What's new

Tips for shaving against the grain

Hello,

I have been using a DE razor for about 8 months now.

I usually do 2 or 3 pass shaves (with, than twice across the grain). But I've recently been doing a 4th pass against the grain.

I have a thick beard and when I go against the grain, I get some small ingrown hairs around my chin. Nothing too nuts but it looks like crap. I only ever shave after a hot shower, otherwise it hurts like hell.

This never happens to me when I have a barber do it.

I'm wondering if you all might have some against the grain tips for reducing the ingrown hairs when shaving against the grain.

Equipment: Edwin Jagger DE Razor. Blade is usually an Astra SP or Feather SS. Almost always use Proraso from the tube and a slicone brush.

For some folks shaving ATG results in ingrown hairs. For those folks often the only remedy is to avoid the ATG pass.

The only tips I can give you is to be sure you are using a light touch if you insist on going ATG. Also, you may want to substitute an additional XTG pass in a different direction or try blade buffing.

Welcome to B&B; enjoy the forum and your shaves. Zero pressure when going against the grain. Hold the razor in your fingers tips at the end of the handle and just barely skim the lather from your face. Limit your routine to only one ATG pass to avoid irritation and ingrowns. This works for me, but YMMV.

For some folks shaving ATG results in ingrown hairs. For those folks often the only remedy is to avoid the ATG pass.

The only tips I can give you is to be sure you are using a light touch if you insist on going ATG. Also, you may want to substitute an additional XTG pass in a different direction or try blade buffing.

^^^ Excellent advice here. The blade bluffing takes just a few extra moments.

I'm not familiar with Blade Bluffing.What is it?

Firstly, ATG passes on such contoured areas should always be done with extremely short strokes as the face shape changes so much in such a short period, this will allow you to reset your razor angle frequently, reducing the chance of dragging the blade.

If it is just a pass that doesn't work well for you I could also recommend a modified ATG pass, taking the pass at a diagonal (say in between XTG and ATG). I do this diagonal (modified) pass on my neck instead of ATG and it works very well for me whereas ATG does not work at all and results in significant irritation.

i also had this problem, the solution for me was what bemiller suggested, i go diagonally across the grain along my jaw line and neck. I've also found if i do wtg/xtg/atg and leave out the 2nd xtg it also works

ymmv

These are all great tips. I might suggest exfoliating the night before so you can get those hairs away from the surface of the skin.

+1 Not everyone can go ATG! Good luck.

Welcome to B&B,
I use a Gillette slide stroke on my toughest ATG areas, turning the blade at a diagonal to the direction of the stroke. Use a light touch.

I'm a newbie too. I normally do a WTG then XTG then ATG. But today I switched it up and did the ATG on the 2nd pass rather than last. And it seemed to work better. Time will tell as it was only one day but maybe you could try doing the ATG sooner.

To StayLucky,

I have to confirm what some DE Shavers advise, 'Prep is Everything'! My procedure
is to use Hot Towels after I use Musgo Real Glycerin Lime Oil Soap. I have found that
the hot towels to a great prep. Even with several razor blades from different manufactures,
they all result in a BBS shave for me. My beard is extremely course especially in the chin
and jaw areas.

Hope this helps. Best Always.

Jon

+1 on blade buffing. And if you have an area that is absolutely horrible, you can always just skip the ATG in that one spot and do it everywhere else. Depending on where it is, probably nobody will ever notice.

- Badger Bill

Top Bottom