What's new

Buying used creams/soaps - safe?

As the title suggested is it safe to buy this stuff that's already used...hygienically speaking? Thoughts?

I prefer to give some extra money to get them new. Since now, I 've never purchased used products for hygiene reasons.

Also, I believe, that is more "dangerous" to buy used shaving brushes and razors, than creams/soaps...

I would be hesitant but most of that is in my own mind. If you think about it, a soap is a lousy medium for bacteria to grow upon. Creams might be another story. Also, it would seem like tallow-based products would be a germ friendlier place than the glycerin ones.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I have absolutely no problems buying used soaps from the BST. A picture in the listing will show you what kind of shape the puck is in (i.e. clean or embedded with gunky goo hairs). I'm not much of a cream guy.

I don't own a single piece of new, unused hardware; it's all vintage. I also would not hesitate buying used software. To date, it have only been used AS and cologne but I would love to find a vintage soap, for the nostalgia, or an expensive used soap, to save some money. Guess that means I'm not a germaphobe.

I understand where you are coming from, but it is not like you are eating the stuff. I would think you would have more problems at a grocery store with carts, foods, etc. that have handled by other people. Don't know this for sure, but I would think germs only live a certain life cycle, especially in a chemical environment like soaps/creams. I really doubt there is much danger. Has anyone on here every complained with a possible issue?

I am sometimes surprised how close to the price of new some people pay for used products. If I am spending that much, I would go for new. Maybe shipping costs make it more of a good deal for them.

I buy used hardware...no problem. I would buy used AS, colognes...no prpblem. soaps, croaps, creams?...problem. But that's just me

I have never bought any used creams or soaps yet. I would be more inclined to buy a cream than a soap. Think about it how many people use a brush to dip in a container of soft cream? Most spoon it out with something, soaps on the other hand take a brush bath.

I bought some strop shoppe on here from a member that used it once and have had no worries. I would trust buying something from a trusted member on here than say ebay or another site. If you buy some Musco Real, Proraso, or another brand from a tube I see no worries. Its being pushed out of the tube. I dont see much of anything going back in.

I have never bought any used creams or soaps yet. I would be more inclined to buy a cream than a soap. Think about it how many people use a brush to dip in a container of soft cream? Most spoon it out with something, soaps on the other hand take a brush bath.

I dip my brush into a tub of cream but with a tube I either squirt it onto the brush or into the bowl, depending on my mood at the time.

I wouldn't, but there are plenty that will. Razors you can clean, brushes, you can clean, soap, not so much.

Used Soap = Yuck

Have you seen some of the pics on the BST recently? Still wet with dry lather on them, hair, brush fibres, dents. :ohmy: Then you hear and know guys are pressing them down with their hands, fingers, nails etc and have no idea where those things have been or the last time they were washed before they manipulated the soap. For creams guys are talking about using their dirty index finger to scoop them out, no thanks. If you are going to buy a used soap or cream, I'd recommend giving it a good rinse and scraping the top layer off.

I won't buy or trade for a used soap or cream any longer (Tube cream should be fine). It's just not worth the savings. Used brushes are razors are fine in my books, but even brushes I prefer to buy new these days after reading about people's crazy cleaning methods (boiling, soaking overnight, chemicals, heat etc).

Last edited:
Not for me, no thanks. The savings are simply not worthwhile. Hardware is different, it's easily sterilized, and I haven't yet found a source of new Fatboys.

What about all of the "passaround" boxes going around? The purpose of all of that stuff is to use it, and then send it on to the next guy. Some of this stuff has been used by 30 guys or more and I have never heard of a problem.
cottontop

What about all of the "passaround" boxes going around? The purpose of all of that stuff is to use it, and then send it on to the next guy. Some of this stuff has been used by 30 guys or more and I have never heard of a problem.
cottontop

The Passaround boxes are even more gross in my eyes, especially a shave stick that 20 guys have rubbed on their face (but at least a stick you can lop off the end). I had a box hit my place early on and was disgusted at how people passed stuff along. It had lather build up, mystery hairs, fibres, lint, crusty, discoloured etc. Other then a couple tubed creams, sample packed and bottled items, it was all left in the box.

Unless it's a person I can 100% fully trust, I wouldn't not consider a used soap or cream any longer. If I ever give out a sample it's cut from a clean, unused item and placed directly in a baggie without even touching it. If I happen to sell or trade a used soap, it's rinsed, dried, top layer scraped and I still advise the recipient to do the same.

These pics are from the BST but I've seen ones with Hair still on them. :scared:

Ew, Ew, Ew, Ew and Ew. :blink:

View attachment 430661View attachment 430663View attachment 430666 $4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
cottontop

Again, everyone has their perceived germ comfort level. My threshold is quite low.

Top Bottom