What's new

Cheap Soaps - Arko vs Vitos

The lack of glide and dry post shave generally indicates a subtle reaction to the scent.

I can't use any Italian croaps or Turkish soaps for this very reason. And majority of strongly scented artisan soaps for that matter!

The lather will be shiny, creamy and feel super slick in the hand but once it goes onto my face, the blade feels like it's not gliding at all and the post shave is dry as a desert, even though there's no obvious razor burn or irritation.

In fact, to test this theory I had made a super simple stearic acid and coconut oil soap and kept it unscented, it was a neutral post shave and was super slick.

The lack of glide and dry post shave generally indicates a subtle reaction to the scent.

I can't use any Italian croaps or Turkish soaps for this very reason. And majority of strongly scented artisan soaps for that matter!

The lather will be shiny, creamy and feel super slick in the hand but once it goes onto my face, the blade feels like it's not gliding at all and the post shave is dry as a desert, even though there's no obvious razor burn or irritation.

In fact, to test this theory I had made a super simple stearic acid and coconut oil soap and kept it unscented, it was a neutral post shave and was super slick.

If the added scent chemicals negatively affect the slickness and/or moisturizing properties of the soap, wouldn't all of the scent-free versions of soaps perform better? I don't think I've ever heard anyone else say that before.

If the added scent chemicals negatively affect the slickness and/or moisturizing properties of the soap, wouldn't all of the scent-free versions of soaps perform better? I don't think I've ever heard anyone else say that before.

It's not the scent oils that impact slickness, it's the skin having a reaction which causes the skin to dry out so it makes it seem the soap is lacking slickness but that's not the case. It is the skin's reaction to the soap.

Hence why so many say arko is super slick whilst others say it has no slickness.

To me, cella, arko and the majority of Italian soaps (TFS/TGS, Vitos etc) all feel lacking in slickness but I know they are super slick, it's just that my skin has a reaction to their fragrances.

I think we're starting to move towards the realm of speculation a bit here. My face has reacted to a number of soaps for different reasons and it didn't necessarily compromise the slickness of the soap in any noticable way. A lack of slickness could be caused by a great many things.

I like Vito's between the two, but Arko is a good soap.

Also, I am using the green Vito's, which has no tallow.

What's the new Vitos Green like? It used to be tallow based but it was reformulated. The new ingredients looks pretty good though. I would have bought it but it's not for sale in the UK.

Vitos Green INGREDIENTS Stearic acid, hydrogenated tallow, water, potassium hydroxide, sodium hydroxide, sodium hexametaphosphate, talc, benzaldehide.

Vitos Green INGREDIENTS Stearic acid, hydrogenated tallow, water, potassium hydroxide, sodium hydroxide, sodium hexametaphosphate, talc, benzaldehide.

That's the old one.

The new one is
Stearic Acid, Aqua (Water), Potassium Hydroxide, Cocos Nucifera, (Coconut) Oil, Talc, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Silicate, Benzaldehyde, Tetrasodium EDTA

You can find it here.

I’m one of the few people who actually don’t like tallow that much. This Vito’s green is great for me: I would put it on par with Bigelow/ Proraso. Good stuff.

I think we're starting to move towards the realm of speculation a bit here. My face has reacted to a number of soaps for different reasons and it didn't necessarily compromise the slickness of the soap in any noticable way. A lack of slickness could be caused by a great many things.

Not adding enough water can lead to a lack of slickness.

However, the same brush, same water (reverse osmosis), same gear...

Only difference was the reaction to the soap.
You won't know unless you have experienced it so it's only speculation from your side, not my side.

Now I use my own unscented soap and haven't had a single reaction, and my skin is in the best condition since I started using scented shaving soaps 15 years ago.

What's the new Vitos Green like? It used to be tallow based but it was reformulated. The new ingredients looks pretty good though. I would have bought it but it's not for sale in the UK.
Out of curiosity. About how much does a kilo of Vitos cost in the UK?

Out of curiosity. About how much does a kilo of Vitos cost in the UK?

I bought mine when it was about £10 for the block. Post Brexit, lots of European soaps disappeared from UK sellers and postage rates from European sellers shot up by 500-600% or more, so it's not really possible to buy from Europe anymore.

Not adding enough water can lead to a lack of slickness.

However, the same brush, same water (reverse osmosis), same gear...

Only difference was the reaction to the soap.
You won't know unless you have experienced it so it's only speculation from your side, not my side.

Now I use my own unscented soap and haven't had a single reaction, and my skin is in the best condition since I started using scented shaving soaps 15 years ago.
I don't doubt your own issues may well have been a skin reaction. Just your earlier implication that any time somebody other than yourself experiences a less than slick soap (Arko in your example) that they should presume it's a skin reaction when really it could be a number of issues.

My skin has reacted to a great many soaps (La Toja, just recently) and never once found the slickness to be altered while my skin was freaking out. It's clearly an individual and dynamic thing with many variables and my recognizing this is hardly speculation.

I don't doubt your own issues may well have been a skin reaction. Just your earlier implication that any time somebody other than yourself experiences a less than slick soap (Arko in your example) that they should presume it's a skin reaction when really it could be a number of issues.

My skin has reacted to a great many soaps (La Toja, just recently) and never once found the slickness to be altered while my skin was freaking out. It's clearly an individual and dynamic thing with many variables and my recognizing this is hardly speculation.

The fact that you have never experienced it means you would never have brought it to the OP's attention right?

This is an online forum where people share their experiences. If everyone had the same exact experience, there would be no need for a discussion forum.

What if the fragrance is indeed causing the issue for the user? They wouldn't have heard it from you but perhaps after reading my experience, they could try a few variables to prove/disprove it.

I've experienced it with dozens of soaps, hence why I thought it was important to post my experience.
Especially since switching to unscented has allowed my skin to be in the best shape after many years of using scented soaps!

The fact that you have never experienced it means you would never have brought it to the OP's attention right?

This is an online forum where people share their experiences. If everyone had the same exact experience, there would be no need for a discussion forum.

What if the fragrance is indeed causing the issue for the user? They wouldn't have heard it from you but perhaps after reading my experience, they could try a few variables to prove/disprove it.

I've experienced it with dozens of soaps, hence why I thought it was important to post my experience.
Especially since switching to unscented has allowed my skin to be in the best shape after many years of using scented soaps!
I can attest that from the many many soaps I have tried, the few reactions I’ve received are specific to the fragrance - most definitely almond for me. So unfortunately Vito’s is not one I will be venturing. The other reaction for me is plum.

I’ve experienced both reactions from different brands/soaps

Reactions: nav
I can attest that from the many many soaps I have tried, the few reactions I’ve received are specific to the fragrance - most definitely almond for me. So unfortunately Vito’s is not one I will be venturing. The other reaction for me is plum.

I’ve experienced both reactions from different brands/soaps

Oh yes, benzaldehyde is very nasty stuff!
Causes me reactions every single time.

In addition, nearly every strongly scented soap will cause major reactions so I've basically switched to unscented, and my skin has never been better!

Top Bottom