What's new

The lkon thread

My order of the Ikon Deluxe OC plus a "Standard" plate arrived last Saturday and I can say after four shaves ( two with OC plate and two with the Standard ) using the same blade, "Gillette Platinum ", that the OC won hands down. In the future I'll be using the OC alot more than the Standard, but both will still be in my rotation. On another note, anybody got any ideas when the Slant is going to be available again?

I'm really curious to try the SB base plate now. I just got my first shave with a 2013 R41 today and it was excellent, not to aggressive, not too mild either. From what I've read, the two shave similarly. Now I'm itching for it lol Really, I'm anxious to get familiar with the whole set. Who's not when they have new toys?

I just received both a R41 and R89 heads from Connaught Shaving in the UK yesterday and have the R41 on my Thursday shaving schedule. I am really interested to see how this is going to work out after all I've read about it. Will probably match the R41 head with the Maggard MR6 heavy handle and a Gillette Silver Blue blade.

I just received both a R41 and R89 heads from Connaught Shaving in the UK yesterday and have the R41 on my Thursday shaving schedule. I am really interested to see how this is going to work out after all I've read about it. Will probably match the R41 head with the Maggard MR6 heavy handle and a Gillette Silver Blue blade.

Sounds like an excellent combo IMO. The heavy handle makes a huge difference in the shave.

I ordered a Shavecraft 101 from BullGoose. I know it will arrive quickly and if there are any issues Phil will take care of me. I've read much of the stuff here about Ikon and Greg, but it was before my time so I don't have any 1st hand knowledge. I really like how my Ikon OC and Slant shave so I'm always eager to try a new Ikon razor as my limited experience has been very good.

From what I've read, Ikon sounds a bit like a company I used to work for. The owner/CEO was a brilliant engineer and designed some incredible stuff, but he was truly horrible with customers. As the head of sales, I tried to keep him away from customers as much as possible, but he regularly insisted on meeting with them when it came to new designs. I lost track of how many deals he ruined lol. I honestly believe his company could have tripled if he only did engineering....it actually did double in size when he was ill and had to take a year off. He once admitted he shouldn't meet with customers or even run the company, but his ego wouldn't let him stop. He also had a quick temper that cost him a lot of good employees. That was particularly sad since he could be one of the nicest most caring people you'd ever want to meet. Any way I won't be boycotting the Ikon products.

I have the OSS plate with the Bulldog handle and like the shave I get with it. I usually use the OC for the WTG and XTG passes, then use the SB for ATG and buffing. However, I like the way my Feather AS-D2 shaves all around with no irritation on my sensitive skin, but there are times when I feel a need for a little more effectiveness, which leads me to wonder if I would be happy with the SB plate. Does anyone have experience with the OSS and SB plates to provide a comparison of the two, especially the SB aggressiveness of both?

Jim

I will also not beat a dead horse here regarding Greg or the iKon brand, and I also admit that my experience is limited (I only have one of his razors, and I have only e-mailed him once, which he did not respond to).

Anyway, from what I've heard, and read directly from text the iKon site, Greg apparently also likes to disparage other manufacturers and their products.

I especially like this:
"The top cap and base plate fully cover the ends of the razor blade tabs, as any properly made modern safety razor should."

Yes, Greg, having the tabs covered would be great, if the blade alignment were perfect on your razors. Unfortunately, it's not (as with most other razors that I've tried). So, adjusting the blade exposure so that it's even on both sides without the tabs means you have to touch the sharp edges of the blade. On other razors, this can be safely done using the exposed tabs. So, in my opinion, his "feature" is a defect.

That being said, if another iKon razor comes out and gets great reviews from the shaving community, would I potentially buy it? Sure.

I have the OSS plate with the Bulldog handle and like the shave I get with it. I usually use the OC for the WTG and XTG passes, then use the SB for ATG and buffing. However, I like the way my Feather AS-D2 shaves all around with no irritation on my sensitive skin, but there are times when I feel a need for a little more effectiveness, which leads me to wonder if I would be happy with the SB plate. Does anyone have experience with the OSS and SB plates to provide a comparison of the two, especially the SB aggressiveness of both?

Jim

I do not have the OSS plate, however I've been told that it is the most mild of the iKon heads. I would consider the SB to be fairly aggressive. I'd almost be so bold as to categorize it more aggressive than the Deluxe OC plate. The Deluxe OC is comparable to a Long Comb Gillette New, in terms of aggressiveness, and I would say that the SB is more aggressive than the new. There doesn't seem to be a ton of blade exposure, but the gap is pretty substantial. This isn't a direct comparison, and I might make one when I get home tonight, but the SB seems to have a similar gap as a Gillette adjustable on maybe 8. Again, this is going by feel - when I get home I'll compare the two side by side.

I do not have the OSS plate, however I've been told that it is the most mild of the iKon heads. I would consider the SB to be fairly aggressive. I'd almost be so bold as to categorize it more aggressive than the Deluxe OC plate. The Deluxe OC is comparable to a Long Comb Gillette New, in terms of aggressiveness, and I would say that the SB is more aggressive than the new. There doesn't seem to be a ton of blade exposure, but the gap is pretty substantial. This isn't a direct comparison, and I might make one when I get home tonight, but the SB seems to have a similar gap as a Gillette adjustable on maybe 8. Again, this is going by feel - when I get home I'll compare the two side by side.

Thanks Chris. I've also read where the SB plate is fairly aggressive, which I am not interested in at this point. I may use the OC side of the OSS plate for the entire shave to see how it performs, since it seems that I've read where going to the Deluxe OC may be slightly more aggressive that the OC side of the OSS plate. If the OC side of the OSS plate is about the most aggressive I want to go, then I'll refrain from going to either the SB or Deluxe OC plats, even though my RAD keeps my curiosity up about them!

Jim

Thanks Chris. I've also read where the SB plate is fairly aggressive, which I am not interested in at this point. I may use the OC side of the OSS plate for the entire shave to see how it performs, since it seems that I've read where going to the Deluxe OC may be slightly more aggressive that the OC side of the OSS plate. If the OC side of the OSS plate is about the most aggressive I want to go, then I'll refrain from going to either the SB or Deluxe OC plats, even though my RAD keeps my curiosity up about them!

Jim

Like I said, out of the three I think the SB is the most aggressive. The Deluxe OC is the smoothest IMHO - very similar to the Gillette NEW, but a little smoother.

Jim

Well, as others have said, if your RAD is getting the better of you, keep an eye out for them on the BST. You can take the new-to-you plate for a good lung test drive and then if you don't want it, sell it off for the same price. Nothing lost, but experience gained!

I do not have the OSS plate, however I've been told that it is the most mild of the iKon heads. I would consider the SB to be fairly aggressive. I'd almost be so bold as to categorize it more aggressive than the Deluxe OC plate. The Deluxe OC is comparable to a Long Comb Gillette New, in terms of aggressiveness, and I would say that the SB is more aggressive than the new. There doesn't seem to be a ton of blade exposure, but the gap is pretty substantial.

This mirrors my experience, but I do not have the SB plate.

The Deluxe OC is based the Gillette New Deluxe. This is one original Gillette I don't own yet, so I can't directly compare the two. However, based on what I've read + my experience with the iKon, the iKon is a smoother version of the Gillette. The OSS plate is an almost direct copy of the English Gillette Flat Bottom NEW. If you have a 7 O'clock razor, a Twin Pin Flat Bottom, a Round Pin Flat Bottom or any of the other varieties, you've essentially shaved with the OC side of the OSS plate. And the SB side of the OCC is similar to shaving with a pre war Tech, since the Tech and the Flat Bottom NEW share the same baseplate design, with the Tech being sans teeth of course.

I need to spend more time with the OCC plate, but the Deluxe OC is too nice to put on the shelf. It still does not glide as smoothly as my English Goodwill, and I think it's due to the powder coating. If it keeps performing I may send it to Dave to be replated. Black Nickel sound nice. That should glide smoothly over the ole' mug. My goal is to find a SS razor that shaves as smoothly and closely as my English Goodwill. The Goodwill cannot be replaced, so I need something modern that can stand up to daily use, saving the Goodwill for special occasions. This is as close as I've come.

Great input and advice from everyone, as I expected I would get from this forum. Thanks to all as I continue my RAD adventure!

Jim

This mirrors my experience, but I do not have the SB plate.

The Deluxe OC is based the Gillette New Deluxe. This is one original Gillette I don't own yet, so I can't directly compare the two. However, based on what I've read + my experience with the iKon, the iKon is a smoother version of the Gillette. The OSS plate is an almost direct copy of the English Gillette Flat Bottom NEW. If you have a 7 O'clock razor, a Twin Pin Flat Bottom, a Round Pin Flat Bottom or any of the other varieties, you've essentially shaved with the OC side of the OSS plate. And the SB side of the OCC is similar to shaving with a pre war Tech, since the Tech and the Flat Bottom NEW share the same baseplate design, with the Tech being sans teeth of course.

I need to spend more time with the OCC plate, but the Deluxe OC is too nice to put on the shelf. It still does not glide as smoothly as my English Goodwill, and I think it's due to the powder coating. If it keeps performing I may send it to Dave to be replated. Black Nickel sound nice. That should glide smoothly over the ole' mug. My goal is to find a SS razor that shaves as smoothly and closely as my English Goodwill. The Goodwill cannot be replaced, so I need something modern that can stand up to daily use, saving the Goodwill for special occasions. This is as close as I've come.

My Goodwill isn't English, but I've preached in every thread I could that it is hands down my favorite Gillette. Hell, my favorite vintage razor. And pretty darn close with the SS razors I've become so fond of. I'd love to try the English and French versions.

I need to spend more time with the OCC plate, but the Deluxe OC is too nice to put on the shelf. It still does not glide as smoothly as my English Goodwill, and I think it's due to the powder coating. If it keeps performing I may send it to Dave to be replated. Black Nickel sound nice. That should glide smoothly over the ole' mug.

In case you do that, it might be worth to only replate the cap. If the comb tooth are not gliding well, it will help in stretching the skin before the blade comes. Just my idea...

Hi Guys,

The circled areas in these pictures are actually not defects at all. These razor components were black chrome plated by me. The discolouration in the groove is simply surface staining from the chemicals in the plating process and will polish out with a Q Tip or similar.

I have to say, the 'perfect surface' was anything but and required quite a bit of polishing to remove surface defects. I may restore as a hobby and I did indeed start in my garage (what's wrong with that?) but have since spend £ thousands on a purpose-build lab/workshop and equipment. I also try to get back to people as quickly as possible too :)

In answer to the original poster's question, steel components (and brass for that matter) are often coated in copper before adding the nickel layer (followed by black chrome, chrome or whatever) this piece has been buffed through the chrome and nickel layers to expose the underlying copper coating.

Behaviour like that towards bosseb is deplorable and incredibly childish. I don't understand how someone could treat a customer like that, completely unprovoked. First off, bosseb's customization is awesome. Second, even if the manufacturer didn't agree with that, to post a public and carefully thought out attack on a customer just shocks me. What is personally wrong with this individual to make him believe this type of behaviour is justified? Expensive stainless steel DE razors is a very small market, I don't understand how you can expect to survive as a business when you treat customers this way.

I wouldn't sweat it... The guy has a track record at this point of rubbing people the wrong way. Besides, if he wanted to take the razor he bought with his money and powder coat it hot pink, it is none of iKon's business....

Last edited:
The guy should really should get his facts correct before commenting on someone else's work. In fact the manufacturer should possibly learn from the fact that people like different finishes and maybe offer a variety too.

A better post would have been 'Wow, thanks for liking our products so much that you go to the trouble and expense of customizing them'

I've done quite a number of Ikons in black chrome and gold too, without any complaints.

The razor looks beautiful. That is a fact. Another fact is that guys like you know who, don't deserve any credit and we can only feel sorry for them.

It's behaviour like this that will stop me from buying anything from iKon. As kcb5150 said, if I was in Greg's shoes and someone bought one of my razors and powdercoated it pink, all I would care about is the fact that they bought one of my razors.

To be honest, when I look at the photos with the red rings I thought the rings were just there to highlight that it was an iKon head, the finish looks great. Greg, however, is an arse. I've seen him post photos slagging off the finish on an ATT head because there were machining marks on the inside. Firstly, the marks are inside the head and therefore not visible 99% of the time, and secondly I don't mind them being there, it's just a sign that the heads were machined. I certainly don't think that polishing the inside of the head would improve it any. I would certainly rather have those minor machine marks than the several molding spots on the bottom of my iKon OC head.

Top Bottom