What's new

Iridium -Super (PPI) Old vs. NEW

What's a cool whip.
It's a sweetened whipped cream that us wacky Americans like to put on top of other already sweet things like ice cream or brownies. It resembles shave cream :)

Attachments

• 1708458152724.png
    1708458152724.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 5

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Now that I am back from my road trip, I pulled out 6 nearly full sleeves of Wizamet Russian blades. all of them were from before 5/2020 except one! That one was from 9/2020! And there was one tuck missing from that sleeve! So was this the cause of me finding a few shaves sub par with high gap razors? Or was that also a factor not related to this? I am going to find out. I shall shave with these blades next! Probably tomorrow or Friday the latest.

2024-02-21 12.02.43.jpg

Pardon me but, I’m a little confused. Somewhere in this thread I believe it was stated that all current blades are labeled 2017. Is this true? The ones I have are 2017, two glue dots. I’m guessing these are considered by many to be the least desirable? I know ymmv but, it gets a little confusing with all the different dates. Cheers.

Pardon me but, I’m a little confused. Somewhere in this thread I believe it was stated that all current blades are labeled 2017. Is this true? The ones I have are 2017, two glue dots. I’m guessing these are considered by many to be the least desirable? I know ymmv but, it gets a little confusing with all the different dates. Cheers.
Post #38

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I shaved with the blades mentioned below. The ones from 9/2020. They did indeed have the 4 glue dots. I used a Charcoal Goods Gen 1 Level 2, which is on the border line of what is normally a good pairing with these Wizamet blades. Although they may have been a slight bit less sharp than the earlier date codes, if I had not been paying so close attention, I would not have noticed any difference. The shave was typical of what I get from a Wizzie and this CG. I think I would need a true side by side shave to notice any real deviations between the blades from before or after. And I’m not really inclined to do that. Even so, I have nearly a full sleeve of those 9/2020 blades. They will now certainly go to the bottom of the pile. Given the number of Wizamet and Polsilver blades in my stash, these may not again see the light of day for literally decades.

Now that I am back from my road trip, I pulled out 6 nearly full sleeves of Wizamet Russian blades. all of them were from before 5/2020 except one! That one was from 9/2020! And there was one tuck missing from that sleeve! So was this the cause of me finding a few shaves sub par with high gap razors? Or was that also a factor not related to this? I am going to find out. I shall shave with these blades next! Probably tomorrow or Friday the latest.

View attachment 1799889

I shaved with the blades mentioned below. The ones from 9/2020. They did indeed have the 4 glue dots. I used a Charcoal Goods Gen 1 Level 2, which is on the border line of what is normally a good pairing with these Wizamet blades. Although they may have been a slight bit less sharp than the earlier date codes, if I had not been paying so close attention, I would not have noticed any difference. The shave was typical of what I get from a Wizzie and this CG. I think I would need a true side by side shave to notice any real deviations between the blades from before or after. And I’m not really inclined to do that. Even so, I have nearly a full sleeve of those 9/2020 blades. They will now certainly go to the bottom of the pile. Given the number of Wizamet and Polsilver blades in my stash, these may not again see the light of day for literally decades.

Thanks for sharing your comparisons!

For me, the post 06/2020 Wizamet were nearly unusable. Not at all sharp. Left a lot of stubble and dark shadow even after 4 passes.

I've noticed the same change with nacet, gsb etc which have all been massively degraded!
These two blades were good for me, not polsilver/Wizamet level but just one notch down.
Now they feel fairly rubbish to me.
Lots of dark shadow and the BBS hardly lasts until lunchtime!

For me, the post 06/2020 Wizamet were nearly unusable. Not at all sharp. Left a lot of stubble and dark shadow even after 4 passes.

I've noticed the same change with nacet, gsb etc which have all been massively degraded!
These two blades were good for me, not polsilver/Wizamet level but just one notch down.
I am thinking that feather blades are the safest bet. Have you find any other blade that satisfies as much as Wizamet?

Same for me with the wizamet 2023 and a yates 921 h. There was so much tugging that I just gave up on these blades.

I swear, you people. There I was, all fired up to shave with my Lupo 1.27 razor tonight but nooo...

I've decided to hold off until tomorrow evening and do some blade testing on a good two days growth. My blades are from 2019, 20, 21, 22 and 23 but initially I've chosen 12/19 vs 09/20.
Since I don't share some of youse advanced talents for picking up on blade nuances, I've decided this will be a blind test.

Two identical razors (Lupo 72) with identical Windrose Ti handles.
View attachment 1799061

Don't let the darker handle fool you, that's just the light in the photo. I scrubbed both before marking and loading the blades. They are truly identical twins. Then the wife played shell-game-shuffle with them and marked one with orange tape on the bottom so I can differentiate while shaving.
View attachment 1799063

The contestants:
View attachment 1799064

No guarantee that I can tell a difference in sharpness but I'm fairly sensitive to irritation so my trusty alum stick will be at the ready.
My gratitude goes out to all of you for complicating my life and disturbing my inner tranquility. :devil:

Seriously though, great thread and it'll be fun. :a14:
Looking forward to the result!

Looking forward to the result!
I shaved left side with one razor, right side with the other. Identical Lupo 72 razors and right side razor was marked with an orange dot of tape. One blade was 2019 and (slight change) the other was dated 2023.
I was unaware which blade was in either.

Over two days growth, no tugging on either side. Sometimes the left side seemed a bit smoother; whether due to the blade or backhand shaving with my right hand... I can't be certain. They were that close to me. After the shave and opening razors, the 2019 was in the left side razor. I had very minimal but uniform alum feedback on my lower neck post-shave. No greater irritation on the right side. Basically, a great 2 razor shave.

Although they may have been a slight bit less sharp than the earlier date codes, if I had not been paying so close attention, I would not have noticed any difference.

I concur and doubt most members with average beards could detect the difference. Those with tough, super thick beards? 🤷
Today I shaved with the original test blade (before I changed it) Wizamet SI dated 09/20. Used in a SS Karve with E-plate, 1.10mm gap, 1.7mm exposure. Smooth like buttah.

Last edited:
Edit: I didn't mean to take this thread off topic.... It's just that I agree with a few others on this thread.... I'm not sure I think my Wizamets are that special... if they were, wouldn't I would naturally gravitate toward them? That hasn't happened... Am I making a mistake?

My impression is the same as yours. I have been doing different random shaves these past few years. I bought a sleeve of 250 Wizamets. I thought they were fine but I was not overly excited about them.

Will try and evaluate them a bit more closely this year. I have some of the Pol Silvers that I can compare them to now.

My blades are marked 22/10/21.

I take this to mean October 22, 2021.

Top Bottom