What's new

Blind Test #14 - Rapira Super Stainless vs Personna Lab

I've been in a bit of a straight razor phase for a while, but I reckon a new blade test is well overdue.

Again the test comes thanks to kind donations, and I'm pitting a Rapira Super Stainless against a Personna Lab - the Lab is indistinguishable to me from a Med Prep, so it provides a known basis for comparison.

As usual, I won't know which blade is in which razor until the conclusion of the test, as I have asked someone to load my two Edwin Jagger razors without telling me...

attachment.php

This test will be interrupted from time to time as I'm also honing some straight razors and will take occasional shaves out to test them, but I'll try to keep that down to one a week at most and let the test occupy most of my shaving time.

I'll do the first shave shortly and will report here before too long.

(Full details of the thinking behind these tests can be found in the thread here.)

OK first shave, and a confession - I had a newly-honed straight that I really wanted to test so I used a couple of square inches WTG on each cheek for that, but I then devoted the rest of my face to the test shave...

Shave #1

Rapira Super Stainless vs Personna Lab, in two EJ razors - one Black, one White

Test set up as described in the thread here.

Black = Left side of face
White = Right side of face

Brush = Rooney 3/1 silvertip
Soap = Martin de Candre original
AS = Pashana

Pass 1, WTG: Pass 2, XTG: Pass 3, ATG: As usual when I start a test of two high-quality blades, I detected no real difference in the first test. Both blades were sharp and smooth for all three passes (though interestingly, not as smooth as the straight). No nicks, weepers, or anything.

Closeness: Tiny bit of stubble detectable under the centre of my chin, but otherwise pretty much a BBS.

Comfort: Comfortable, no burn, no irritation.

AS: Nice glow from the Pashana, no sting.

Onwards...

Shave #2

Black = Right side of face
White = Left side of face

Brush = New Forest 24mm 2-band
Soap = Proraso Sandalwood
AS = TOBS Mr Taylor

Pass 1, WTG: Pass 2, XTG: Pass 3, ATG: Still very early in the test and hard to detect much in the way of difference yet. Both blades seemed equally sharp today, but I did get a feeling that the White blade was a bit smoother on all three passes.

Closeness: Very close all round.

Comfort: No discomfort at all.

AS: Fairly mild sting from the TOBS on both sides, with a nice toned feel.

I'm not going to be one of those guys that starts guessing at shave #25 when it is pretty obvious that one is better than the other. I'm in now. White blade being a bit smoother means that the white blade is made in the USA (Personna).

Brave man :thumbup1:

Shave #3

Brush = Simpson Duke 2 best
Soap = Proraso Green original
AS = Pinaud Lilac Vegetal

Pass 1, WTG: Pass 2, XTG: Both blades shaving very well, but my suspicion that White is a bit smoother is with me again this time - and I'm also getting the feeling that Black is perhaps a bit sharper.

Pass 3, ATG: Same again, with White feeling smoother and Black a bit sharper. I got a very tiny weeper on my upper lip from White, but it stopped quickly of its own accord. I also took the top off a zit with White, but that was expected - the only surprise is that it survived the first two passes.

Closeness: Very close again, from both.

Comfort: And very comfortable again.

AS: I felt a bit of strange discomfort from The Veg, which is unusual - it's usually very gentle. It was like a kind of roughness all over, similar to razor burn, and it took a few minutes to subside - afterwards my face felt fine. It was exactly the same both sides, so I can't blame a blade - but when I applied it I did still have some of the Proraso menthol cool feeling, so I wonder if there was some reaction?

As an aside, the Duke 2 is a brush that seems to keep getting better - it whips up lather with considerably better flow now than it did when it was new.

An interesting turn! Has WiskyT spoken too soon? Could the Rapira be sharper than a Lab? There's only one way to find out... Tune in next week! Same bat-time, same bat-channel!

I hadn't noticed you using the Veg in your other tests Oscroft, is it available on the high street? I don't want to buy any, but I do want to "see" what everyone is talking about.

An interesting turn! Has WiskyT spoken too soon? Could the Rapira be sharper than a Lab? There's only one way to find out... Tune in next week! Same bat-time, same bat-channel!

I hadn't noticed you using the Veg in your other tests Oscroft, is it available on the high street? I don't want to buy any, but I do want to "see" what everyone is talking about.

I've never seen it in any shops here - I got mine from an Amazon seller. If you want to try it, send me a PM with your address and I'll be happy to send you a sample.

Shave #4

Black = Right side of face
White = Left side of face

Brush = Semogue Italian Barber
Soap = Monsavon
AS = Floïd Blue

Pass 1, WTG: Pass 2, XTG: Pass 3, ATG: Last shave was given over to a straight, but back to the test... Did I say that the White felt smoother than the Black last time? That I thought the Black might be a little bit sharper? Well, I couldn't really tell any difference this time and both blades shaved just fine - I wonder if maybe the two blades are mellowing a bit?

Closeness: Very close again

Comfort: Very comfortable with no irritation.

AS: Nice coolness, no hint of burn.

Shave #5

Brush = Semogue SOC LE mixed
Soap = MWF
AS = Jovan Musk

Pass 1, WTG: Pass 2, XTG: Pass 3, ATG: I'm describing all three passes at the same time again, because I really couldn't tell any differences. This time, both blades felt a little bit rough and not as sharp as they had been previously - and definitely a bit tuggy shaving ATG. But I don't think it was the blades, I think it was my prep. We had very little hot water so I shaved in water that was little more than lukewarm, and I think I needed my usual hot water. No nicks or weepers, but all in all not a great shave.

Closeness: Bit of stubble left under the chin on both sides.

Comfort: I felt a bit of irritation after this shave, and interestingly it was noticeably worse on the left (Black) side.

AS: Bit of sting from the AS - bit sharper on the Black side.

I wish you'd grow whiskers quicker.
I find your tests intriguing and I can't wait for the results.

Hehe :001_smile

Something else slowing me down this time is my straight razor honing. I'm taking time out every couple of shaves for a straight one - but I'll try to resist as much as I can!

Google suggests we should PIF various vitamin supplements and force Oscroft to sleep as much as possible to grow hair faster :001_smile. That doesn't sound very convincing to me though. I have some Miracle Grow...

Thank you for your dedication to this research, Oscroft; it's very enlightening.

May I suggest pitting the Bolzano against a competitor for your next run?

Top Bottom