What's new

Ad says "1920's Gillette" . But it's a NEW LC right?

I could use some help here, because this popped up on CL with a case. They say it's a 1920s but I thought that the razors from that decade had posts, and this has the channel in the head which should make it a 1930s NEW.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I am not sure his asking price is worth it compared to ones on eBay in better condition, but before I even consider negotiating or going to see it in person I wanted to make sure it was what I'm looking for. Which is a NEW LC :001_smile

Yes, a NEW LC. One of the first made btw, since it doesn't have patent #s on the plate. Doesn't look bad at all, if the price is right ...

That is indeed a New LC with the ball-end handle. Many (most?) sellers do not have a clue what they actually have. Lurk around the auction sites for a while and you'll see all sorts of mis-identified razors.

If you do check it out, look closely for cracks in the handle. While small cracks should not be a deal-breaker (they are extremely common, and can be repaired), you can use them to negotiate the price down.

--Bob

Hi,

Misidentified are all over. Especially the Regus and Patoff models. :p

In this case, it is a NEW Long Comb with an Ball Handle. That handle likely has a 1920 patent date on the shaft right above the ball, which is where the seller would have obtained his info from. So, in this case an understandable situation since the baseplate is dateless. ;)

Edit: the pic looks like the stamping on the handle is at the top. Might be the ends have been swapped around. Not like that is anything new, either. (pun unintended, but now that I see it, I like it!)

Stan

Last edited:
Top Bottom