What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

I learned that when you have a cold and the upper lip and nose is red/irritated to begin with, not to try too much passes in that area trying to get it too smooth! Had to put a little ASB on that area but it did go away pretty quick! Lucky!

Darn colds! They can mess up shaving! It was a great shave anyway! :)

I learned today that Astra blades and me are a pretty good mix, feather no way, Derby so so, gillette 7 o'clock green so so but Astra definite yes.
it was a lovely shave, BBS and no irritation, just 2 passes and some touch ups and the job was a good 'un

Turning the bathroom fan off and listening to the sound of how a razor is shaving helps me find the right angle. Or at least closer to that than if the fan was still on . . .

A Merkur 39c slant shaves very nicely (and easily) with 2 passes, if I remember to let the weight of the razor do all of the work.

Using a bowl to lather that has ridges, rather than a smooth bowl makes a heck of a difference in the ease that you can whip up a lather. Have used the cheap salsa bowls with rough interior surface, the smooth stainless dog dish, a handmade ceramic bowl with some imperfections adding texture, a ceramic soup bowl with some texture that looks like a shaving bowl and another disk that looks like a grapefruit - complete with a textured exterior to seem like a grapefruit skin and on the inside 8 lines that are raised like the segments of a grapefruit. Wow, did I create some lather in a very quick time in that new bowl.

My favorite razor is a Neillite 400. It is a bakelite razor with an aggressive and mild side. I've exclusively used the aggressive side. I realized today that if I take a little longer with the mild side under my nose and around my mole under my mouth that I get almost as close of a shave with significantly less irritation.

That stretching for a 5th shave on that Bic Chrome Platinum was not a good idea. I've got 4 great shaves from that blade, but the 5th one left me with irritated skin.

I have realised the imprtance of using enough water during lathering. Also i will load more lather with brush.
Boar brush for hard soap is a better choice, i think.

I added a few drops of Peppermint essence oil to a small sample of witch hazel and it reduces the bad smell and adds a cooling affect! I''m going to try other EO's as well.

-Josh

Today's lesson: sometimes, when its a choice between a good shave and the kid not being tardy to school, grab the Harry's handle and grab your keys.

Top Bottom