers really well and good slickness. Plus it has a great cooling effect.

AZ SotD 03-18-2015
Theme: On the Cheap (One man's fresh and lemony is another man's urinal puck)

$03-18-2015.jpg

Last edited:
I bought that Merkur 42c as kind of a novelty...saw it, it looked old school so why not. It sat in its box since before thanksgiving I broke it out just this Sunday. I really like the performance of the open comb style.

Last edited:
AZSOTD 3.19.2015 Planned

proxy.php

Interested with your take on the Col. Conk This was the last stuff I will every buy from Crescent. Got this at the same time I picked up Le Pere Lucien and when I took a whiff they were very very similar with lots of rosemary and sage.

Interested with your take on the Col. Conk This was the last stuff I will every buy from Crescent. Got this at the same time I picked up Le Pere Lucien and when I took a whiff they were very very similar with lots of rosemary and sage.

Well, I did not have high hopes for this, as I am not a huge glycerin soap fan, and I cannot normally do AS balms, however the Cedar and Rosemary scent was very nice, and paired perfectly with the Mary Kay Tribute cologne. Was pleasantly surprised with the soap, easy load as expected, however the creamy lather and slickness was not. Just a bit of added water and it became a fantastic lather with great volume I do a 4 pass shave (Gillette Slide) and touch-ups and had enough lather for a whole bunch more. I would have to say from a glycerin "melt and pour" type of soap it is by far one of the best I have used, edging out Mama Bears, and definitively better than VDH.
The AS balm was also a pleasant surprise, as it did not remain lotion like, and only a very small amount was needed and did not stay oily on the skin, good lasting power as well.
I would have not given Col. Conk a second glance before trying, but now I think it will have a place in the rotation. Good summer scent. Acts very much like a tallow soap, and great post shave face feel

BTW, nice set up for your shave today, classic! :thumbup:

Last edited:
That is great to hear Dave, I did not try it as when I took a whiff it was so similar to the Lucien that I just packed it right away.

Last edited:
An AZ Shave of the day!! What a great idea!!! I used to post in the B&B SOTD, but it gets a little time consuming. BUt an occasional AZSOTD sound right up my alley.

Here was today

Semogue SOC Boar
RazoRock Chianti Lavender
Gillette New
Gillette Silver Blue blade
Proraso AS splash

$3-19-2015.jpg

Dave how many of the Mystic Waters soaps do you have and how would you rate the scents?

I have 3 of Michelle's soaps and the scents are incredible. Not to mention that they are by far the slickest soaps I have ever tried. I have literally had the brush slip out of my hand while face lathering and the razor slip out of my hand during a pass. I have to consciously rinse my hands between passes. The post shave feel of these soaps is also the best of any soap I have tried. Not drying at all. The only down side to these soaps, is my inability to lather them with ease( I posted that earlier in this thread). But with a little extra whipping, I can get some awesome results.

Here is a quick take on the 3 scents I have.

Frankincense and Myyrh- I dont know what Frankincense or Myyrh is, but I like what I smell. The scent difficult to describe. It smells similar to Caties Bubbles LPV with a hint of maybe a kids play dough. If you like LPV or say a scent like JPG Le Male, you will probably enjoy this scent. Big thumbs up since I am allergic to LPV.

Sandalwood Rose- to me smells very similar to Frankincense and Myyrh with a little more natural scent. I don't pick up Sandalwood or the rose scent. It blends together into its own scent. I don't like TOBS sandalwood, T&H sandalwood, or DR Harris sandalwood that much. It is not a classic strong sandalwood scent. Don't be turned off by it if you don't like sandalwood either.

RosaLimone- Well I love the scent of RR San Valentino (also rose lemon) so I was eager to try this one. This scent is a predominantly rose scent with a hint of lemon. It is not a synthetic rose scent like TOBS, it is more of a single rose, natural rose scent like T&H rose cream. Just close your eyes and take a big whiff of a big fragrant rose, and that's what you got. With a hint of lemon.

Last edited:
didn't like the blue pic?

I did I think it would work better for another one I have in mind.

I was thinking about posting these things but TBH...even though I have a lot of soaps and aftershaves there are only so many combos.

In the future I think I will post my SOTD but save the pics for Sundays or something like that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom