What's new

I don’t find the Gillette Tech mild at all!

Yes fellow wetshavers, I know there are far more aggressive and untamed beasts in your arsenals like the R41 and some others. However, whenever a person says that he likes mild razors, the Gillette Tech is one of the first recommendations and to tell you the truth, I don’t find my Gillette Tech all that mild. In my experience, in just one pass WTG gets me a closer shave than my Henson Medium or Leaf Twig in two or three passes. In fact, I’ve never been able to fully clear my chin with those razors, and the Tech does in just one pass. It’s also noticeably more efficient than than my Superspeed, and if I were to compare it to my Merkur Progress, I’d say I’d need setting 3 or above to get similar results

So, what’s your take on the efficiency of the “mild” Gillette Tech?

I think the Tech is mild, it's just that Henson gave a new meaning to the term with their razors!

The Henson medium I tried was far too mild for my shaving routine, but I can get by with a Tech. I think the built-in angle of the Henson design really impacts the efficiency of the razor, because it limits what the user can do in terms of adjusting the angle of attack for a closer result - it either shaves or it don't.

All that said, it might be worth checking you don't have a franken-tech with a mismatched cap. That can increase the aggression quite a bit.

Yes fellow wetshavers, I know there are far more aggressive and untamed beasts in your arsenals like the R41 and some others. However, whenever a person says that he likes mild razors, the Gillette Tech is one of the first recommendations and to tell you the truth, I don’t find my Gillette Tech all that mild. In my experience, in just one pass WTG gets me a closer shave than my Henson Medium or Leaf Twig in two or three passes. In fact, I’ve never been able to fully clear my chin with those razors, and the Tech does in just one pass. It’s also noticeably more efficient than than my Superspeed, and if I were to compare it to my Merkur Progress, I’d say I’d need setting 3 or above to get similar results

I'm not sure if you think the closeness of the Tech is a good thing or not! Lol

Im not sure about the other 2 razors you mentioned, but I find the Tech to be somewhere in the middle of the aggressive scale, and like you, maybe a bit more aggressive than I would have thought. It usually gives me a BBS shave with 2 passes and some touch ups. It rarely irritates or cuts me. Its a really good little razor and I guess that's why they sold millions of them!

Depends on the Gillette Tech. I have a pre-war fat handle that cuts more efficiently than my ball-end one. And I definitely have nicked myself with the pre-war, never so with the ball-end.

I have 9 of them. 10 if you count the Stirling (I don’t). 11 if you count the Ranger Tech (I really really don’t).

They are a favorite. I used one today.

I don’t really rate razors on aggressiveness. I just rate them on smoothness. If I can daily shave with a razor without blood or irritation… it is a good razor. The Techs have been great razors for me.

It depends on when the Tech was made. The pre-war models tend to be a little more aggressive than the later ones up to 1960 or so. My favorites are the pre-war and up until the early 1950s. You just have to watch the angle because there is a fairly narrow effective range if you want a close shave.

Special mention for the early Canadian Techs that say Patent 1932 on them. Those are very good.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Let's see.....I think I have one or two Techs kicking around here somewhere. ;) :p

Leaving the Tech/NEW Hybrid aside for the moment (expense and scarcity).

The Canadian Pre-War Tech is my favorite Tech. Love this razor. Mellow side of medium efficient. Exceptionally smooth. Very nimble & maneuverable. Very predictable. All-in-all, a very effective razor that is a definite daily driver. :001_wub:

For all of the Techs I use I was beginning to gain a consensus that post-war Techs are milder than the pre-war Techs. Then the newest one I’ve got, a ‘73 is even a bit milder than that.

I picked up another post-war, pre date code Tech, last weekend and found it to have more blade exposure. It gave more of a tugging and scraping feeling. I shaved my neck this morning with another post-war and it felt typically mild like I was used to, so it wasn’t the blade.

I’m thinking that the Techs can vary from one to another like any other old razor.

It’s a shame because this latest post-war is very low mileage. But, I’ll keep trying it out.

IMG_5865.jpeg

For all of the Techs I use I was beginning to gain a consensus that post-war Techs are milder than the pre-war Techs. Then the newest one I’ve got, a ‘73 is even a bit milder than that.

I picked up another post-war, pre date code Tech, last weekend and found it to have more blade exposure. It gave more of a tugging and scraping feeling. I shaved my neck this morning with another post-war and it felt typically mild like I was used to, so it wasn’t the blade.

I’m thinking that the Techs can vary from one to another like any other old razor.

It’s a shame because this latest post-war is very low mileage. But, I’ll keep trying it out.

View attachment 1848002
That's a beautiful example of a Tech razor. Looks to be in minty shape. The logo on the head is one of the most well preserved stamps I've seen.

To my knowledge, for whatever reason, that stamp was only put on Techs.

Term. like Mild, Aggressive , Hot, or High are different to each person prospective.

Reason Cars and other things come in many color, personal preference.

The Tech is "mild" in the sense that you can't feel when you are using pressure, of which it's very unforgiving. In such a case, you'll get a very efficient shave, with your face turning bright red a few hours later due to you scraping off several skin layers.

Used correctly, it's both mild and inefficient, but you can shave with it every day like the Workaday Joe you are. :laugh:

You gentlemen inspired me to get my post-war Tech out for tonight's shave. I haven't used it in a long time.

I mated it to a UFO Titan Fine handle, lathered up some Ethos Bergamotto cream, and went to it.

I tried to imagine the following: if this were a new milled razor that I had just purchased for upwards of $200, how would like feel about my investment?

Well, I have to say that on the cheeks, I would have been quite pleased. I probably would have posted on here about how nice the balance was between smooth feeling and a bit of blade feel, how easy lt was to find the proper angle, and how easily it went through 36 hours' growth. I was even thinking, 'why do I buy new razors, when none of them is better than thls one?'

But then I got to the denser, coarser areas on my chin, and I noticed that it had a hard time getting through cleanly here, especially in comparison to my two latest acquisitions, the Paradigm titanium Diamondback and my favorite, the Chiseled Face Legacy, also in titanium.

I think the major difference is that the Legacy has a blade gap of 1.2. The gap on the Tech is comparatively tiny.

I stuck with it for both passes, though, andmit got me to DFS territory. I did get one small ares on irritation on the right mid-neck, which is a place where I haven't usually had trouble with my modern razors.

Overall, i'd say that it is more efficient than it is usually billed, but not as efficient as my current favorite razors. If this Tech were the only razor I owned, I could get good shaves with it for the rest of my life, to be sure. But if you asked me right now to choose between this Tech and my CF Legacy, to me would be
20240518_221523.jpg
a no-brainer.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
It depends on when the Tech was made. The pre-war models tend to be a little more aggressive than the later ones up to 1960 or so. My favorites are the pre-war and up until the early 1950s. You just have to watch the angle because there is a fairly narrow effective range if you want a close shave.

Special mention for the early Canadian Techs that say Patent 1932 on them. Those are very good.
Agree on all counts. Your post prompted me to verify something… my daily driver in the shower is a 1932 Canadian Tech, the perfect razor for this purpose.

IMG_1311.jpeg

I don’t necessary find Techs to be super mild depending on which one I use. It has some blade gap and usually also positive blade exposure. My Canadian is the most effective one and according to my stats also outperforming my higher end razors at the moment. The postwar 1959s English model is the most aggressive one for me off the ones I have.

All are great shaves. Rio knows where I would be in my journey if I had discovered the Tech much more early on than I did now.

Enjoy!

Guido

I used the Tech I mentioned in post #13 above again this morning.

I paid attention to center the blade on the bottom plate, and used the shave oil and shave butter that give me the best results and it worked for a DFS+.

Top Bottom