What's new

Hey Smokers!

Whether you smoke a pipe, a cigar, or a cigarette, is there anything you do other than normal brushing and flossing to keep your teeth and gums clean and to keep your breath fresh?

If you really need to get rid of the ol' cigar breath, there's a step beyond the normal brushing and mouthwash routine that I've found works wonders in the significant other department:

Rinse with shampoo. Really.

Mix it about 1:5 with water. It's the sodium sulfate in it that does the trick. DON'T swallow (it's also a potent laxative, but that's beyond the scope of this topic :tongue_sm). No gargling needed, just rinse with the shampoo mix, brush again, and then rinse with regular mouthwash. If you're getting complaints about the cigar odor (I prefer to call it "aroma"), you'll find this should do the trick! :thumbup1:

If you really need to get rid of the ol' cigar breath, there's a step beyond the normal brushing and mouthwash routine that I've found works wonders in the significant other department:

Mix it about 1:5 with water. It's the sodium sulfate in it that does the trick. DON'T swallow (it's also a potent laxative, but that's beyond the scope of this topic :tongue_sm). No gargling needed, just rinse with the shampoo mix, brush again, and then rinse with regular mouthwash. If you're getting complaints about the cigar odor (I prefer to call it "aroma"), you'll find this should do the trick! :thumbup1:

I'm gonna try this. :w00t:

Also drinking more water.

For me tea works wonders to neutralize any cigar taste. As for toothpastes- use several so not really sure if one works better than the other.

One of my friends swears by tea tree oil- but not really sure how he uses it.

Man, if sodium sulfate really is an odor-eater when it comes to breath, can't they put it in something a little more palatable than a bottle of Suave?? :eek:

I gargle before brushing with
some Hydrogen Peroxide in water.
30 seconds of swishing seems to keep the stains away.
Listerine 3-4 times a day also helps keep the badness at bay.

One of my friends swears by tea tree oil- but not really sure how he uses it.

Ah yes, I forgot about that one! If the shampoo rinse ain't cutting it (say, for instance, you just enjoyed a group 6 stuffed full of 50/50 latakia and perique and your mouth tastes like Satan's own ashtray) you can pull out the big guns: a few drops of tea tree oil added to Listerine or any alcohol-based mouthwash. Again, ixnay on the swallowing! You can add shampoo to this mixture as well if you're feeling particularly filthy. :001_smile

In addition to brushing, I use one of those whitening mouth washes.

As others have mentioned, a cup of hot tea really helps after a pipe or cigar.

You may be able to keep your teeth a bit whiter, but forget about not smelling to non-smokers.

The stuff saturates your hair, clothes and skin; no amount of mouthwash will make you not stink. Sorry, smokers, but you all stink; cough drops and cologne just make you smell like smoke, coughdrops and cologne. I used to smoke, so I may be a bit more sensitive than some...

You may be able to keep your teeth a bit whiter, but forget about not smelling to non-smokers.

The stuff saturates your hair, clothes and skin; no amount of mouthwash will make you not stink. Sorry, smokers, but you all stink; cough drops and cologne just make you smell like smoke, coughdrops and cologne. I used to smoke, so I may be a bit more sensitive than some...

Thankfully those of us who occasionally smoke pipes, cigars and hookahs don't have that issue. :smile:

Unfortunately, I agree that you can't really get around the fact that smokers smell. No amount of gum or gargling with shampoo will fix it.

I used to smoke, too, and I do still once a month or so puff (but not inhale) cigars and pipes. So I am not some militant anti-tobacco nut.

You really notice when you have quit, what one pipe or cigar does do your breath for the next 12-24 hours. It's just pretty rank.

What you really notice after you quit is even being in a car with a smoker. Even if the person hasn't smoked a cigarette, there is just this foul smoker's breath stench. I never say anything, because usually it's a friend, and I feel bad for the person. Plus, until ten years ago, I was in the same boat.

I agree that time works best, and yes when we smoke we stink. But gents, please do not forget to brush your tongue afterwards.

Plastic tongue scraper has helped me more than anything. I smoke a pipe once or twice a month and afterwards a combo or brushing, gargling, scraping, gargling followed up by a cup of tea or coffee seems to mostly neutralize the smell. However, some of the stronger tasting tobaccoes seem to still stick around.

Top Bottom