What's new

Does anyone here live in Northern California that I can hone a razor side by side with?

I want to form a study group in Northern California, the San Francisco Bay Area of fellows who would like to work and document as a group, the posting of thoughts and practical results directly onto and exclusively for for Badger & Blade (the greatest shaving forum on the web). This would ideally be a study group that could meet up at the convenience of all once a month or so to show and tell their honing and shaving experiences.
I belonged to such a group about 15 years ago, and it was a lot of fun. This is not the kind of group meeting that would necessarily exist for years and years, but more likely 4 or 5 or more meet-ups, and the reason why is because as a group we all become experts so quickly when we share hands-on knowledge and technique.

The group meeting would most easily occur at one of the member's homes or even at a public place that preferably would allow us to set up a table or two. In the good weather months, this can be outside or even in a park setting. The beauty of honing razors is that it does not necessarily require electricity, although for documentation purposes this is usually a help. These days we all have battery power.

My shop is always open, it is in a garage, and others might have a similar setup.

Any thoughts?

Alx

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
A great idea! I’ve stated many times here how beneficial it would be to have some real time practical sharing of skills and knowledge with an experienced honer. Especially those early days. Just to have them take one of my more challenging razors and see how they might approach things with the tools that I have, what to look for, time spent on different stones and why etc. That would be fun!

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I’d sign up Alex, but the drive would be a bit much. Anyone in the area, go for it. Trust me, I have visited Alex and learned so much.

For those of us that aren’t in the beautiful Bay area, I’ll reiterate Alex’s concept that edge exchanges are a great way to learn, and your partners are as close as your mailbox. Not quite the same as in person interaction by a good bit, but still an amazing opportunity to learn.

I spent many holidays in the Winters/Vacaville area. My sister lived there for years. A farm boy from the South was right at home with all the diverse crops in the Sacramento Valley. I could drive for hours just enjoying the scenery. I never missed a trip to the bay or Napa. One of my favorite places to visit.

That would be cool! Always striving to learn more.
I live in the South Bay.

I need to visit you soon so you can match a tomo for a barbers hone I like. The one you did for my Kurumaguchi works so good I need you to do it for this stone too.

I plan to visit family in the Bay this summer. If that overlaps with a meet-up, could I redeem a guest pass?
I am always within reach with my phone, If 2 or 3 fellows can cooperate to make a group I will be happy to host you here in Sonoma or if a few of you are close to each other I will come and meet up with you. Driving to San Jose or the East Bay at choice hours to avoid traffic is easy for me because I am self-employed and I can write off the gas cost, my phone is 707-206-1443.
Alx

I live in the South Bay.

I need to visit you soon so you can match a tomo for a barbers hone I like. The one you did for my Kurumaguchi works so good I need you to do it for this stone too.

I live in the South Bay.

How does January 13 or 14th sound? I have a 4th person.
Alex

Top Bottom