What's new

Zookeepers of the Muhle R41 BEAST

After reading this thread. I really want to try a r41. But I just wish there was somewhere to rent one to try out. Ob well maybe one day...

The beast is unleashed!

Congrats, it only gets better and better! :thumbup1:

I'm in. Although my beast may not be as ferocious as a lot of yours... it's a 2013. :(

All Beasts are welcome in the Zoo! :biggrin1:

I've been using both the 2011 and 2013 for some time, and my vote goes with the 2013 for best shave. I'm much faster, and I do believe the shave quality is better as well. It's still fun to pull out the 2011 from time to time, but I do prefer the more refined version of this razor.

Many share that opinion too, not everyone prefers the 2011, for what I read.

After reading this thread. I really want to try a r41. But I just wish there was somewhere to rent one to try out. Ob well maybe one day...

You can buy just the head, I believe you can buy it from Shaving.ie and it will cost you just a little over $20.

i wish the best to all here atB&B
i use muhle r41 2011
i think that Codfish/Jim S. is correct that shallow angle is the right choice as it puts blade at 30 degrees while handle is at 45 degrees angle
this is what gillette says in its old booklet instructions which is also the perfect angle for a straight razor
when i was using a steep angle i had more irritation and the razor wasn't smooth
after that a very light pressure muhle provides exceptional shaves
warmest regards

+1 You couldn't be more right, James. I've seen your reminders for years, and it seems that they're always appropriate because there is always confusion.

And nicely done, Nuclear. This is one of the very best illustrations of blade angle I've ever seen. Congrats!

You can buy just the head, I believe you can buy it from Shaving.ie and it will cost you just a little over $20.

Nuclearblast. Thanks fe the link. Someone else sent me to that sight last night. Hope to order this week!

I got mine for about $24 shipped from Connaught Shaving in Suffolk, England, but I think the shipping has gone up since then, so its now basically the same price. But Shaving.ie in Dublin is an excellent source, and have the best price on the Muhle RHMSR DE Razor Stand, too.

Petrakounas,

I think it is wrong to declare a single angle as best for everyone.
Further, the data overwhelmingly contradicts your position that shallow angle is the correct angle..

1. In a 2012 poll B&B members preferred steep angle to shallow angle, 2:1.
2. In this thread, the number of people that have tried and have had great success with a steep angle is growing rapidly.

Whether you or Codfish prefer 30 degrees is your individual decisions. Let's not flush the time honored tradition of respecting YMMV. Let's share what works for us, but not declare that as the only way.

Besides, if you do some math. Holding your handle at 45 degress like you say does not deliver a 30 degree angle.

Aimsport

i wish the best to all here atB&B
i use muhle r41 2011
i think that Codfish/Jim S. is correct that shallow angle is the right choice as it puts blade at 30 degrees while handle is at 45 degrees angle
this is what gillette says in its old booklet instructions which is also the perfect angle for a straight razor
when i was using a steep angle i had more irritation and the razor wasn't smooth
after that a very light pressure muhle provides exceptional shaves
warmest regards

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but since you guys are the R41 lovers, I'm guessing you guys would know best. I've been looking around and noticed some people mentioning the 2011 and 2013 head for the R41, is there a difference?

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but since you guys are the R41 lovers, I'm guessing you guys would know best. I've been looking around and noticed some people mentioning the 2011 and 2013 head for the R41, is there a difference?

"A picture says a thousand words..."

View attachment 438854

$2011 Muhle R41 vrs 2013 Muhle R41 2.jpg

$2011 Muhle R41 vrs 2013 Muhle R41 3.jpg

$2011 Muhle R41 vrs 2013 Muhle R41 9.jpg

$2011 Muhle R41 vrs 2013 Muhle R41 .10.jpg

From what I can see, I'm going to say the 2013 head is much less aggressive?

I wouldn't say "much" less, though others might. I would reserve that description for, say, the R89 closed comb version. But then I've only seen the 2011 in photos. The 2013 is a very effective razor on the "very aggressive" side, FWIW. I've tried to get my hands on a 2011 with no success whatsoever as they've been out of production for so long. They're practically a collector's item these days.

P.S. - You should read back in the thread for many more descriptions of the differences and preferences of each. There's a great deal that's been posted about it right here in this thread.

Last edited:
1. In a 2012 poll B&B members preferred steep angle to shallow angle, 2:1.
2. In this thread, the number of people that have tried and have had great success with a steep angle is growing rapidly.

Hi Aimsport
Another hi angler here, and as I know you've read, I've successfully used this approach with the ATT OC set too... Just adding my vote and support for the ever popular YMMV POV....

Well, as far as I can tell the R41 looks promising. Right now I'm torn between the R41 and 37C Slant. Appearance wise I like the slant more, it looks more rugged and sturdier. My problem with the slant is that it doesn't disassemble like the more common 3 piece razors so I can't use it with any other handles. Has anyone here used the slant? How does it compare?

Well, as far as I can tell the R41 looks promising. Right now I'm torn between the R41 and 37C Slant. Appearance wise I like the slant more, it looks more rugged and sturdier. My problem with the slant is that it doesn't disassemble like the more common 3 piece razors so I can't use it with any other handles. Has anyone here used the slant? How does it compare?

I have them both, the 37c is pretty nice but for me it doesn't give as close a shave as the R41.

2013 R41 is the one I use almost every day. Started rough for me, but now with a light touch I've learned to use it everyday.

guys- Im searching for my first open comb. Using a merker slant right now. I don't love it. Is R41 good for a first open comb?

TIA

cucuzza

guys- Im searching for my first open comb. Using a merker slant right now. I don't love it. Is R41 good for a first open comb?

TIA

cucuzza
R41 was my first open comb, and I love it. Still I can not say if it will be good for you... Nobody can... Anyway it will not be a big deal to sell it if you dont like it.

cucuzza
Without knowing you it is hard to say about the R41. Another option would be something like the RazoRock Jaws. It is not as demanding as an R41, yet it can deliver a BBS with good technique. I cut my OC teeth on a Gillette Long Comb, but the Jaws was more demanding and helped hone my technique before I tackled even more aggressive razors. The Jaws can be had for less than $20, and if you don't like it can easily be sold.

Enjoy your shaves!!!

Top Bottom