What's new

Gillette Techmatic

I've been quite intrigued by these razors & their place in shaving technology. I've recently aquired a handle but the cartridge was used. I would like to try one to see if they were really the "worst shave ever". Does anyone know where I can find one? Thanks

Keep an eye out on the auction sites--NOS cartridges occasionally show up there. Be careful that you get the proper cartridge for your razor as Schick also made a band razor, and the cartridges are not interchangeable. Also, don't spend a lot of money on them--I don't think you will care for the shaves.

I had one when I was in the service in 1967. They were horrible razors with an unstable and inefficient 'band' blade.

Check ebay, auctions, and antique stores to name a few. I bought 4 packs (NOS - 10 blades each) on ebay for around $60. I own both Gillette Techmatics and Schick Auto Band razors. Schick Auto Band cartridges can be used with Techmatics but not the other way around because the blade advancement for the Schick is on the cartridge where the Gillette blade advancement is on the handle. To me they both feel the same and use the same angle (almost 45 degrees) in order to get a decent shave.
I only bought these because my father used Techmatics when he was in the military and I wanted to try them and have something to remember him by when eventually dies (hopefully not for a long time). I bought the Schick Auto Band out of curiosity. If I had a choice between these and 5 blade cartridge razors I would go with 5 blade cartridge razors. Shaving is a hobby for some of us and we just have to try almost every razor out there.

Top Bottom