What's new

Arko! Again

Arko and Parker.jpg

After a long hiatus I got out my puck of Arko shaving soap and used it today. For my brush I used a butterscotch 28mm fibre from Shavemac. The razor was a Parker PTW with a Gillette 7 O'Clock blade.

For those with mosquito genes in your DNA there isn't much I can tell you. However, for the rest of us, I wanted to give some additional thoughts on this tallow soap. The smell, for me, is just okay...not bad, but not great. I think a straight lemon scent would be preferable. It stays with me for a few hours after the shave and gives off a fresh vibe. I realize that the smell is polarizing for many, a love or hate sort of thing, but a few of us can take it or leave the strong citronella scent (I wonder if it repels mosquitos?🤔).

What I like is that it is a tallow soap and so it feels nice and creamy. It is better than any Proraso, by a long shot, as far as performance goes. With Proraso one can shave close and get some burn. Arko gives more protection. A tallow soap I like a little better than Arko is Cella Red. Not only does it smell amazing, but it has lanolin that does nice things to one's skin.

However, Arko is cheap and it works well, though not as well with a true straight razor, but well enough. Soap quality matters when trying to get a very close shave. One can get a smooth, comfortable shave without issues.

@FarmerTan I hope you enjoyed your Arko shave, today.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Arko is STILL the "Best buy" in shaving products!

I hope that my friend Owen sees this.

And that is a BEAUTIFUL brush my friend!

I used something entirely different for me today, something I recently won in a PIF from @wheatshocker. An absolutely sublime shaving cream that my lovely War Department likes the smell of...... it is ALMOST the equal of Arko according to her! A mostly true story doggone!

I used something entirely different for me today, something I recently won in a PIF from @wheatshocker. An absolutely sublime shaving cream that my lovely War Department likes the smell of...... it is ALMOST the equal of Arko according to her! A mostly true story doggone!
well, don't keep us in suspense, what is it?

I realize that the smell is polarizing for many, a love or hate sort of thing, but a few of us can take it or leave the strong citronella scent (I wonder if it repels mosquitos?🤔).
My puck is actually still out on the back porch, when I was putting in the garden this spring there were veritable hordes of mosquitoes and I rubbed the lather all over my arms and hands. It slowed them down but didn't stop them. The backs of my hands looked like I had measles.

In all seriousness, a few days later I accidentally discovered that Poraso Red splash seems to repel mosquitoes pretty well.

Arko is a serviceable soap at a great price....but creamy?! Maybe compared to Proraso which has what I think of as a "fluorescent" lather rather than the "incandescent" lather of a good tallow. I never found Arko exceptionally creamy by tallow standards, just a slick, serviceable soap with a bad post shave and enough fragrance to make an A&E soap blush.

Also, Arko was the undisputed value king when it was 99 cents a stick. While it absolutely remains a great value pick, now that's it's $2.50 a stick most places in the US, I think it will have to share that title. You can get the 3 puck set of Razorock's WTP line for $8.99. That's almost 11 ounces of soap for $9... and you get scent variety...none of which are urinal cake.

With the rising prices and diminishing availability of soaps from the USA here in the EU the Arko proposition becomes ever so much more appealing.

As said before, Arko is the biggest bang for your buck of all the soap readily available. It is a very solid performer, punching far above its weight as suggested by price. It is also easily available here.

Ease of lathering and quality of lather is with our water here second to none. Maybe the soap / water combination is a good one, as I have no issues whatsoever with post shave feel as well.

I have grown accustomed to the the scent, which is very plain and simple indeed. I would not mind a more Cella type of scent indeed.

How does the Maca Root shaving cream smell? I usually detest overly perfumed shaving creams and soaps. I don't want to smell like a metrosexual or girly man, either.

Is not true the juries soap is the same price and a better performer at least for me.

How does the Maca Root shaving cream smell? I usually detest overly perfumed shaving creams and soaps. I don't want to smell like a metrosexual or girly man, either.
Some people love it and some hate it, I personally think it smells great, certainly 100 times better than Arko, hard to describe but fairly fresh and clean, regardless the cream is fantastic

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Smell is almost perfect. Noticable, but subdued. I left the lid off while in the shower and when I got out of the shower the bathroom smelled glorious! Not an "in your face" scent at all. I do not believe that anyone could find this scent polarizing. Nor could they dislike it. Not medicinal either. Just a great balance of "flavors" if you will.

Top Bottom