What's new

Are you a billboard?

My polo shirts for work are either BB or Polo. Other than that, I'm pretty clean. My Canada Goose winter coat has a patch, but that was unavoidable, unfortunately. Shoes, slacks, jeans, suits, casual shirts, t-shirts...nada. Seiko on my watch, but it's pretty small.

I'm on the board of a pension fund. The only 'logo-wear' I have is their stuff, polos, sweat shirts etc that they provide to staff for promotion purposes. So I'm a billboard by choice.

Do they work? You bet! I'm often asked about the fund when wearing the clothes and keep business cards handy for that purpose.

While they continue to work companies will continue to want you to wear the logo!

It is an ongoing struggle with SWMBO to avoid the logos. She finds things that I "need" that have logos on them. I refuse to purchase them because of said logo. She has learned over the years that if the logo is noticeable, it's probably not going to pass. The exception is a handful of work related trade group shirts and a couple of t-shirts from charitable organizations.

I like the "billboard by choice" idea. Very few of my clothing items have logos or brands on them, as I have long felt that quality should speak for itself and that if you have to advertise your style, then you don't really have one.

With that said, I do have a number of T-shirts that have the names, brands, or logos of organizations whose work I support or local companies whom I am happy to both patronize and advertise in a way that I have no interest in doing for national or international companies.

I don't wear any visible logos other than what the face of my watch says. Generally I will only buy things with removable tags. I feel like wearing brands is just self masturbation. It's a good way for a person to identify their "people" I guess. Nothing makes me want to puke more than seeing some nitwit with "Patagonia" embroidered on their soft shell parka as a for instance. Paying double for a logo...it's not smart no matter your income bracket

At work I usually wear a button up shirt (Kenneth Cole, Van Heusen, but just as frequently "Merona" brand shirts from Target), a pair of bootcut Levis, and all black DC Villian C's. My socks are usually Burlington, because they're decent and I buy in bulk, my undershirts and boxers are Hanes, almost exclusively white, because bleaching is just easier. Just FYI, the collar really doesn't stretch. The watch, is usually a Raketa, or Vostok, (because I find Russia fascinating) very rarely my steel Rolex Oyster. The only thing I wear besides my watch that has a visible logo is my my shoes, sometimes the tag is visible on the tongue, depending my sunglasses MAY have a visible logo but it's usually too small to see at any distance. I like to keep it casual, because I am a barber and I might have a judge in my chair followed by a recently paroled felon. I don't want to look like a hoodlum but I certainly don't want to look like a "snob".

Last edited:
I buy the clothing that I like and find functional. Often, this clothing has some sort of discreet logo on it somewhere. I don't take it off, generally because I don't care too terribly much about a small logo. The effort needed to remove the logo wouldn't be worth it to me. That said, shirts with large logos are almost always out (they're not a deal breaker with workout clothes) simply because I don't like the look. Pants seem quite easy to find without a prominent logo.

On the other hand, avoiding a logo gets quite a bit harder when you move to jackets and shells. I recently bought a softshell that has the brand name on the chest and on a sleeve, their logo on the back and the (brand) name of a fabric used on the other sleeve. This, in my opinion, strays into the excessive category. The only saving grace of these logos is that they're printed with a reflective material and therefore add some bit of functionality to the jacket. However, I bought a rain shell about four months ago that has only a tiny logo in a discreet location and printed in black on the black jacket.

We do get a lot of people where I work buying stuff almost exclusively from The North Face. They seem to be split between a perceived value perspective and a brand-centric perspective. The North Face Denali fleece is a perfect example. It's essentially a $180 fleece jacket and is one of our best sellers. I believe that many people buy them simply because everybody else has them, though even in the same store you can find a very similar jacket for quite a bit less.

I will avoid clothes that have large words or logos on them. If it is small and hard to notice I don't worry about it. I'd prefer it if none of my clothing had any logos, but this is getting harder to avoid. I'd say the biggest logo I'd wear would be whatever is on the back pocket of the jeans I happen to have on. They've always made jeans this way, so I don't really care about it.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Today, I am wearing that rarest of all beasts ... a Tommy Hilfiger shirt with no discernible branding.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I don't wear any visible logos other than what the face of my watch says. Generally I will only buy things with removable tags. I feel like wearing brands is just self masturbation. It's a good way for a person to identify their "people" I guess. Nothing makes me want to puke more than seeing some nitwit with "Patagonia" embroidered on their soft shell parka as a for instance. Paying double for a logo...it's not smart no matter your income bracket

Sounds like you're getting a bit carried away. Double? Is it really double? I don't know because I don't think I have ever bought a Patagonia product.

Sounds like you're getting a bit carried away. Double? Is it really double? I don't know because I don't think I have ever bought a Patagonia product.

I bought a black neoprene softshell parka. Pretty nice, hood folds up into the collar, pockets in the usual places, zippered vents under the arms for 40$. I had honestly never heard of the brand and don't remember it because I tore off the tiny logo tag over the bottom of the sleeve and it's not tagged inside, just lists the size. I saw a damn near identical Patagonia for $150.00 so I was actually low balling. I have had my jacket for over a year and not so much as a frayed thread for those who like to decry some perceived deficit in quality. If it was good enough to keep me warm on Pier 14 at Naval Station Norfolk in the dead of winter it passes my test.

It is an ongoing struggle with SWMBO to avoid the logos. She finds things that I "need" that have logos on them. I refuse to purchase them because of said logo. She has learned over the years that if the logo is noticeable, it's probably not going to pass. The exception is a handful of work related trade group shirts and a couple of t-shirts from charitable organizations.

This is interesting. Though there are a fair share of guys who actually prefer logos on their clothing I think there is a much greater percentage of women that do. Coach bags anyone?

I think that a big reason that logos on clothing became popular was because they displayed to others that you are wearing a high end item. Bragging rights and showing off, as it were. That's a powerful thing for people to whom it is important to impress others with their belongings.

Rolex is about the only brand that is easy to spot on me. I am a bigger guy and like the Roundtree & Yorke brand from Dillards.

I guess techinically I am a billboard since I wear company "polos" for work (Nike and company emblem). As far as for my casual and personal clothes, I try not to have huge logos, but I don't mind the small chest emblems. The newer Polo emblems shown above I find atrocious. I will say this though, Southern Tide polo shirts are some of the most comfortable shirts and fit me better than any shirt I've ever tried. So until I find an unmarked shirt I will continue to support them.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I bought a black neoprene softshell parka. Pretty nice, hood folds up into the collar, pockets in the usual places, zippered vents under the arms for 40$. I had honestly never heard of the brand and don't remember it because I tore off the tiny logo tag over the bottom of the sleeve and it's not tagged inside, just lists the size. I saw a damn near identical Patagonia for $150.00 so I was actually low balling. I have had my jacket for over a year and not so much as a frayed thread for those who like to decry some perceived deficit in quality. If it was good enough to keep me warm on Pier 14 at Naval Station Norfolk in the dead of winter it passes my test.

That's a pretty good bargain and one I usually look for. I was once married to someone who was a huge label fan and Patagonia was one that she hailed loudly (which is probably the number one reason why I have shied away from it).

My current situation (being friends with a ski shop owner) kind of ties my hands slightly. Since I have benefited from some pretty awesome deals on equipment I feel somewhat compelled to buy other things from him as well. I really don't even mind the embroidered Salomon logo on my jacket sleeve so much, but the huge Grenade logo on my ski pants annoys me (bought them at the ski hill on a particularly wet day and had to take what they had if I wanted to stay dry).

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I think that a big reason that logos on clothing became popular was because they displayed to others that you are wearing a high end item. Bragging rights and showing off, as it were. That's a powerful thing for people to whom it is important to impress others with their belongings.

I think that pretty much nails it. Yet at the same time it is a very powerful form of advertising.

I just got a Saddleback thin briefcase for my bday so I guess that has the Saddleback Leather logo embossed on it. Probably not a logo that the unwashed masses will care about :biggrin1:

Ben

Top Bottom