What's new

Review Iroshizuku Syo-ro

I don't do reviews often as I feel like others do a better job than I but I was surprised when I couldn't find a review for
Syo-Ro, so here is a go at it. I am normally a dreary person when it comes to inks. I primarily like greys, dusty blues and the occasional black. However, I got on a teal kick a while back and discovered Syo-ro. This ink is entertaining as It looks very blue in the bottle and dries to a greenish tint. It is best with a wet feed as you start to get dark edging lines that take on a slight sheen. I am always amazed at how much an ink differs via different platforms. Both pens in this review are about a 1.1 mm nib but the Jin Hao has a wet feed and the ink looks far more stunning with this pen. Finally the name also drew me to this ink. I had to look up how to write it as you cannot make the name in kana, at least the way most non-Japanese learn the language; which led me to find an interesting article on a few additional kana scripts that are not commonly taught but I think most Japanese take for granted (IMHO, based on my experience but I could be wrong)...anyway I digress.

Sorry for the messy handwriting, I always think I am doing good until I see the scanned image, enjoy.
[/URL]
[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Interesting to see how different it looks with different pens.

I have a sample of this waiting in the queue. Can't wait to try it.

If you like this one, try shin-ryoku as well, for a greener dry-down.

Given the low saturation of a lot of this ink line ive notived they shade a far amount and as seen above depending on how wet or dry a nib writes will give significant colour variations between pens, sometimes thats a good thing lol

Nice review thanks for sharing

Nice review! I just picked up a bottle of this myself. James is right--there is a lot of color variation in Iroshizuku, especially this one. I have been getting a huge amount of different shades, based on the pen I'm using. And I like all of them.

I love these Iroshizuku inks! Vibrant inks have their place, but these low saturation beautiful shaders are my favorites! Thanks for the review.

Thanks for the good review! I haven't tried any of the Iroshizuku inks yet as I have just started learning the world of fountain pens. I have the Iroshizuku asa-gao on order and am anxious to try it out. I'm still stuck in my blue world...

Top Bottom