What's new

Iridium -Super (PPI) Old vs. NEW

Hmm... I was about to buy some wizamet blades from Ebay. I don't think I will if the blades are lower quality.

@ivan_101 maybe you got a bad batch of blades?

Hmm... I was about to buy some wizamet blades from Ebay. I don't think I will if the blades are lower quality.

@ivan_101 maybe you got a bad batch of blades?
Did you read all my posts in the thread? I have 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022. Do you think 2020, 2021 and 2022 are all 'bad batches'?

Have been using Gillette blades for decades, not only PPI-made but from many other countries. Never had a 'bad batch'. This is Gillette.

Last edited:
With the help of @nav I could pinpoint it even better. He has blades manufactured 05/2020 that are the older sharper Iridiums. I have 06/2020 that are the newer version with less sharpness.

Ergo the blades were changed in June 2020.
Thanks for figuring this out! I have 2017s and 2019s and one tuck with no date.

Reactions: nav

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
As a fan of all things Wizamet and Polsilver, have been following this thread with great interest since the first post. I am currently on a road trip reading this post, and noticed I have three squished tucks of Wizamet blades in my travel kit. So I figured I would take them out and examine.

For the record, I have many sleeves of Wizamet blades, but don’t really know that I have any past the 6/2020 time stamp noted above. I do note that on occasion I have experienced a sub par shave with a Wizamet blade, where there would be some tugging, irritation, etc. But I have always attributed that to an incompatibility with that particular razor. Next shave with a blade from that same tuck in a “known-compatible” razor would prove more than satisfactory in my recollection. And my policy is that once I have a sub par shave with any blade, I bin it regardless. So I would not have known if that actual blade was a dud, or if an incompatible razor was the true culprit.

I have 3 tucks with me today. These were tossed into my travel kit randomly at different times for who knows what reason. Why there are three, I have no idea. It just happened that way. I have a bag of blade tucks that come with me in my kit. And I travel a lot, so they get shuffled around a lot. Used a lot. No rhyme or reason as to what winds up in there. And that bag is like hotel California. Once they go in, they never leave… until empty.

My tucks current tucks are from 2017, 2019, and 2020. They are all slightly different. The first two have white wrappers, but different tuck graphics. The 2020 tuck is the same as the ‘19, but have the printed inner wrapper. All three have the two wax dots near the center slot. The 2020 is from Jan or March depending on which date format was used. If anyone knows, let me know. The 2020 pack was the only one that was sealed. The other two are down to a blade or two. I opened the 2020 tuck just for the photo, and will shave with it today. My last shave was with a ‘17 specimen, and it was a silky smooth ride. I would normally use it again right now, but I will bin it in the name of science and use the 2020. But based on the notes above, I don’t expect it to be anything but silky smooth. I only have one razor with me, which is a Timeless 68 in polished stainless. Not the most efficient, but a worthy weapon any way you slice it.

I will report back shortly. I will also dig out my blade stash when I get home and check to see if have any later dated wizzies in there.

IMG_1632.jpeg

IMG_1633.jpeg

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Just shaved with that early 2020 blade. It was so silky smooth in that Timeless that I didnt even need aftershave! And I love aftershave! By the time I realized I didnt put any on, I was already dressed and it was too late. Not really too late, but I thought about it, and figured I didnt need it at that point. Anyways, that Wizzie from early 2020 passed with flying colors. So when I get back from my road trip I will look for some blades that are from 6/2020 or newer.

Also, to expand on my comment from earlier about incompatible razors... I find that the Wizzie does not work well in a high gap Wolfman (WR2 1.55, etc), or an early Charcoal Goods Level 3 razor (Gen 1 or Gen 2). The WR2 1.15 (my number one razor) is just on that line, where the SI blades are still a little rough. And the CG Level 2 (my second favorite razor) is the same way for me. Back in the day, when I started using those specific razors, the Polsilver SI was my top blade. I was very disappointed that the Polsilver was rough an tuggy in those razors. I had no issue putting one in a Slim, Fatboy or Toggle and cranking it all the way to 9. But in those higher gap Wolf and CG razors, I had trouble getting a smooth shave with the Polsilver. And the modern Wizamet is the same way. So that is when I discovered how amazing the Perma Sharp, and Light Blue Box Platinums work in those razors. And my hopes and dreams of consolidating down to one modern blade went up in smoke.

But for a very long time, the Wizamet and Polsilver blades, from all years and eras, have been my very favorite overall.

I will try to find a newer 2020 blade this week and report back. Thanks to all for the great info in this thread!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I just checked mine.... 21/11/21.... 4 wax dots. These were among the first DE blades I purchased. I haven't used one for a while now. I only know.... I reach for Perma-Sharp blades, Nacets before my recent Perma-Sharp run.... I'm not sure what to think about this thread since I'm too new to have used the Polsilver or the older Wizamets... I've never done a good evaluation of the differences between the DE blades I have on hand. I don't have a ton of variety since, as I've previously mentioned, I just copied some of you... bought your favorites.

These are the blades I have in quantities... more than 100.

1. Wizamet
2. Kai
3. Nacet
4. Perma-Sharp
5. Personna Comfort Coated USA

I guess I should figure out which of these is best for me. I've been using the Perma-Sharp blades for months, it seems. I'd have to check for the last time I used a different one.

Edit: I didn't mean to take this thread off topic.... It's just that I agree with a few others on this thread.... I'm not sure I think my Wizamets are that special... if they were, wouldn't I would naturally gravitate toward them? That hasn't happened... Am I making a mistake?

Last edited:
I have some wizamet produced in 2023 and they are not good blades. They are not awful either, but I do not see what could push anyone in getting them these days.

I swear, you people. There I was, all fired up to shave with my Lupo 1.27 razor tonight but nooo...

I've decided to hold off until tomorrow evening and do some blade testing on a good two days growth. My blades are from 2019, 20, 21, 22 and 23 but initially I've chosen 12/19 vs 09/20.
Since I don't share some of youse advanced talents for picking up on blade nuances, I've decided this will be a blind test.

Two identical razors (Lupo 72) with identical Windrose Ti handles.
20240219_191211.jpg

Don't let the darker handle fool you, that's just the light in the photo. I scrubbed both before marking and loading the blades. They are truly identical twins. Then the wife played shell-game-shuffle with them and marked one with orange tape on the bottom so I can differentiate while shaving.
20240219_191259.jpg

The contestants:
20240219_191448.jpg

No guarantee that I can tell a difference in sharpness but I'm fairly sensitive to irritation so my trusty alum stick will be at the ready.
My gratitude goes out to all of you for complicating my life and disturbing my inner tranquility. :devil:

Seriously though, great thread and it'll be fun. :a14:

g
As a fan of all things Wizamet and Polsilver, have been following this thread with great interest since the first post. I am currently on a road trip reading this post, and noticed I have three squished tucks of Wizamet blades in my travel kit. So I figured I would take them out and examine.

For the record, I have many sleeves of Wizamet blades, but don’t really know that I have any past the 6/2020 time stamp noted above. I do note that on occasion I have experienced a sub par shave with a Wizamet blade, where there would be some tugging, irritation, etc. But I have always attributed that to an incompatibility with that particular razor. Next shave with a blade from that same tuck in a “known-compatible” razor would prove more than satisfactory in my recollection. And my policy is that once I have a sub par shave with any blade, I bin it regardless. So I would not have known if that actual blade was a dud, or if an incompatible razor was the true culprit.

I have 3 tucks with me today. These were tossed into my travel kit randomly at different times for who knows what reason. Why there are three, I have no idea. It just happened that way. I have a bag of blade tucks that come with me in my kit. And I travel a lot, so they get shuffled around a lot. Used a lot. No rhyme or reason as to what winds up in there. And that bag is like hotel California. Once they go in, they never leave… until empty.

My tucks current tucks are from 2017, 2019, and 2020. They are all slightly different. The first two have white wrappers, but different tuck graphics. The 2020 tuck is the same as the ‘19, but have the printed inner wrapper. All three have the two wax dots near the center slot. The 2020 is from Jan or March depending on which date format was used. If anyone knows, let me know. The 2020 pack was the only one that was sealed. The other two are down to a blade or two. I opened the 2020 tuck just for the photo, and will shave with it today. My last shave was with a ‘17 specimen, and it was a silky smooth ride. I would normally use it again right now, but I will bin it in the name of science and use the 2020. But based on the notes above, I don’t expect it to be anything but silky smooth. I only have one razor with me, which is a Timeless 68 in polished stainless. Not the most efficient, but a worthy weapon any way you slice it.

I will report back shortly. I will also dig out my blade stash when I get home and check to see if have any later dated wizzies in there.

View attachment 1798635

View attachment 1798636
01/03 means the 1st of March.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
@ivan_101 , I want to thank you for starting this thread.. I missed it the first time around. This is always a problem for us guys who are newer here.... Things change... I ordered my Wizamet blades quite a while ago. I got the first 250 sleeve sometime in the fall of 2022, I think... I based the purchase on the posts of several people here, thinking I was looking at the same blades they loved so much.

It isn't that they are bad blades for me. I was brand new to DE shaving, having started out with an AC razor. I figured I just didn't know what I was doing when I wasn't overly impressed. I thought they were supposed to be one of the sharpest and smoothest blades out there. After following this thread for a while, it seems they might be a sort of second tier blade... at premium prices.

Would you consider that an accurate statement?

@ivan_101 , I want to thank you for starting this thread.. I missed it the first time around. This is always a problem for us guys who are newer here.... Things change... I ordered my Wizamet blades quite a while ago. I got the first 250 sleeve sometime in the fall of 2022, I think... I based the purchase on the posts of several people here, thinking I was looking at the same blades they loved so much.

It isn't that they are bad blades for me. I was brand new to DE shaving, having started out with an AC razor. I figured I just didn't know what I was doing when I wasn't overly impressed. I thought they were supposed to be one of the sharpest and smoothest blades out there. After following this thread for a while, it seems they might be a sort of second tier blade... at premium prices.

Would you consider that an accurate statement?
The newer blades are by no means bad. They are just slightly less sharp compared to the old ones. That's all. I keep shaving with them without problems. But they are not the old ones. If I load an old in my mildest Tech I know I will get BBS. If I load in the very same Tech a new Iridium, BBS will be impossible with my whiskers.

First tier, second tier etc. are meaningless terms. Simply because blades are 100% subjective. I bet for many users the newer Irdium -Super blades will be preferable compared to the old ones. Simply because they are not super sharp. Heck I have even read here a few comments how Gillette Silver Blue or PERMA-SHARP are super sharp. No they are not. You just like mild blades.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The newer blades are by no means bad. They are just slightly less sharp compared to the old ones. That's all. I keep shaving with them without problems. But they are not the old ones. If I load an old in my mildest Tech I know I will get BBS. If I load in the very same Tech a new Iridium, BBS will be impossible with my whiskers.

First tier, second tier etc. are meaningless terms. Simply because blades are 100% subjective. I bet for many users the newer Irdium -Super blades will be preferable compared to the old ones. Simply because they are not super sharp. Heck I have even read here a few comments how Gillette Silver Blue or PERMA-SHARP are super sharp. No they are not. You just like mild blades.
I’m too new and have such limited experience with DE blades. AC blades are easier: there are only 6 or so from which to choose.

I’ve read that Feathers and BIC blades are the sharpest but I’ve never tried either. I do have a tuck of each, thrown in for free with other orders. I’ve said it many times: the choices for DE blades was and continues to be overwhelming. I just copied some of you guys and bought a few of your favorites. The issue at hand is……. I thought I was actually buying a favorite but there were manufacturing changes so I don’t really have those favorite Wizamet blades.

I thought Perma-Sharp and Nacet blades were just under the Feathers and BICs, for sharpness, but I could well be wrong, given my limited knowledge and experience.

I thought Perma-Sharp and Nacet blades were just under the Feathers and BICs, for sharpness, but I could well be wrong, given my limited knowledge and experience.

I haven't tried a Feather nor a Bic, but I myself think the Nacet and Perma-Sharp are up there past the Gillette Platinum and possibly the Silver Blue in sharpness. And certainly they are sharper than the usual range of Treets & Lords I prefer.

Razor blades are weird. It's like once you find a favorite, you almost have to stockpile a few thousand to ensure you have an adequate supply, even if the blade isn't discontinued, because there are no guarantees with manufacturing consistency year-to-year.

I haven't tried a Feather nor a Bic, but I myself think the Nacet and Perma-Sharp are up there past the Gillette Platinum and possibly the Silver Blue in sharpness. And certainly they are sharper than the usual range of Treets & Lords I prefer.

Razor blades are weird. It's like once you find a favorite, you almost have to stockpile a few thousand to ensure you have an adequate supply, even if the blade isn't discontinued, because there are no guarantees with manufacturing consistency year-to-year.
I'm lucky and have a number of 'favorites,' so while I have a large stockpile overall (thousands), it is spread over a number of different blades, including some that are quite inexpensive. A few hundred Iridiums in my regular rotation will last me a long time, and by rotating I get to treat the Iridiums like a special prize when they come up to use :)

Bless my easy-to-cut facial hair!

I'm lucky and have a number of 'favorites,' so while I have a large stockpile overall (thousands), it is spread over a number of different blades, including some that are quite inexpensive. A few hundred Iridiums in my regular rotation will last me a long time, and by rotating I get to treat the Iridiums like a special prize when they come up to use :)

Bless my easy-to-cut facial hair!

How easy? You shave with water only?🤣

Top Bottom