What's new

Hard to shave areas

I have been back to de shaving for about a year and a half. The last time I shaved with a safety razors I used my father's supper speed and I was about 13 years old. I have hard shave areas by my jaw area. They don't feel smooth even after my skin is dry. My last passes in this area are against the grain. Do other people have this issue?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm sure you've done this.... but I let my whiskers grow for a few days then "mapped" my face. You'll discover which way your whiskers grow and adopt techniques that address those problem areas.

I'm not sure which part of your jaw is causing you difficulties... along the hmmmmm jawbone itself? I know, I use very light pressure there with my final Against the Grain pass... only a small part of the blade hits that area but you can hear the whiskers being cut. If I feel along the jawline, I can tell if I did a good job or not.

I have a similar problem with my chin area... both the chin itself and the sides of my face on either side of my bottom lip. Usually, going across the grain in both directions takes care of that issue for me.

I have been back to de shaving for about a year and a half. The last time I shaved with a safety razors I used my father's supper speed and I was about 13 years old. I have hard shave areas by my jaw area. They don't feel smooth even after my skin is dry. My last passes in this area are against the grain. Do other people have this issue?

I have the same issue, especially on the left side of my face.

Here's what I do. As advised above, map your beard. Reapply shave cream to the troublesome area with each pass and make several light passes against the grain. For me, a mild but efficient razor works best for this. My best results are with the Karve Overlander and the Lambda Athena using a good sharp blade such as a Nacet. Other razors that give me excellent results but require attention to proper technique/angle are the Blackland Blackbird and the Timeless .95.

I've had similar issues! You might have to do multiple blade strokes on those areas so best advice I could share from me is make sure you use a really slick cream or foam and avoid ones with a ton of SLS / SLES (SLS makes your skin feel like squeaky rubber once washed due to oil stripping). Main reason being harsh oil stripping soaps cause a lot of blade friction which is never nice, so anything with glycerin, wheat protein and oils/fatty acids will work best. And second thing is - try using a lower profile razor from the likes of Razorock, R48, leaf, henson etc and combine it with a milder blade (eg not feather) so that you can apply a bit more pressure and have some physical feedback on when/how you get rid of hair in those areas. Also help yourself by stretching your skin to expose the hair follicles better to the blade. Of course it all depends on your skin, hair, preferences etc. but in general that's what's helped me in the past :) Hope it helps you too somehow!

Thanks to all for your advice. I'm finding 5 light passes in different directions on my problem areas is giving me a better shave.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
The jawline can be a tough area. Decide if you're going to stretch the skin up or down (and make the appropriate facial gestures to accompany your choice). I find that blade buffing XTG works well in that area - for me. Keep experimenting and find out what works for you.

People are all different, getting the desired quality shave you seek is your persistence, trail, error, and finding out what works best for you.

We do not have Magic 8 Ball to answer out questions with perfect answer. The process is taking hints, and find what works for you.

One size fits all like in military, still cause problem for extremely short, and tall folks.

I've abandoned BBS in favor of my sanity and comfort.

My trouble areas are much the same, along the edge of my jaw, and my chin, from the corners of my mouth down to my jaw.

After three passes - WTG/XTG/ATG - I rinse and do my final touchup using the residual slickness left on my face to do touchup, focusing on those areas.

My results are DFS+, which (to me) is 95% BBS with very minor stubble in those ares, but only when feeling against the grain, and marble-face feeling with the grain.

As others have already said. Resist the urge to go over an area again without lather. I have also learned when to just stop and be satisfied... Even if that means it's not BBS.

Top Bottom