What's new

Arko! Again

Arko is available from Turkish supermarkets here for .99 per puck. Talking about dirty cheap. I like the scent and it gives great lather. I have one puck mashed together with Tabac and three pucks in reserve - I was considering to use them as preshave, but will use them for further shaving for now.

Cheers,

Guido

Last week I ordered and received 3 sticks for $6 (225g = 8oz), sliced them up and shoved it into a bowl. It's been about 3 years since I last used it and it's still the same. You get a great shave at a great price. I used a cheap DE razor from Amazon (forgot the name - Utopia maybe?) that I bought 9 years ago for $10 with a Feather blade. BBS shave.

And I still get a laugh out of those who say the scent is off-putting. I mean come'on. It smells like old school soap with some lemon in there. What's so bad about that?

Last week I ordered and received 3 sticks for $6 (225g = 8oz), sliced them up and shoved it into a bowl. It's been about 3 years since I last used it and it's still the same. You get a great shave at a great price. I used a cheap DE razor from Amazon (forgot the name - Utopia maybe?) that I bought 9 years ago for $10 with a Feather blade. BBS shave.

And I still get a laugh out of those who say the scent is off-putting. I mean come'on. It smells like old school soap with some lemon in there. What's so bad about that?
I'm confused about you ordering last week and putting it in a bowl, but it has been three years since you used it but it is the same. Are you a time traveler? :lol:

It's not that the smell is innately bad... It's that a great many urinal cake producers use the exact same fragrance to scent their urinal cakes. With scent being the most memory inducing sense it's hard for a lot of people to not affiliate Arko with said urinal cakes and the toilets they go in.

Plus it's such a synthetic smell... Doesn't really smell like lemons at all in the same way that grape jolly ranchers don't actually taste like grape.

urinal cakes
Like this?
Snl Cake GIF by Saturday Night Live

It's not that the smell is innately bad... It's that a great many urinal cake producers use the exact same fragrance to scent their urinal cakes. With scent being the most memory inducing sense it's hard for a lot of people to not affiliate Arko with said urinal cakes and the toilets they go in.

Plus it's such a synthetic smell... Doesn't really smell like lemons at all in the same way that grape jolly ranchers don't actually taste like grape.
Maybe the thing to do is add a bit of urine to the Arko so that people get the full measure of the smell.

I’ve been using arko! several times during the Decemboar event and it’s become quite apparent it has a definite softening effect on my boar bristle brushes.
I like the combination of a stubby boar brush laden with arko!. Old school shaving at its best.

Well, the Arko Angel visited me this morning with a good shave, in spite of my unwillingness. I used Arko loaded heavily in a wet Simpson Chubby 1 (22mm) and a Parker PTW with a green Astra blade. The shave was very slick, except for one spot. Arko can do the job if needed.

I used Arko for the first time a few months ago thanks to a friend. The scent is not my favorite but it doesn't bother me. It foams quickly and gives me good protection for my straight razors. The result has been an order from Arko.
IMG_20231227_115829.jpg

Arko, Tabac tallow and some old Lea tallow will be my soaps in 2024.

Another Arko shave today. It came out wonderfully. It isn't my favorite scent, and it isn't as good as a lot of my artisan soaps, but it performs nice enough for the price point. It was good and slick and I got a great shave.

Reactions: SDK
Well, no more Arko. The puck is gone. I won't replace it, most likely. I got some good use out of it, just as I have the sticks in the past. However, there are soaps in the price range that I prefer.

Top Bottom