What's new

Cella Like but with a different scent? Need recommendations.

I LOVE Cella for the way it lathers and shaves. Really not much better out there. But I am not a big fan of the scent. Don't love almond and it is not very strong or long lasting. I am looking for a soft soap like Cella, that is tallow based and has a stronger, longer lasting, fresher (lemon, for example) scent. Any recommendations out there.

I would think anything from razorock would be great. I have several from them that are as good or better than cella. If you want the balance of a tallow soap with the lather ability of cella with a citrus like scent, razorock Moroccan secret is fantastic. Tallow based with Arran oil as well, great stuff.

I have the RazoRock P-160, XXX, and FAB. I haven't tried Cella, but supposedly the P-160 has a similar scent and similar performance. In my opinion the P-160 outperforms the XXX and FAB Razorock soaps a bit (but I definitely prefer the XXX and FAB scents!). I'm not sure how they would compare to Cella, but it's probably worth trying since they are good performers at a good price.

Time to try razorock soaps then, because the Cella "cheap marzipan" scent does not agree with me, unfortunately.

OTOH, I love citrus scents.

Thanks for the replies.. .I will try out the Razor Rock soaps... are they all tallow based?

Try Panna Crema or RazoRock if you're looking for an Italian soap.
For a citrus scented soap, the Tiki Citrus Mint Blast is very nice, I've been using it all week.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
For a great citrus scented soft soap in the Italian style I suggest both RazoRock King of the Castle Lime Oil and Maggard Lime & Bergamot. The Maggard soap, which I tested in the last two days, has been a huge surprise for me - unexpectedly excellent.

The RazoRock XXX is really nice and a citrus type scent.
The P160 is like the Cella scent but much stronger with much more of a strong cherry note.
Consistency of these soaps are different than Cella but they are truly excellent.
They are both likely sold out but you should definitely pick them up whenever they get back in stock.

Not citrus scented but Petal Pusher Fancies makes a really nice coconut soap that has about the same buttery consistency as Cella.
They have an orange scented one with some other flower type scents mixed in but I'm sold on the coconut one myself.
They don't get a lot of recognition here and I have to admit I steered clear at first mainly because the name didn't appeal to me. I bought some recently and it's by far the best coconut soap I've tried. Definitely top notch stuff. A nice strong scent and excellent performance. It quickly made it's way into my top 5 favorite soaps of the 200 plus I've tried. It's not tallow but it might as well be because it certainly performs like it is. Excellent after shave face feel as well. I love this stuff.

They have other scents with the same soap base. I own coconut, black tea, and Sandlewood but so far I've only used the coconut. the Black Tea one smells great too and the sandlewood is a clean fresh sandlewood scent. I'm usually not a sandlewood fan but I do like this one. The small tins are just under $10 on their site.

Strop Shoppe SE w/tallow soaps are excellent also. Their Baker Street and Barbershoppe scents are some of my favorites. Performance is excellent with these as well. These are about $20 but are definitely worth it. Really great stuff that I recommend often.

sorry it was supposed to read RR artisan shaving soap called caprican lemon? in general what is the diff between "classic" RR like XXX and the RR artisan shaving line?

Thanks for the replies.. .I will try out the Razor Rock soaps... are they all tallow based?

Some are and some are not. Don't get hung up on tallow only soaps though as there's a lot of great new non tallow soaps out now. I have some that you could try side by side an couldn't pick which one is tallow and witch one is not. Just because it's tallow doesn't mean it's a better soap anymore.

RazoRock soaps are made by four different companies and they don't really tell you witch ones are made by which company. Some are absolutely amazing and some are average to slightly above. The new XXX, One X, Tight Buns, Freedburg and Fine are all made by the same vendor and perform excellent. The P.160 is a remake of an older soap and I love it, really great stuff. Son of Zeus and Mudder Focker are well thought as well.

As far as sifting through the other RazoRock soaps goes, just trust whatever Marco recommends, he's very knowledgeable with his soaps. I've tried a whole lot of soaps myself and I would buy a soap blind based on his recommendation. There are only a few people here that I would buy a soap based on their recommendation alone so I don't say that lightly.

Oldtrout gave you a very good recommendation with the PannaCrema as well.

Thanks to all for the recommendations!!!!

Marco is this the right stuff: RazoRock King of the Castle Lime Oil seen here: It says HARD is there another version?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FVFM7Z0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A34GFFS9XMCYQA

Any of the tallow Razorock soaps. Xxx sounds right for you sent wise. I think, across the board, Razorock tallow out performs cella

sorry it was supposed to read RR artisan shaving soap called caprican lemon? in general what is the diff between "classic" RR like XXX and the RR artisan shaving line?

I believe that razorock is moving to all artisan makers where they weren't all made that way

Last edited:
I have not tried Cella, but I have ABCBA and 3P which to me smelled alike. I can tell you for an absolutely fact that if you get 3P and leave it open for a couple months, it will have no scent. Mine lost all of its Italian almond scent in about that time or less. But lathers and shaves like a dream.

My suggestion, forget about tallow, and try a tub of Proraso croap.
I've really enjoyed Proraso white, altho I expect the red and the green would be equally nice.

Top Bottom