What's new

First time razor honing tips

I recently decided to start shaving with a straight razor, so after doing a fair bit of research, I started looking for a razor. Wanting to experiment without initially destroying a high end razor, I decided to try to restore an el cheapo razor I found on eBay for £10.00. Of course I was warned against this, but I've got an engineering background, and I reckoned it would be good experience for future maintenance.
The after I got the razor cleaned up and polished, I went to work with my whetstones like I usually do for my standard knives. As the blade wasn't in such bad condition, I started on a 1k whetstone and built up to the final sharpening stone i usually use for blades at 5k. To finish honing the blade, I bought a 10k hone on ebay. Once I had finished honing and stropping, I tried the usual sharp tests (no paper cutting) and the blade was very sharp (easily shaving hairs off my arm) but could not "pop" a hanging hair. Its pretty close, but after many attempts at honing, I still cant get it Quite right.
Can anyone give any tips on how I might get the edge just a little sharper?

Hard to tell from here. Leather does finish the edge though. perhaps try some stropping on clean leather and see again.

1k-5k10k are big jumps. Unlikely you ever removed the 1k scratches. You probably have both 1k and 5k scratches that the 10k can't remove. On a knife you won't notice the big jumps because you don't care about smooth. But on your face it is very noticeable. I would not try to shave with it even if it does pass HHT.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Welcome to B&B! As ready asked above, what stones are you using, specifically?

The stones I used were;
1; Wasserkraft 1k/4k 1st side
2; Wasserkraft 2k/6k 1st side
3; Wasserkraft 1k/4k 2nd side
4; Wasserkraft 2k/6k 2nd side
(Sorry, 6k not 5k)
5; 8-10k natural slate from ebay
(http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171293370855?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT)
6; Leather straop

The edge is completely smooth, and I have actually been shaving with it (it's a much smoother shave than than my old cartridge razor) but I still cant get it "hair popping" sharp. Could it just be my honing technique?

I'm new too but I'm starting to finally have some success now and the biggest mistake I was making was not staying on the 1K stone long enough to get the bevel set properly. I got some shaveable edges along the way even when I was short cutting the bevel but they weren't great.

After doing this multiple times I'm realizing what a properly set bevel is and what a difference it makes. For me it wasn't anything I was doing wrong I just had some razors that had harder steel that required more time to get it set properly. I still have one that I'm fighting with but it will come around with time.

The 1K bevel setting seems to be 90% of the work and the other stones seem to progress much more quickly. Don't depend on the other stones to fix what you didn't stay on the 1K long enough to accomplish.

Top Bottom