What's new

INFO! B&B's new BST guidelines (updated November 17th, 2022)

BST guidelines:
By using the BST you're agreeing to our "Caveat Emptor" (Let the buyer beware) policy. This means the administrators, moderators and B&B are not responsible for any possible negative outcomes that may result from sale/trade agreements made in the BST forum.

• Ongoing, regular participation in the community at Badger & Blade is a requirement to use the Buy Sell Trade Forum
  • To create a thread (once every 15 days) you must be a member for 45 days with 50 quality posts
  • You may post a response to For Sale/Trade threads at any time after you reach 45 days and 50 posts, however best practice is to send a private conversation to arrange a sale or trade. There is no need to post interest in the thread.
  • Members who do not meet the 45 days/50 post requirement, but who have at least 10 posts can reply to ads by starting a private conversation through the members profile
  • Gift cards, store credits or reward points, tobacco, alcohol, firearms and firearms parts, and products of questionable taste or dubious legality may not be sold nor traded in the BST. Legal tobacco, alcohol and firearms accessories are acceptable.
  • Sales and Trades are limited to in hand goods. Each B/S/T sale post must contain a legible, physical note with user name and date in the photo of each item being sold or traded, either grouped or individually. Subsequent detail photo's of the same items in the same post may have, but do not require a user name and date included. Name and date must be photographed, not photoshopped to ensure that items for sale are actual in hand goods.
  • Prices are mandatory and can not be deleted after the sale. No make me an offer type posts.
  • For buyer protection payment must be made using PayPal Goods and Services only. Any seller requesting "Friends and Family" or other payments are violating the forum rules and should be reported.
  • Do not ask potential buyers to calculate fee offsets, the price posted should be all inclusive. PayPal forbids sellers from charging buyers their selling fees.
  • On topic discussion is encouraged. Seller response to value comments is discouraged. Repeating the same comments voiced by others is discouraged.
  • The BST is not to be used as a storefront as determined at moderator discretion
  • Posting a BST ad that is not in compliance with these guidelines will result in the thread being deleted. The member must wait two weeks till he is able to post there again. Repeated posting of BST threads that are not in compliance will result in a ban from the BST area.
The Moderators of Badger & Blade reserve the right to alter and apply these guidelines on a case by case basis at anytime.

Has any thought been given to expanding the payment options to include Zelle? Unlike PayPal it would not impose a fee on either the buyer or the seller, and it is widely supported by most major (and some not so major) financial institutions. It need not be a requirement, but it could be an option if both buyer and seller were amenable.

Reactions: Kix

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Has any thought been given to expanding the payment options to include Zelle? Unlike PayPal it would not impose a fee on either the buyer or the seller, and it is widely supported by most major (and some not so major) financial institutions. It need not be a requirement, but it could be an option if both buyer and seller were amenable.

Does Zelle have a buyer protection service on fraudulent transaction?

I'm not sure how that comes into play in the scenario of a private sale on the B&B forum. In what scenario would that buyer protection service be employed and how? If I buy something and send my funds to PayPal and the seller never sends the item or sends a somehow defective item, would PayPal do something about it? If so, I would say we should allow B&B members to make their own decision as to whether they want to use PayPal or Zelle. As a buyer, I would be willing to take the chance that my counterparty was trustworthy and let him keep the 3% that would otherwise go to PayPal. As a seller, as long as the buyer agreed, I would prefer to use Zelle and keep the 3% myself.

Do we know how often a member has had to utilize the buyer protection service?

My preferred policy for B&B would be to stipulate that PayPal Goods and Services must be used unless both buyer and seller agree to use Zelle. If the buyer wants the insurance, then the seller would have to respect that and accept PayPal.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I'm not sure how that comes into play in the scenario of a private sale on the B&B forum. In what scenario would that buyer protection service be employed and how? If I buy something and send my funds to PayPal and the seller never sends the item or sends a somehow defective item, would PayPal do something about it? If so, I would say we should allow B&B members to make their own decision as to whether they want to use PayPal or Zelle. As a buyer, I would be willing to take the chance that my counterparty was trustworthy and let him keep the 3% that would otherwise go to PayPal. As a seller, as long as the buyer agreed, I would prefer to use Zelle and keep the 3% myself.

My preferred policy for B&B would be to stipulate that PayPal Goods and Services must be used unless both buyer and seller agree to use Zelle. If the buyer wants the insurance, then the seller would have to respect that and accept PayPal.

We specify goods and services on PayPal which affords buyer protection. So yes to most of your questions

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If I buy something and send my funds to PayPal and the seller never sends the item or sends a somehow defective item, would PayPal do something about it?
Yes they would. It's been categorically documented.
As a seller, as long as the buyer agreed, I would prefer to use Zelle and keep the 3% myself.
As a platform hosting the transaction, we prefer our members avoiding losses due to unscrupulous scammers. Even once is enough to justify the avoidance of the drama and dealing with the aftermath.
Not every day, but frequently enough that we've included the exclusive use of PayPal Goods and Services as the only authorized method for payment here.
One may avoid the 3% fee by using a platform other than B&B for their sales.
We're not the only game in town.
We're happy to let someone else deal with the drama.

I'm surprised that it's an issue, but then my wife tells me (and has been telling me for 50 years) that I am too trusting and gullible. I would have thought that since this is a community of hobbyists and not a commercial enterprise, folks selling and buying on the BST could be counted on to be honest and truthful, obviating the need for buyer protection. Certainly that has been my (admittedly limited) experience in dealing with others here. I guess I've just been lucky.

I'm surprised that it's an issue, but then my wife tells me (and has been telling me for 50 years) that I am too trusting and gullible. I would have thought that since this is a community of hobbyists and not a commercial enterprise, folks selling and buying on the BST could be counted on to be honest and truthful, obviating the need for buyer protection. Certainly that has been my (admittedly limited) experience in dealing with others here. I guess I've just been lucky.
This would typically be the case, but scammers are prepared to take advantage of a community of hobbyists. Build up some rapport, meet the posting requirements, list a load of items, take the cash and run.

Unfortunately, not everyone is as scrupulous as they could be. Personally if I'm buying remotely, especially from someone I don't know personally, I would prefer the security of some type of buyer protection. Likewise if I was selling.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Would use Zelle only to pay someone who I know and trust!! Been burned once badly, so never again. There is no protection for the buyer. I use mainly Venmo to pay for services of people I know and could get a hold of if needed.

this is the latest I could find as of Feb 4, 2024 on PayPal’s website on 1099’s which is why I believe half of the people shy away:

Current Form 1099-K Reporting Thresholds​

Tax laws can change from year to year, and you shouldn’t have to be a tax expert to understand IRS requirements that may impact you. That’s where PayPal comes in! As a payment settlement entity, PayPal is required to report payment activity and provide tax documents in certain situations. Read on to learn about this year’s reporting requirements.

What is the 2023 Form 1099-K IRS tax reporting threshold on PayPal?​

The IRS has recently announced an additional delay in implementing the new $600 USD reporting threshold for goods and services transactions, reverting the 2023 requirement for Form 1099-K reporting back to the 2022 figures (total payments exceed $20,000 USD and there are more than 200 transactions). This means that similar to prior years, PayPal and Venmo will continue to follow these IRS reporting thresholds. Additionally, PayPal and Venmo will file Form 1099-K for any customer who was subject to backup withholding during 2023, regardless of total payments for the year. In the case where an individual state has a lower threshold, PayPal and Venmo will report accordingly.
If you live in the following US states, you’re subject to a lower reporting threshold:
  • Vermont, Massachusetts, Virginia, Maryland: $600 USD in gross payment volume from sales of goods or services in a single calendar year, regardless of the number of transactions.
  • Illinois: over $1,000 USD in gross payment volume from sales of goods or services in a single calendar year and four or more separate transactions.
The Form 1099-K that you receive is based on your primary address on the last day of the previous tax year. If you changed your primary address to one of these states after that date, your account activity would be captured in Form 1099-K reporting for the following tax year.
PayPal doesn’t provide tax advice. For questions regarding your specific circumstances, you should consult your tax advisor.

What if PayPal already sent some of my money to the IRS because of backup withholding?​

PayPal withheld money from certain accounts that were missing tax information at a rate of 24 percent, as required by the IRS. We will issue customers a Form 1099-K and they will be able to claim a credit or refund of the backup withholding when they file their own taxes with the IRS. For more information, visit the IRS website hereand here.

What should I expect in 2024?​

PayPal is closely monitoring for developments and official guidance from the IRS.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
this is the latest I could find as of Feb 4, 2024 on PayPal’s website on 1099’s which is why I believe half of the people shy away:

Current Form 1099-K Reporting Thresholds​

Tax laws can change from year to year, and you shouldn’t have to be a tax expert to understand IRS requirements that may impact you. That’s where PayPal comes in! As a payment settlement entity, PayPal is required to report payment activity and provide tax documents in certain situations. Read on to learn about this year’s reporting requirements.

What is the 2023 Form 1099-K IRS tax reporting threshold on PayPal?​

The IRS has recently announced an additional delay in implementing the new $600 USD reporting threshold for goods and services transactions, reverting the 2023 requirement for Form 1099-K reporting back to the 2022 figures (total payments exceed $20,000 USD and there are more than 200 transactions). This means that similar to prior years, PayPal and Venmo will continue to follow these IRS reporting thresholds. Additionally, PayPal and Venmo will file Form 1099-K for any customer who was subject to backup withholding during 2023, regardless of total payments for the year. In the case where an individual state has a lower threshold, PayPal and Venmo will report accordingly.
If you live in the following US states, you’re subject to a lower reporting threshold:
  • Vermont, Massachusetts, Virginia, Maryland: $600 USD in gross payment volume from sales of goods or services in a single calendar year, regardless of the number of transactions.
  • Illinois: over $1,000 USD in gross payment volume from sales of goods or services in a single calendar year and four or more separate transactions.
The Form 1099-K that you receive is based on your primary address on the last day of the previous tax year. If you changed your primary address to one of these states after that date, your account activity would be captured in Form 1099-K reporting for the following tax year.
PayPal doesn’t provide tax advice. For questions regarding your specific circumstances, you should consult your tax advisor.

What if PayPal already sent some of my money to the IRS because of backup withholding?​

PayPal withheld money from certain accounts that were missing tax information at a rate of 24 percent, as required by the IRS. We will issue customers a Form 1099-K and they will be able to claim a credit or refund of the backup withholding when they file their own taxes with the IRS. For more information, visit the IRS website hereand here.

What should I expect in 2024?​

PayPal is closely monitoring for developments and official guidance from the IRS.
If people want to shy away from paying their lawful taxes, that's their option.
If you're turning over a profit of over $600, $1000, or more - you ought to be paying your taxes.
We're not going to provide a platform or means where someone can avoid their legal obligations.
PayPal isn't being punitive with the tax reporting, they are following the law, as all members of B&B should.
Render unto Caesar...
Moreover, as the BST is continuously identified in the terms of use as a means for friendly exchange of goods, and NOT as a profit center, another venue would be best for those people seeking to profit.

Top Bottom