What's new

The lkon thread

It is to my understanding that the Shavecraft is the mildest shaver that iKon offers. For the same price, I second the Weber recommendation as it is all stainless (the Shavecraft has an aluminum head I believe) and is a great shaver. Or, if you are looking into iKon, the Deluxe OC and Standard are all stainless and are also very efficient shavers.

+1.

I'm going freaking crazy trying to figure out if there's a quality slant on the market made by a company who stands behind their product! :confused1

I have both the Merkur 37C and the Ikon Slant. I purchased the Ikon head from BST, so I haven't had the pleasure of dealing with Ikon directly. I purchased the Merkur from WCS and they are consistently a pleasure to deal with by mail, by phone, and in person. I consider both the Merkur and the Ikon to be reasonably high quality products.

If your relationship with the people who supply your shaving products is very important to you, you might do better with a vendor who stands behind the products that they sell rather than trying to vet manufacturers. If a manufacturer has poor products and/or poor support they will not be carried by a first rate vendor for long. I do not say this to either make light of your frustration or as an apology for any manufacturer with poor support, but in my experience choosing who you do business with is easier than trying to reform a PITA supplier or business associate.

The Ikon razor has many features including the design and the fact that it is made from stainless steel. But the stainless steel is just that, a feature with advantages and disadvantages like other features of the Ikon. To my untrained eye, it appears that either the materials or the manufacturing process or both are more expensive when it comes to a stainless steel razor. So it seems that a stainless steel razor is going to demand a premium price. Implicit in this discussion is the sensible notion that "for $150 I should get a great razor AND great support." Yet the price point and level of support are two independent choices that a company can make, and I guess the market will decide how effective those choices are.

BTW, while on paper I like many things about the Ikon and would grade it as the better razor, I prefer shaving with the Merkur and use it much more often.

If your relationship with the people who supply your shaving products is very important to you, you might do better with a vendor who stands behind the products that they sell rather than trying to vet manufacturers. If a manufacturer has poor products and/or poor support they will not be carried by a first rate vendor for long. I do not say this to either make light of your frustration or as an apology for any manufacturer with poor support, but in my experience choosing who you do business with is easier than trying to reform a PITA supplier or business associate.

+1 I buy, not exclusively but mostly, from BullGoose. If I have to pay Phil a few extra bucks to deal with unsavory manufacturers or distributors, I'm happy to do it. I have full confidence that if I have a problem with a product he will take care of me.

Thank you for your thoughts, ailevin, and for taking the time to type them all out.

Your thoughts re: supporting a top-notch vendor have a crystalline ring to my ears! This morning, Damon at Old Town Shaving Co. made a lifetime customer out of me thanks to the A+ customer service he afforded me. I plan on discussing this slant issue (Ikon or Merkur) with him further, but was also interested in hearing others' thoughts, too, hence my posts here and in a couple other threads, as well. Like PGH (and you, I assume), I am quite happy to pay a reasonable price premium for top-notch customer service --- in the end, I'm happier, and I like supporting businesses who value their customers enough to give them great service.

btw, I used to live in Redondo --- south --- great neighborhood! I go down there often to visit a couple of my favorite haunts (El BJ and Naja's). If either of those places strike your fancy, perhaps we can meet-up sometime. :)

Sorry for the drift ... now, back to our regularly scheduled program. :biggrin1:

Thank you for your thoughts, ailevin, and for taking the time to type them all out.

Your thoughts re: supporting a top-notch vendor have a crystalline ring to my ears! This morning, Damon at Old Town Shaving Co. made a lifetime customer out of me thanks to the A+ customer service he afforded me. I plan on discussing this slant issue (Ikon or Merkur) with him further, but was also interested in hearing others' thoughts, too, hence my posts here and in a couple other threads, as well. Like PGH (and you, I assume), I am quite happy to pay a reasonable price premium for top-notch customer service --- in the end, I'm happier, and I like supporting businesses who value their customers enough to give them great service.

btw, I used to live in Redondo --- south --- great neighborhood! I go down there often to visit a couple of my favorite haunts (El BJ and Naja's). If either of those places strike your fancy, perhaps we can meet-up sometime. :)

Sorry for the drift ... now, back to our regularly scheduled program. :biggrin1:
Thanks for the kind words. Old Town Shaving is a class act and great fun to visit. If you have never taken the drive out to Chino Hills to see WCS offices, that is an interesting visit as well. It is not as well appointed as Old Town Shaving, but they welcomed me in to roam through their stock and it is like being in the stacks of a great library.

PM me next time you are headed to Redondo.

Alan

I own a feather popular and hate it for it's mildness. I cannot get a close shave even with a feather loaded. I tend to use pressure to actually shave the stubbles but you can probably figure out what this results in... Anyways, I might have to pass on this one and stay with the more aggressive razor I have! Thanks guys!
It is more aggressive than the feather, form what I understand.

I get great shaves from it, BBS, in fact, in spite of the fact that it seems to be a mild shaver. Honestly, I would not characterize it as being mild. Not so much mild as much as it doesn't give a lot of feedback, so it genes the impression of mildness. It is VERY efficient at mowing down whiskers, tho. I would take it over an R41 any day.

I recently switched to straights and sold off all my old razors, which included a #16 and an Aristocrat Jr--the 101 is the only DE I kept.

More aggressive does not necessarily mean a closer shave.

More aggressive than Feather... Waaaaay less aggressive than an R41. I can get a 3 pass BBS with it without touchup but by early afternoon I can feel the stubble coming on.

I find it to be a close, easy, comfortable shaver that I can safely use quickly while still half asleep.

Personally I love the thing... I have used and enjoyed several IKONs including the slant and this might be his best creation in my book.

I got a little gift card today and it is burning a hole in my pocket already. I want to purchase a stainless steel razor and was wondering what everyone's opinions were on the iKon vs the Webers. Any pros or cons to each that might be a game changer?

Thanks

Oh man. This question could potentially start a riot, haha. I will give you my thoughts, based only what hardware works best for me. Keep in mind that I'm not promoting any one company over the other, or taking into account their customer service. This is based ONLY on the quality of the shave:

For an OC or Slant - iKon, for sure. First, Weber doesn't offer either of those, and my iKon Slant and Deluxe OC are my favorite razors. The construction of these razors is flawless, the shaves are great.

For a Standard - Weber. The Weber PH is my favorite SB razor, and I prefer the standard handle over the Bulldog. Super smooth, super efficient, top notch construction. This edges out the iKon SB for me. Just a more comfortable shave.

If you want a modular system, I'd go with iKon as well. The OSS, SB, and OC will all work with their standard top cap, and each of those is a different level of aggressiveness and efficiency. The Slant will have to be purchased as a separate head - top cap and baseplate - but IMHO is a completely worthwhile addition to the iKon lineup. I think its their best razor.

I like both of them. My top razors are all Weber and iKon, and I don't think you can go wrong with either. Just depends on which type of razor you're looking for.

EDIT TO ADD: I actually use my iKon Slant head on a Weber Wave handle. So I guess my favorite razor is actually a combination of both Weber and iKon :biggrin1:

Last edited:
For an OC or Slant - iKon, for sure. First, Weber doesn't offer either of those, and my iKon Slant and Deluxe OC are my favorite razors. The construction of these razors is flawless, the shaves are great.

For a Standard - Weber. The Weber PH is my favorite SB razor, and I prefer the standard handle over the Bulldog. Super smooth, super efficient, top notch construction. This edges out the iKon SB for me. Just a more comfortable shave.

+1: Weber for SB; iKon for OC or Slant. Have you considered Above The Tie stainless steel razors? They have SB and OC types, with 3 base plates in each type. They are a bit more expensive than iKon and a lot more expensive than Weber, though.

Oh man. This question could potentially start a riot, haha. I will give you my thoughts, based only what hardware works best for me. Keep in mind that I'm not promoting any one company over the other, or taking into account their customer service. This is based ONLY on the quality of the shave:

If you want a modular system, I'd go with iKon as well. The OSS, SB, and OC will all work with their standard top cap, and each of those is a different level of aggressiveness and efficiency. The Slant will have to be purchased as a separate head - top cap and baseplate - but IMHO is a completely worthwhile addition to the iKon lineup. I think its their best razor.

I like both of them. My top razors are all Weber and iKon, and I don't think you can go wrong with either. Just depends on which type of razor you're looking for.

EDIT TO ADD: I actually use my iKon Slant head on a Weber Wave handle. So I guess my favorite razor is actually a combination of both Weber and iKon :biggrin1:

This.

Top Bottom