What's new

straight razor against the grain

For my ATG passes with the straight, I have the spine against my skin so the blade is basically flat. Then I do very short passes, no more than an inch wide, to keep it feeling safe. Short, narrow passes are most important going over the curves of my chin, where the barbs are also toughest.

The lather is also fresh and a little waterier than for the early passes. This helps me see what's happening and helps the blade slide easier.

Go slow and good luck!

I routinely perform a nearly full ATG pass with my AC shavettes but have not worked up the courage to attempt even a partial ATG with a straight razor...cluck...cluck...(chicken 😄).

I used to do 3 passes with a straight razor. WTG, XTG, and ATG. At first against the grain wasn’t good but with better honing and having the edge super keen helped. Now I only do two passes. WTG to lower the stubble and to finish it off and have a smooth face I go ATG. I prefer using the same angle, so WTG I do about 20 degrees. ATG I’ve had the best success with 20 or 25 degrees. I’ve tried lowering the angle really close to the face but I feel it doesn’t cut as well and also doesn’t feel that comfortable. I do small strokes when going ATG. Hope that helps

Top Bottom