What's new

straight razor against the grain

Hi guys I have a question in regards to shaving against the grain when using a straight razor. most of the week I use a double edge safety razor and with that I can go against the grain when I use it. just curious if when using my straight razor I can also go against the grain.

Hi guys I have a question in regards to shaving against the grain when using a straight razor. most of the week I use a double edge safety razor and with that I can go against the grain when I use it. just curious if when using my straight razor I can also go against the grain.
I don't have any experience myself with straights, but when i've been looking up reviews of soaps or other equipment, i've seen a few guys go against the grain with a straight razor. I'd definitely be more careful with a straight compared to a DE. And use a good soap!

Good luck!

In theory. Yes!

In practice. That’s down to you developing the right technique. :wink2:

I don’t use straights but use shavettes a fair bit. ATG isn’t straightforward in all areas (or necessary for me) but continued effort is helping me develop the required skills that I can do it if necessary.

My neck hair grows east to west. So I can’t go ATG exactly on my neck. I stretch and angle as much as I can. I will tell you that my straight razors cut closer than my DE, there is a trade off.

It's not just the edge that is in question, although that is a critical point. If the edge is not 'there' it won't do ATG well.

Also - lather density, wetness, matters a ton. If the suds are too thick and/or too dry you will probably sense tugging regardless of the edge.

Another thing is the true ATG. If you have mapped your whiskers then you know what the ATG actually is. The grain on my neck is more like crop circles so I need to rely on scything strokes if I want to really nail it.

Blade angle can factor in also... controlling it while sweeping across the curve of the neck requires paying attention and if not then the edge might not cut as well.

So yes, ATG is a commonly applied pass but sometimes it might take a minute or two to sort the technique out.

Yes ATG shaving is one of the nicest things about using a straight as the shave is so mild.
I do a north to south pass, then an ear to nose pass, then a south to north pass which it atg in most areas.
I then finish with an extra bespoke atg pass for all the little areas which don’t quite conform to the usual three pass directions.
I do this daily.
It takes some training to go atg especially around the chin and top lip and even more so when using the non dominant hand but it’s worth it and the shaves you can get are unrivalled.

Correct razor edge for comfortable ATG.
5.jpg

6.jpg

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
That hurts to look at. And it caused Wade and Butcher prices to spike, and other English razors too.

Yes ATG with a properly honed straight is not just possible but desirable.

I started adding an ATG pass last week, after getting I guess 200 SR shaves under my belt. I started honing on actual stones (rather than film) after about 100 shaves and have now reached the point where the edges are consistently good enough to hazard an ATG pass. So far I have added under the neck only, as that seems mechanically the easiest place to start. Took three or four shaves to get the angle down but already feels quite natural. I have never been able to do long passes ATG, I just saw away in little one inch increments. This still seems to be the case with a straight.

Yep, and I also have to do a scything pass under my jawline to get close. This is an advanced technique that should come after you’ve mastered a direct ATG pass. If you do it poorly you could seriously cut yourself across the entire surface of the blade in contact with your skin.

Especially on the neck, you don’t have to attempt to use the entire length of the blade. Favor a portion of the toe in some spots, heel in others, center of it on the Adam’s Apple, for example. Figure out what works, and do that.

The more you practice, the better you’ll get. Only shaving on the weekends will be slower progress. Meaningful repetition will give you faster gains.

The ATG angle in the picture posted earlier was wrong,
so I also used a low angle to move forward.
View attachment 1784502
I don't know where the 30 degree theory comes from. Seems to be taken as the correct way for no rhyme or reason from what I can gather. I just keep the spine somewhere between 1 to 2 spine widths off the skin.

I would typically finish my shave ATG except for the moustache area where I go XTG. Although I have faith in my edges, the devil's pass/suicide pass isn't for me.

In theory. Yes!

In practice. That’s down to you developing the right technique. :wink2:

I don’t use straights but use shavettes a fair bit. ATG isn’t straightforward in all areas (or necessary for me) but continued effort is helping me develop the required skills that I can do it if necessary.

In theory, theory and practice are the same, but

in practice, they're different. ;)

Top Bottom