What's new

Item of the Week 9/23 - Mitchell's Wool Fat

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Hello to all.

This will be the thirty first in a series of "item of the week" threads that I am promoting in the general shave discussion forum.
The rules:

1. It is very simple. Use the item of the week for the week that it is scheduled and post your thoughts on that item in its thread.
  2. Everything else in your shave line-up may be rotated at will, but keep the featured item of the week as part of each shave.
  3. The weeks will start on Monday and end on Saturday. Sunday could be a free day, or an overlap day for the next week or whatever.

The thirty first featured item of the week will be Mitchell's Wool Fat

My favorite. I just acquired an MWF ceramic bowl from a Blade Brother. My first shave was with a brand new Whipped Dog synthetic, x-long Firehouse handle (left). The shave was terrific.

Lanny the Sheep uses da Fat, too.

AAArgh!!! So many great soaps and creams come up here, but I have been committing to the 3017 thread! Well, enjoy your Fat, Gents!

Gave up on silvertip week. Im 3017'ing as well, but tomorrow I finish my ABCBA sample so I will jump on my inaugural MWF sample on Tuesday.

Should I lather it like Williams?

Oh I'm in for MWF Item of the Week! I truly dig the stuff and I have a spare puck in hot standby.

cpacamper, I recommend Mantic's video on YouTube where he describes how he uses the Fat with his hard water. I don't suffer from hard water so I am one of the lucky ones. I start with a drier brush that normal. I soak my brush and the fat. Weird I know but it works. I squeeze almost all of the water out of my brush. I load the brush for at least 60 seconds or about 120 swirls. I then bowl lather in my scuttle. I add a few drops of water as needed. When the lather doesn't increase in volume and makes small peaks on the side of my bowl, I add about 4 or 5 drops of water. I do this about three times. I do this until I get a rich creamy lather that is shiney. That way I know the bubbles are very small and the lather is well hydrated.

The fat is a thirsty soap and takes a bit longer to whip up a first class lather. Once mastered, the rewards are great. Don't get frustrated if you can't master it. The fat is a fickle soap and needs to be tamed.

Good luck and enjoy!

+1 What the Riff Raff man says. :thumbup1:

Oh I'm in for MWF Item of the Week! I truly dig the stuff and I have a spare puck in hot standby.

cpacamper, I recommend Mantic's video on YouTube where he describes how he uses the Fat with his hard water. I don't suffer from hard water so I am one of the lucky ones. I start with a drier brush that normal. I soak my brush and the fat. Weird I know but it works. I squeeze almost all of the water out of my brush. I load the brush for at least 60 seconds or about 120 swirls. I then bowl lather in my scuttle. I add a few drops of water as needed. When the lather doesn't increase in volume and makes small peaks on the side of my bowl, I add about 4 or 5 drops of water. I do this about three times. I do this until I get a rich creamy lather that is shiney. That way I know the bubbles are very small and the lather is well hydrated.

The fat is a thirsty soap and takes a bit longer to whip up a first class lather. Once mastered, the rewards are great. Don't get frustrated if you can't master it. The fat is a fickle soap and needs to be tamed.

Good luck and enjoy!

I'm near the end of a sample, so I'll be in for as long as the sample lasts. It might be all week, it might now. I recently bought a full puck in the ceramic dish, but I just can't open it until I use some of my open soaps up. Hopefully, I'll be with you guys all week on this!

Good luck Rick. :wink2:

I'm near the end of a sample, so I'll be in for as long as the sample lasts. It might be all week, it might now. I recently bought a full puck in the ceramic dish, but I just can't open it until I use some of my open soaps up. Hopefully, I'll be with you guys all week on this!

++1 on pre-soaking the brush and soap. It really does work, and is well worth it. I've been using MWF and TOBS sandalwood recently, so I'll just give up the TOBS for a week.

Woot! This is the first Item of the Week thread I have participated in!

MWF is the first soap I ever brought, and one of my favourites! I love this stuff!

I was using this morning MWF by chance. This was the first time I whipped it with my new EJ STF and the lather was the first time (out of maybe 30 attempts) really fantastic. I always thought MWF is over rated. Now I have to change my mind.

I´m not in, because I have to see, how this surprising good brush works on my other soaps.

Well, day one was awesome. Great lather contributed to a BBS shave as the Fat always does. I used my D3 Exec with a Lab Blue (3). Finished off with my alum block and then Osage Rub. After 20 minutes or so I followed that up with Floid. Yeah, a great start to the week!

the only MWF I have is a shave stick MWF/Arko combo that I made when I gave up on MWF. The combo works really well, but that doesnt really count towards IOTW so I will be sitting this one out.

Been using MWF since last week's rotation, so I'll keep with it for another week!

I use MORE water with the Fat that any other shaving soap I have. I load up the brush sideways over a bowl to catch the soap flying off the top! Then whip it up in the bowl. Loading takes about 40 seconds. The whipping takes a four to five minutes, but it's enjoyable and rewarding.

I also lathered up a batch for SWMBO this past weekend so I loaded up for almost 2 minutes, and whipped for another eight. I had enough lather to shave an entire sheep so it was more than enough for a couple of legs. Lots of fun and the puck still looks like new.

I went with face lathering this morning, and got mixed results. That's going to take a bit more practice.

Surprise, Surprise! My MWF puck came in this morning! I'll use it in tomorrow's Tech Tuesday shave and let everyone know how it goes.

Just saw this while breaking for lunch, but I did use MWF this morning! I use it at least once a week; would use it more, but I have so much stuff that I try to rotate through everything. It wasn't love at first use, but it's a favorite now. Like others, I found I had to let it soak while showering. It also seems to lather better/easier with my badger brush than with my boar.

Just saw the new IOTW! This will be an easy one for me. I'm in. I usually rotate daily but I will go all MWF this week. I will start a new blade in a Tech for Tech Tuesday and whip up The Fat!

Top Bottom