What's new

PERMA-SHARP (PPI) Old vs New

perma-sharp.jpg

Here is the next comparison of old vs new PPI (Russia) blades. PERMA-SHARP. This model has been renamed twice. The first were Perma-Sharp Super. Then they renamed them to Prema-Sharp Stainless and now they are only Perma-Sharp.

On the left is a pack of double wrapped blades, bought in 2010. On the right the latest I could find. Manufactured 01/22. Everything used was the same except for the blade. Even the aftershave used. These blades shave the same.

Stay tuned for the last comparison. Pre-2010 Iridium -Super vs the latest ones.

I like these since I don't need the ultra-sharpest Gillettes for my whiskers. To me, these fall between Astras ( milder ) and 7 OC SharpEdges ( sharper ) while still being very smooth. They've also been available on the river website for less than $10 a 100 for the last year or so which makes them only slightly more expensive than Astras.

Reactions: Kix
I like these since I don't need the ultra-sharpest Gillettes for my whiskers. To me, these fall between Astras ( milder ) and 7 OC SharpEdges ( sharper ) while still being very smooth. They've also been available on the river website for less than $10 a 100 for the last year or so which makes them only slightly more expensive than Astras.
Which SharpEdge. Old or new? There is quite the difference.

Good point. The last batch of 100 I purchased was in July 2022. I'll check the manufacture date. I keep forgetting PPI has thrown us curveballs on these blades.
If they were bought in 2022, most probably they are the new ©2017 version. Ugh! :c1:

If they were bought in 2022, most probably they are the new ©2017 version. Ugh! :c1:
When I first got into wet shaving way back in 2010 I picked up a tuck of these ( SharpEdges ), and for lack of a better word, they felt really prickly. I suspect my technique wasn't up to the challenge of the sharpness of these blades. I stayed away from them until 22 when I decided to grab 100 when I saw a good deal for them on Amazon. They felt much better than I had remembered them and chalked it up to my technique and razors improving over the intervening years, and perhaps the fact my whiskers are getting tougher as I age.

The reality is they just got milder and I like milder blades for the most part.

I'll have to give the Perma-sharps and SharpEdges a head-to-head to see if I still feel like they have much of a difference.

When I first got into wet shaving way back in 2010 I picked up a tuck of these ( SharpEdges ), and for lack of a better word, they felt really prickly. I suspect my technique wasn't up to the challenge of the sharpness of these blades. I stayed away from them until 22 when I decided to grab 100 when I saw a good deal for them on Amazon. They felt much better than I had remembered them and chalked it up to my technique and razors improving over the intervening years, and perhaps the fact my whiskers are getting tougher as I age.

The reality is they just got milder and I like milder blades for the most part.

I'll have to give the Perma-sharps and SharpEdges a head-to-head to see if I still feel like they have much of a difference.
The old ones were almost Feather sharp.

I bought 300 Gillette yellows back in 2019 because of all the rave reviews. They are very disappointing to me. I like Nacets. These are just not sharp enough.

I've only tried the "new" ones, and really like them! Very sharp and smooth, and even better, they are some of
the cheapest blades available, at 9 cents ea. They're some of my favorites, along with the "new" Personna Platinums, made in Germany.

Top Bottom