What's new

What Honing Stone to get?

Well, I wasn't expecting anybody would think it appropriate for my razor; if nothing else, I don't know what size the grit (or whatever's getting measured) is. Somebody wanted to see it, so I obliged.
that stone also looks like a scissor stone (pen knife hone size) I bought my mom for her fancy quilting/fabric scissors. softer than an ark for sure, but do well enough quickly on scissors (I recently cleaned up a pair of her kitchen scissors with hers and my ark) . it's probably just fine on a field touch up for a knife as well.

The other side has curves and a groove, probably for fishing hooks. It's claimed to be based on a design that the Vikings used. I can't imagine getting good results on a razor with it, but it keeps my pocket knife and cooking knives amply sharp, and that's all I ask from it.

Trinidad... I know the area. Try and find Jerry Stark. His shop is somewhere in NE Arizona.
If you do, you'll know that it's near the SE corner of Colorado. To get to NE Arizona, I'd have to take the I-25 for about 250 miles to Albuquerque, switch to the I-40 and go west for at least another 500 miles, probably farther. Not an afternoon's ride, that's for sure. Let me ask you if you'd want to take that trip, both ways, just to find out if somebody had a razor you could use at a price you could afford?

It occurs to me that I could also spend a day going across Colorado east to west, ending up near Mesa Verde, then down into Arizona the next day. Even so, it's much farther than I'd consider reasonable unless I knew for sure that I was going to end up with a proper SE!.

“Send me a DM and I will mail you a razor to play with. Don’t get frustrated and keep asking questions. You got this!”

@Sideburns you did see this right? A very generous offer

I can send you a couple sheets of lapping film too. That would last you quite a few touch ups. Send me a pm if you’d like.

I’d call first. Last I heard Jerry took a sabbatical and opened up a restaurant. I’m sure he would find time to offer some guidance and advice though. But, there are myriad other sources for a fine razor and at a reasonable cost. Jerry is a good craftsman but his gear is not inexpensive.
IMG_5923.jpeg

Below is a Thiers Issard I bought for around $175 if I remember correctly. These are fine quality razors available from many vendors. I prefer Griffith Shaving and the Superior Shave.
IMG_1264.jpeg

Here is the sleeper of the bunch. Polish Wapienica quarter hollow. May still be sold by Griffith Shaving. Less than $100. Excellent shaver
IMG_5380.jpeg

Or… just cut to the chase.
Get a new entry level Dovo 5/8 (or 6/8 if you prefer) from The Superior Shave. Jarrod is/was a factory rep for Dovo and has a wealth of knowledge and ability when it comes to setting up a razor, especially Dovos.
IMG_5948.png

Hey…pull the trigger. You will have a lot of support and learn stuff along the way.
Beats watching daytime TV😉

Last edited:
“Send me a DM and I will mail you a razor to play with. Don’t get frustrated and keep asking questions. You got this!”

@Sideburns you did see this right? A very generous offer

I can send you a couple sheets of lapping film too. That would last you quite a few touch ups. Send me a pm if you’d like.
Yes, I saw it. Right now, however, I'm trying to get one honing stone, watch some tutorials on honing and see what I can do with what I've got instead of making my beginner's mistake on a good razor. Later, I'll buy a better razor (I'm not broke, by any means, I just have to be careful with my money.) that I'll be more happy with because it will be one I picked out myself.

Yes, I saw it. Right now, however, I'm trying to get one honing stone, watch some tutorials on honing and see what I can do with what I've got instead of making my beginner's mistake on a good razor. Later, I'll buy a better razor (I'm not broke, by any means, I just have to be careful with my money.) that I'll be more happy with because it will be one I picked out myself.

Good luck on your quest.

Check out the "dilucot" (you can see it if you search that, and there are youtube videos too) on coticules and the tell me if you've got any interest/think you can pull it off and pm me if you think so and we'll talk.

Check out the "dilucot" (you can see it if you search that, and there are youtube videos too) on coticules and the tell me if you've got any interest/think you can pull it off and pm me if you think so and we'll talk.
Interesting, but it doesn't look like something for a beginner at honing razors. Thanx, but I think it's probably best if I start with baby steps.

Interesting, but it doesn't look like something for a beginner at honing razors. Thanx, but I think it's probably best if I start with baby steps.
The appeal is you only need 1 stone+slurry stone and you can run a while progression on that one stone and don't need to buy multiple $50+ stones(at the cheap end). They are harder to learn initially, especially when you're figuring out torque and pressure but they Stent as hard as they're made out to be. If you have interest after you get practiced and want to try one out pm before you buy and you can try one that can for sure finish a razor, that way you Stent throwing away money on stones not suited for the job at hand. In my controversial opinion, guys get discouraged because they go through 3 or 4 different coticules, do everything right and can't figure out why they can't get a good shave from it, and I think the answer a lot of the time is that they just don't have razor grade coticules.

Top Bottom