What's new

Iridium -Super (PPI) Old vs. NEW

iridium -super old v new.jpg

This is supposed to be the last comparison of old vs new Russian PPI blades. On the left we have a pack or double wrapped Iridium -Super. Bought in January 2010, which means manufactured in 2009 or earlier. On the right a pack manufactured 09/2022. Single wrapped of course.

Again same comparison method. Only the blade has been the variable. Everything else the same: razor, brush, cream, aftershave.

I had to repeat the test in another razor to be 100% sure. The first razor was 7 O'clock Sterling, then again two shaves but in the Lupo 95SB.
These blades do not shave the same. The 2022 has a lower sound while cutting. The old one - higher. The new one had a very light tugging when I went ATG on my moustache (with both razors, mind you). The old blade just glides effortlessly like a hot knife through butter. The most important thing: after I did the first pass, during the second one I start feeling irritation with the 2022 blade (both razors, again). And that irritation increases by the end of the shave. No irritation whatsoever with the old Iridium -Super. During the application of aftershave the stinging with the new 2022 blade is 4 times more.

The difference in closeness of shave is negligible. I think still the old one shaved a hair closer, but most users will not notice it.

So to sum it up. And this is my personal opinion: Gillette made in the late 2000s in Russia a legendary blade, that has been ruined in the last years. So what you buy now is not those old magnificent packs. Is is like a poor imitaion.

P.S. Some users said they see a difference between 2019 and 2022 Iridium -Super. That will be tested too. I have 2019.
Also there will be done a testing of those Iridiums versus the Polsilver Super Iridium. ;)

The difference in closeness of shave is negligible. I think still the old one shaved a hair closer, but most users will not notice it.

So to sum it up. And this is my personal opinion: Gillette made in the late 2000s in Russia a legendary blade, that has been ruined in the last years. So what you buy now is not those old magnificent packs. Is is like a poor imitaion.
So is the 2022 Iridium still a premium blade amongst other current production blades? Ok I get the hype over the legend may be long gone in terms of performance compared to early 2000's versions but is the 2022 still a good quality blade? In your opinion.

So is the 2022 Iridium still a premium blade amongst other current production blades? Ok I get the hype over the legend may be long gone in terms of performance compared to early 2000's versions but is the 2022 still a good quality blade? In your opinion.
"Premium" is a completely subjective thing with blades. That is why I explicitly wrote "in my personal opinion". I bought 620 of the new blades at a good price. Now I kinda feel swindled. If I knew about the change I wouldn't buy them.

"Premium" is a completely subjective thing with blades. That is why I explicitly wrote "in my personal opinion". I bought 620 of the new blades at a good price. Now I kinda feel swindled. If I knew about the change I wouldn't buy them.

Objection! Wait a minute... aren't you the gentleman with the self-described whiskers like black barbwire? :c1:

I guess it stands to reason. Myself, with normal, although admittedly quite old whiskers, I value smoothness above super sharpness. In addition, I get great longevity from these blades. Six to ten shaves depending on prep. I think all mine are the newer version.

Thanks for the comparison. I'm curious as to your opinion on what I consider some super sharp blades like GSB, Personna Lab Blues and Perma-Sharp... and if they appeal to you?

Last edited:
I guess this explains why, when I finally tried these feted blades, I was "meh". My notes say, "I don't understand the reputation for sharpness these blades have acquired." I am guessing what I tried would have been around 2019, though iirc they looked like the ones on the left. I have another pack somewhere so I can revisit them one day.

Objection! Wait a minute... aren't you the gentleman with the self-described whiskers like black barbwire? :c1:

I guess it stands to reason. Myself, with normal, although admittedly quite old whiskers, I value smoothness above super sharpness. In addition, I get great longevity from these blades. Six to ten shaves depending on prep. I think all mine are the newer version.

Thanks for the comparison. I'm curious as to your opinion on what I consider some super sharp blades like GSB, Personna Lab Blues and Perma-Sharp... and if they appeal to you?
True. Black super tough whiskers now with some grey hair.
My good guess is you missed something in the original post. The main difference between the new and old blades is not the sharpness. The new ones are very sharp too. It is the irritation I get and the feeling during hair cutting.

All the blades you mention: Siver Blue, Perma-Sharp and Lab blue are less sharp than the Iridium -Super (both old and new). Which other blades I like is subjective. Don't try to look for a relation to what blades others like or don't like. Just use what you like.

But let's not stray from the topic, which is about old vs new Iridium -Super. My main point was: The blades have been changed. For me this is a change for the worse. P&G are now just taking your money relying on the past glory of the model.

Last edited:
I don’t know how the wrapping of the blades occur… if all blades go to one packaging department, or if a wrapping machine is individually hooked up to each production machine.

If the latter, the number of wax dots could be an indication of which production line a blade comes from. Some PPI blades have 2 wax dots and some have 4.

How many dots on the old blade?

I don’t know how the wrapping of the blades occur… if all blades go to one packaging department, or if a wrapping machine is individually hooked up to each production machine.

If the latter, the number of wax dots could be an indication of which production line a blade comes from. Some PPI blades have 2 wax dots and some have 4.

How many dots on the old blade?
This has been discussed already here.
Not different lines, but different times.

The old double wrapped P&G blades were with 4 dots. Then they switched to single wrappers around 2012 and the glue was in two spots in the center on the slot. Then in late 2018 Gillette switched back to 4 dots.

lasta

Blade Biter

The old double wrapped P&G blades were with 4 dots. Then they switched to single wrappers around 2012 and the glue was in two spots in the center on the slot. Then in late 2018 Gillette switched back to 4 dots.
Sometimes 4 sometimes 2, whatever the line manager feels like apparently.

Sometimes 4 sometimes 2, whatever the line manager feels like apparently.
I personally like very much what they did from 2012 to 2018. Two dots. Less wax left on my razors and somwhat easier to get the blade from the wrapper. Returning back to 4 (a tad smaller than prior to 2012) dots might have beеn because they considered the method in the center around the slot wasn't reliable enough. Only a hypothesis though.

Sorry, was not aware of that. Missed that thread.

True. Black super tough whiskers now with some grey hair.
My good guess is you missed something in the original post. The main difference between the new and old blades is not the sharpness. The new ones are very sharp too. It is the irritation I get and the feeling during hair cutting.

All the blades you mention: Siver Blue, Perma-Sharp and Lab blue are less sharp than the Iridium -Super (both old and new). Which other blades I like is subjective. Don't try to look for a relation to what blades others like or don't like. Just use what you like.

But let's not stray from the topic, which is about old vs new Iridium -Super. My main point was: The blades have been changed. For me this is a change for the worse. P&G are now just taking your money relying on the past glory of the model.

My experience matches yours!

The 2019/20 Wizamet are like polsilver in efficiency and feel. These have the glue at the centre of the blade.

The 4 glue dot Wizamet I found less smooth, a little more tuggy and experienced irritation DURING the shave, which is weird!
It's like my skin was having a reaction. It was getting red, hot and splotchy!

Where can one get the old Wizamet? I have 230+ of 2022 Wizamets and they are alright (very smooth), but I much prefer Bics (sharper and very smoothsmooth). I'd love to try the old Wiz.

Top Bottom