What's new

A Scam & A Cautionary Tale

I'm curious what the process is like if I were to notify the local police. They take a report and then forward it on to the Erie PA police? And then what. Do they pay a visit to the guy?

Its not the money so much as it is the fact that you can't stop this from happening again with this seller. Someone could be contacting him right now going through the same process. Like I said, I don't see a reason why someone couldn't sell an item more than once. Crazy world right?

Oddly enough, the guy advertised it for sale. What would happen if someone from his area asked about it and stopped to look at it. He'd need to sell it to that person right? That would put an end to the scam and he would need to find a few pics of some other item to use.

All said, I'd love to have that razor.

So far I have put in a claim with my credit card co to recover the money.
I've also put in a claim with the FTC.

I thought about writing the guy a letter. I thought about calling him. The more I think about it the more I think that might be a bad idea.

The more I talk about this the better I feel so thanks!

Did I mention I'd love to have that razor.

Dirty

Report the incident to police.
Best of luck there.

About 7-10y ago, my wife’s iPhone was lifted from her stroller at a playground while she was attending to our daughters.

A day or so later we found it listed locally - easily identifiable marks on her phone made it easy to confirm.

We reached out to seller to negotiate a price and then to the local PD for what we thought would be an easy slam-dunk, but they wanted nothing to do with it all.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I'm curious what the process is like if I were to notify the local police. They take a report and then forward it on to the Erie PA police? And then what. Do they pay a visit to the guy?

Its not the money so much as it is the fact that you can't stop this from happening again with this seller. Someone could be contacting him right now going through the same process. Like I said, I don't see a reason why someone couldn't sell an item more than once. Crazy world right?

Oddly enough, the guy advertised it for sale. What would happen if someone from his area asked about it and stopped to look at it. He'd need to sell it to that person right? That would put an end to the scam and he would need to find a few pics of some other item to use.

All said, I'd love to have that razor.

So far I have put in a claim with my credit card co to recover the money.
I've also put in a claim with the FTC.

I thought about writing the guy a letter. I thought about calling him. The more I think about it the more I think that might be a bad idea.

The more I talk about this the better I feel so thanks!

Did I mention I'd love to have that razor.

Dirty

For something this small (no offense intended), most departments will tell you to come in and file a report.

Which the staff on duty will laugh at during their next break, and toss in with the other 200 reports for that month that will then collect dust.

Unless it involves serious money, or an operation that amounts to it, or physical harm to a person, most police departments generally aren’t interested in one-offs on small items like this. Most can barely keep up with the serious crimes anymore.

Which is why if you happen to know the guy’s address, go there and sock him one, all that will do is get you arrested. Years ago, you might have been able to go there with a friend to ‘talk it over’ and ’resolve’ it. But not today.

I would just move on, leave whatever FB report or feedback you can, and consider it a hopefully not too expensive lesson.

• Sad
Reactions: ctr
Speaking of scams: I get a text message supposedly from my bank: there is a charge of $860 on Ebay on your CC (yesterday), if you didn't make this charge: call.......... . Before calling I did look up the number....listed to someone that sells potatoes. Then I went to my bank acct and no such charge..... Didn't call the number as I am roaming internationally..... Bet they are fishing to get your Acct #, password, etc........

Problem is , they never land in jail.............probably billion$ stolen every year through CC's.

Had this happen years back. The police really cant do anything or have the manpower anyways, but you can file a police report so its on record and then call your local magistrate. They'll let you know your options. At least filing the police report may help with the credit card company. Adds some legitimacy to your claim.

It prob depends on the monetary value for what can be filed at magistrate and up to you if its worth the time or just want to do it out of principal. Then you have to think about if you file something, the guy will know who you are, if he doesn't already. Doesnt take much to find out where you live either, and people are nuts.

But i wouldnt try to make any contact with him. The benefit of either getting the razor or your money back isnt nearly worth what could happen should things get sideways.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
It was listed as "1953 gillette 24k gold plated safety razor"(Actual listing). It was clean and in a nice case and had an old gillette razor dispenser. I offered less until such time as I could take delivery and look it over. If it looked good I'd pay the balance. Since I was paying what he was asking there was no "low-ball" offer made. I thought the price was fair. Not a steal but a fair price I was willing to pay.

Reporting to FB involves checking a box on the listing and that is it. I don't think FB has a phone# or a method of reporting fraud. I they do please let me know.
Sorry this happened. I don't expect FB to do anything. My friend suffered identity theft on FB and managed to stop the $500+ credit card charge by calling the credit card company. FB threw HIM off FB.

Facebook Marketplace is a joke. Unless you facilitate a transaction locally, face-to-face using that venue, flirting with a homecooked mess is very much a reality.
Ironically, the only time I have had payment issues was on a site which prides itself on stiff regulation in an attempt to minimize such activity.
Perhaps I'm just lucky, but any transactions I have had on many of the "more loosely regulated" on line selling/buying forums have been problem free. Never been stiffed on a payment, checks have always cleared. As I said, perhaps just good luck.......

Mr. Harry, I'm also really sorry to hear about what happened to you. Haven't had much experience with this kind of thing, but I would think you could complain to the credit card company and have the charge reversed. The one time I had to do this over an apparent mistaken charge, the merchant was required to produce the signed receipt.

You're right, I think, that the system makes no sense - total risk assumed by buyers, with no leverage when you find out you're dealing with a crook.

Mr. Harry, I'm also really sorry to hear about what happened to you. Haven't had much experience with this kind of thing, but I would think you could complain to the credit card company and have the charge reversed. The one time I had to do this over an apparent mistaken charge, the merchant was required to produce the signed receipt.

You're right, I think, that the system makes no sense - total risk assumed by buyers, with no leverage when you find out you're dealing with a crook.
Jan,
Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

Yes, I have contacted the CC company. My expectations are pretty low.

It wasn't that long ago that you purchased things that you could see or handle. Mail order moved in a different direction back in the day. Sears and JC Pennys come to mind. I don't recall but I think you could order and send in your money and then pick up your items. At least you had a regulated company that would stand behind their product. You more than likely could decline it if the item didn't meet your expectations.

And then, the World Wide Web happened. Now anyone can be their own company (Ive been selling since the early 2000's). Anyone can advertise and set up a store front with little effort. Little if any protection is provided by some platforms and the bad actors take advantage.
I'm sure this will change in time but there will always be disreputable types that will have no qualms about scamming someones money.

I'm glad I'm not one of those folks. Dishonesty is its own reward.

Dirty

Police have become accustomed to ignoring crimes, especially common ones like muggings, petty theft and scams. My brother was mugged in the city where we grew up and the police told him there was nothing they could do and he should stay off the street at night. I live in a small town that is a speed trap on a highway. We have an active police force and no crime. This county has little crime that is generally limited to certain families. If anything does happen, it gets overblown into a major incident (life in a small town).

1] lodge a police report with your local police. If it is across state lines it might get the FBI involved.
2] Always use PayPal for this very reason.

It was listed as "1953 gillette 24k gold plated safety razor"(Actual listing). It was clean and in a nice case and had an old gillette razor dispenser. I offered less until such time as I could take delivery and look it over. If it looked good I'd pay the balance. Since I was paying what he was asking there was no "low-ball" offer made. I thought the price was fair. Not a steal but a fair price I was willing to pay.

Reporting to FB involves checking a box on the listing and that is it. I don't think FB has a phone# or a method of reporting fraud. I they do please let me know.
I may have missed it but what method did you use to pay?

If you paid by card or Paypal (goods & services only) you are protected. You can notify your card provider that the item wasn’t received, and raise a chargeback. The card company will apply a temporary credit to your account and then investigate with the vendor. If the vendor can’t prove you received the item the card company will reimburse you and take the money back from the merchant or deduct it from the merchant’s next sale (or if they can’t get the money then they will still credit you and write it off, and most likely terminate the merchant’s card acceptance agreement).

Same process if you receive a defective product or the wrong item, and the vendor does not resolve it - if you paid by card or Paypal g&s.

This is why card companies charge a processing fee to cover such losses. They expect a level of merchant fraud and they have systems and fees to manage the risk and ensure they do not lose money overall. Card providers generally make this process very easy for you - it is an ordinary part of the service for their card holders.

If you paid by bank transfer, cheque, money order, or Paypal friends & family you have no protection. For this reason you should not use these payment methods when sending money to someone you do not know. Always pay by card or Paypal g&s so that your purchase is protected.

Last edited:
If you paid by card or Paypal (goods & services only) you are protected. You can notify your card provider that the item wasn’t received, and raise a chargeback. The card company will apply a temporary credit to your account and then investigate with the vendor. If the vendor can’t prove you received the item the card company will reimburse you and take the money back from the merchant or deduct it from the merchant’s next sale (or if they can’t get the money then they will still credit you and write it off, and most likely terminate the merchant’s card acceptance agreement).

Same process if you receive a defective product or the wrong item, and the vendor does not resolve it - if you paid by card or Paypal g&s.

This is why card companies charge a processing fee to cover such losses. They expect a level of merchant fraud and they have systems and fees to manage the risk and ensure they do not lose money overall. Card providers generally make this process very easy for you - it is an ordinary part of the service for their card holders.

If you paid by bank transfer, cheque, money order, or Paypal friends & family you have no protection. For this reason you should not use these payment methods when sending money to someone you do not know. Always pay by card or Paypal g&s so that your purchase is protected.
Many on FB marketplace only want PayPal F&F. I always offer G&S and to cover the up charge. If they say no, then I say no.

If you do a chargeback on PayPal and tell them that you didn't receive the product you have ordered, you will always get your money back. But here is what I wonder, what if there is a vendor and 10 people asked for a chargeback via PayPal. What will PayPal do? Will they close his account?

Here in NL, most payments are done via a wireless bank transfer. Even if you get scammed the bank won't give you your money back. This happened to someone I know, the bank said they will investigate only when 4+ people have filled in a report against that person, this doesn't mean you get your money back. You know what the reason is? They say that the scammer didn't force you nor stole it, you made the transfer voluntarily.

Top Bottom