What's new

Iridium -Super (PPI) Old vs. NEW

I am thinking that feather blades are the safest bet. Have you find any other blade that satisfies as much as Wizamet?

Yes I definitely have however, the saddest thing is that the current production of this blade kind of sucks!

It's the BIC chrome platinum.
The older yellow tuck version is my most favourite blade of all time!
Better than polsilver even!

The current orange tuck comes nowhere close to the yellow tuck. It's not a blade I would use.

In which razor?

My daily drivers; blackbird and progress @3.5

I do 4 passes daily.

Same for me with the wizamet 2023 and a yates 921 h. There was so much tugging that I just gave up on these blades.

This is the thing...The blades are not marginally worse. They have been totally degraded compared to pre 06/2020!

I wouldn't want to use any current production blade. I've stocked up on a lifetimes with of BIC but it's scary to think there's no blades being produced which I would want to use!

Yes I definitely have however, the saddest thing is that the current production of this blade kind of sucks!

The current orange tuck comes nowhere close to the yellow tuck. It's not a blade I would use.

Interesting. I have tested authentic yellow and orange BICs in identical Super Clicks and not found any difference. However, there are fake orange BICs floating around and they are terrible. I tossed two whole boxes that were rather cheap from Vietnam. Buyer beware, only buy them from trusted sources.

I shaved left side with one razor, right side with the other. Identical Lupo 72 razors and right side razor was marked with an orange dot of tape. One blade was 2019 and (slight change) the other was dated 2023.
I was unaware which blade was in either.

Over two days growth, no tugging on either side. Sometimes the left side seemed a bit smoother; whether due to the blade or backhand shaving with my right hand... I can't be certain. They were that close to me. After the shave and opening razors, the 2019 was in the left side razor. I had very minimal but uniform alum feedback on my lower neck post-shave. No greater irritation on the right side. Basically, a great 2 razor shave.

I concur and doubt most members with average beards could detect the difference. Those with tough, super thick beards? 🤷
Today I shaved with the original test blade (before I changed it) Wizamet SI dated 09/20. Used in a SS Karve with E-plate, 1.10mm gap, 1.7mm exposure. Smooth like buttah.
Hmmm, I might have to test 2016 Pols vs 2022 Wizamets in Super Clicks. I might have two Gillette Blue razors as well. My Wizamets are pretty ok, but nothing that takes my breath away, but then again, neither did the 2016 Pols.

Too late to edit my post but that Karve exposure was meant to be 0.17mm, not 1.7mm. 🤣

My post was from a production factory environment where the slightest distraction can result in a deviation from specifications to high or low end, and I'm talking tenthousandths of an inch, the spec on my wire is
0.0220 +/- 0.00015.. hint, hint.

Hmm... I got about 190 BIC blades but orange tuck. There is no other blade here apart BIC or Astra here locally. I missed the change buying Wizamet when I had in mind three years ago (blame my desire to use straight razor or a shavette at that time and the rotation of blades) and now I have to find out if my BIC stash would be any good for me.

Wizamet seems no more highly praised as it seems. The future lays in the Chinese blades I guess.

Hmm... I got about 190 BIC blades but orange tuck. There is no other blade here apart BIC or Astra here locally. I missed the change buying Wizamet when I had in mind three years ago (blame my desire to use straight razor or a shavette at that time and the rotation of blades) and now I have to find out if my BIC stash would be any good for me.

Wizamet seems no more highly praised as it seems. The future lays in the Chinese blades I guess.
My findings with the fake BICs. Not sure if you have any real ones to compare you stash too. But in general, the fakes have waxy paper (when felt from the inside), smoother cardboard (when felt from the inside), imprecise blade printing and shave like crap:

Interesting. I have tested authentic yellow and orange BICs in identical Super Clicks and not found any difference. However, there are fake orange BICs floating around and they are terrible. I tossed two whole boxes that were rather cheap from Vietnam. Buyer beware, only buy them from trusted sources.

My findings with the fake BICs. Not sure if you have any real ones to compare you stash too. But in general, the fakes have waxy paper (when felt from the inside), smoother cardboard (when felt from the inside), imprecise blade printing and shave like crap:

For the third time I will ask. Please pay attention to the topic. This is not a thread about Bic.

For the third time I will ask. Please pay attention to the topic. This is not a thread about Bic.
Yes, you are right. However your thread, which was very helpful made its point :

Every Wizamet blade after 2019 is not as sharp or smooth as the previous models.

Yes, you are right. However your thread, which was very helpful made its point :

Every Wizamet blade after 2019 is not as sharp or smooth as the previous models.
You didn't get it right. And you even put it in bold.
Iridium -Super blades starting 06/2020.

I got all my BIC from an official distributor.
I got yellow CP, orange CP and the Astor. The two latter were not at all good.

Please try the orange BIC and share your feedback. For me, they just didn't work anywhere like the older yellow tuck.

This is my last comment on BIC in this thread, I promise 🙂

BTW I have found all PPI blades have gone rubbish after mid-2020.
Something must have happened in PPI factory after covid. Maybe their QC guy lost his job 😬

You didn't get it right. And you even put it in bold.
Iridium -Super blades starting 06/2020.
Thanks!

It is good to have blade related scientific proofs set correctly and also to have constructive debate on blades production details which do give a great meaning to our life.

After 2019,I meant 2020, but omitting 6 months of valid production is a big mistake from me. My apologies!

Last edited:
Hello,

So after explaining how I did not like the 2023 wizamet in a yates 921 h, I tried one today in an overlander. It went better, less tugging, but still they are not very sharp in my opinion. I can tell it from the number of repetitive pass I had to make.

So if I could conclude:
- they are smooth;
- they are not sharp enough at least for me;
- the behavior seems to vary a lot depending on the razor.

Once again I am talking about the 2023 ones.

Top Bottom