What's new

Haberdashery Acquisitions

I have these with the commando sole and straight cap toe. They're outstanding, but a friendly tip - Alden's boot laces are a weak point. Consider replacing them with better/nicer laces. I put some $8 or so "biscuit" colored laces on mine and they are much nicer and look stunning (they get so many compliments, I don't wear them as often - as it makes me a little uncomfortable as then folks ask what they are and how much they cost).

Thanks for the tip, I've noticed the laces as well.

Hit a local outfitter in my city this morning looking for boots. Had been wanting to try the Wolverine 1000 mile boots for awhile and they had them in stock. My online research led me to wanting brown, but I ended up liking this cordovan-like color (they call it Cordovan #8 - it has lots of brown tones it seems too - not super red) instead - a bit different than anything else I have. Upside is how well these things fit - went down about a 1/2 size and the arch support is really great (I have very flat feet) - much better than the Redwing Iron Rangers I tried the other day. Brown would have been the "safer" choice and I am still a little unsure as I typically go with the more conservative choice, but I think I made the right call. Bonus was a 15% off sale! Now to investigate lace options...

$IMG_1582.jpg

Last edited:
Hit a local outfitter in my city this morning looking for boots. Had been wanting to try the Wolverine 1000 mile boots for awhile and they had them in stock. My online research led me to wanting brown, but I ended up liking this cordovan-like color (they call it Cordovan #8 - it has lots of brown tones it seems too - not super red) instead - a bit different than anything else I have. Upside is how well these things fit - went down about a 1/2 size and the arch support is really great (I have very flat feet) - much better than the Redwing Iron Rangers I tried the other day. Brown would have been the "safer" choice and I am still a little unsure as I typically go with the more conservative choice, but I think I made the right call. Bonus was a 15% off sale! Now to investigate lace options...

View attachment 642434
I'll send this photo to the electoral oversight committee in Augusta.:001_rolle

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Finally broke down and bought some new tennis shoes. I hold onto them for far too long. I normally get the American made New Balances, but after making 3 house payments (I am below $10k- woo hoo) I just couldn't swing it this time. I like NB because they make wide widths, so I can buy a shoe that actually fits.
$nb.jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Im love NB also because of the wide fit.

Which is what led me to finally break down and pop into a Red Wing store. For years I wore boots that didn't fit. I usually had to buy size 12 to make an off the shelf boot fit. I went to the Red Wind store, got my foot scanned, and walked out with a pair of 606s in 10.5 EEE. That was almost 3 years ago. I am going to go in and buy a pair of the same boot in black. My boots are in great shape, but it is coming time to get them resoled. Plus, I want to be able to rotate my boots to give them a solid day off between wearing. I never thought I would spend $225+ on a pair of work boots, but they are probably the best footwear choice I have ever made. When you think about the fact that I was buying a new pair of $80 boots every year (because they weren't the best quality), I think that they have paid for themselves. With resoling every 3 years or so, I bet these things last another 10. Maybe longer once I start rotating. I should have listened to what my grandfather told me long ago- buy once, cry once.

I had a local tailor knock this bespoke jacket up for me based on a modified Norfolk style belted shooting jacket I have. It's hard to see the colours but the jacket has a windowpane pattern with brown and light red lines on a light khaki-olive background. It was quite affordable and he's a nice Vietnamese tailor who was knowledgeable and we chatted about different styles of construction of suits and jackets as he told me he cuts everything in-house with his wife and he sews each button hole by hand (something confirmed when my seamstress friend looked at my jacket admiringly).

$IMG_20160324_145411.jpg

Last edited:
I had a local tailor knock this bespoke jacket up for me based on a modified Norfolk style belted shooting jacket I have. It's hard to see the colours but the jacket has a windowpane pattern with brown and light red lines on a light khaki-olive background. It was quite affordable and he's a nice Vietnamese tailor who was knowledgeable and we chatted about different styles of construction of suits and jackets as he told me he cuts everything in-house with his wife and he sews each button hole by hand (something confirmed when my seamstress friend looked at my jacket admiringly).

Very cool.

Tom

Third pair of custom fit Wesco Jobmasters were here when I came home this evening. I rather like the orange thread on brown leather with armortread sole.

proxy.php

Top Bottom