What's new

Are you a billboard?

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I won't wear it (a logo) unless I have to - I've told car dealers that I'll refuse delivery if there's adverts on the vehicle, drill throughs, decals, or plate surrounds. It is harder in clothes, North Face, for example, was once a very good manufacturer of great real outdoor gear - their sleeping bags were wonderful. Still are, at least the two I have, as well as a high altitude tent. Then, mayhaps, in come the marketing & sales types, and now we have them as the great example of over-branding. And dear old Nike is the best of all, extra children get to work overtime sewing little swooshes on stuff ..

i don't mind dead stock logos, rare logos, or obscure sports-related logos. canterbury of new zealand, for example. but that's about it. i'd rather eat my own ear than shill for such-and-such crap clothing company.

My wife jokes about this with me. I tend to remove labels from things when I can do it without messing up the appearance now that I have become more sensitive to this. I would wear some of my clothes more if they didn't have a big polo horse on the chest or other such logos...

This doesn't necessarily apply with some things, such as the three stripes built in to my Adidas Copa Indoors that I wear everywhere.

Speaking of this, I have a dealer logo I need to remove from my wife's car this evening. She will kid, but I don't care.

I once told a car dealership that if he put his name on the car...I would not buy it.
If he did he would pay me $500. a year for advertizing. He didn't.
I get paid to endorse.....It's in my contract.

I went through the exact thing with my last car. They put the license plate frame around my plate with their business info on it. I grabbed my screwdriver, took them both off & dropped them off at his desk. The next car I bought from them didn't have the frames around the plates & I didn't even have to ask.

No visible logos on what I'm wearing right now. My scarf has a small leather patch with the Roots logo on it. My shoulder bag (man-purse/murse/European carryall) has a little tab with the brand name on it, but I barely notice it and I doubt others do. My pocket-knife has a Case logo inlaid on the scales. My wallet has Roots stamped in the leather in small letters near the corner.

Generally speaking, I don't wear a lot of logos. I don't consciously avoid them, but I just don't pick clothes with big logos on them as a general rule. I don't know if it's from preference or what, because I've never really paid attention to that detail until I read this thread :biggrin1:

No logos on the my clothing, but I do wear New Balance walkers all the time.

Except golfing, then it's Foot Joy Comforts, so the logo is small.

I don't wear logos on garments. If they have a logo I don't buy them. Running shoes are a bit harder.

The only brand marks I can think of that I have on my play clothing is Mickey, Grumpy, Donald and Goofy.

Oh, and character watches. For the past 41 years or so, I've only ever worn character watches.

Last edited:
Unless someone notices the Johnston & Murphy badge on the soles of my slip-ons, the only noticeable branding is the leather patch on my Levi's. I made a conscious decision to eliminate a lot of logo-wear from my closet a few years ago. All that remains are a handful of Polo and Hilfiger shirts at this point.

It is harder in clothes, North Face, for example, was once a very good manufacturer of great real outdoor gear - their sleeping bags were wonderful. Still are, at least the two I have, as well as a high altitude tent. Then, mayhaps, in come the marketing & sales types, and now we have them as the great example of over-branding.

Mph. Columbia outerwear's the same deal. The logo keeps getting bigger every season. I had to go to three stores to find a simple brimmed cap for hiking that didn't look like a magazine advert.

Last edited:
My jeans have either the Wrangler or Key tags on the back pocket. My work shirts are Hi viz yellow/green so no outside tags. Most of my t shirts are from the wrestling tournaments i officiate at. I do have a few workout shirts that have the Cliff Keen symbol which I tolerate because there are only a few outside the wrestling world know about the Cliff Keen company

i have a few bands and funny logo t shirts. most of my pants are logo less,hidden or small. can't avoid names on watches really. most of all my button ups are logo less. my daily wear sneakers are a pair i bought from target so logo on that.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I don't mind logos on clothing as long as they are small and try to blend in. Such as the small North Face logo on jackets. My jacket is black and the stitching for North Face logo is also black. Colombia logo is just the word Colombia so I don't that. Same with Carhartt, I have a few button up shirts with a small tag that says Carhartt sewn to the side of the breast pocket. Any clothing where the company logo is plastered across the entire fabric I avoid.

And when I bought my truck, right off the showroom floor :001_cool:, I made it a point to tell them I don't want any dealer stickers or plate frames on it.

Well, I feel somewhat comforted that I'm not the only one that's made small scale mods to their shoes and clothing to quieten them down a little.

I have the ubiquitous North Face logo on more than a few pieces of gear. Guilty-as-charged. If I could opt for a more toned down approach, I would.

I do have a few loudly branded tees as well...

Most of the clothing I own don't have any visible branding out of preference. If I really like something and it has a small logo or crest so be it but if it was quite visible I would probably not be too interested in anyone.

I don't advertise for anybody for free. That goes for contractors such as the company that put vinyl siding on our home and the company that installed our chain link fence. They wanted to put signs in the yard advertising their work after they finished. I told them that it would cost them and they refused -- therefore no signs. Hey, nothing is free.

Bass Pro Shop sells caps with their logo, and people buy them!! I still can't get over that one. Baffles me no end.

About the only time I'm a billboard for anything is wearing stuff for the Arkansas Razorbacks or the St. Louis Cardinals. Other than that, I actively try to avoid being a billboard for anything.

Well I'd like to so no but as I look down I see a CF water bottle, multiple CF shirts and shorts, hats, toques..... Sigh, who am I kidding. I'm a freaking walking billboard. :001_tt2:

I've worn the same model New Balance shoes for over 10 years now simply because it worked very well for my prosthesis. I haven't any allegiance to them other than it works. Got a new leg with a different foot now so after Christmas I'll actually shop around as I never liked logos on my shoes. My watch is a solar powered Casio that I wear often, but you can't tell what it is unless you look closer or ask.. and I've never been asked. No logos on my shirts or shorts/pants.

I've worn the same model New Balance shoes for over 10 years now simply because it worked very well for my prosthesis. I haven't any allegiance to them other than it works. Got a new leg with a different foot now so after Christmas I'll actually shop around as I never liked logos on my shoes. My watch is a solar powered Casio that I wear often, but you can't tell what it is unless you look closer or ask.. and I've never been asked. No logos on my shirts or shorts/pants.

Are there any sneakers that don't have their brand on them? If there are I can't think of any.

Top Bottom