What's new

Found a Tweezerman brush in Harris Teeter

I've only been DE shaving for a month or so now. I thought a brush was a brush was a brush. I've been using the Shae Moisture brush from Target for the bulk of the time. However, over the weekend, I was in a local Harris Teeter and found a Tweezerman. The next day I used it and it made a huge difference. The lather, the feel, the shave, everything was different, new and so much better.

I've read good reviews on here about the Shae Moisture brush and I'm sure it has it's place in the rotation; but for now, I'll be enjoying the Tweezerman.

The Tweezerman was a game changer for me also. When SAD led to a cabinet full of badgers, boars, horsehairs and synthetics, my original Tweezerman went to my son who has used it 3 times a week since. A great example of diminishing returns - spending twice the price might get you 25% more brush. Spending 20 times the price only gets 50% better brush performance.

Yeah, I look at $150+ brushes and really have to wonder if they're really that much better than a $40 brush. Since I'm not willing to spend that kind of dough on a brush, I'll never find out. But I'm good with that! (Unless anyone wants to PIF me a Simpson! :001_cool:) Joking, totally! (Unless you have one to PIF! :001_cool:)

And it's a ton easier to get to get the swmbo to agree to a $17 brush than a $50+ one...lol

but seriously...it is.

The Tweez has a terrible handle and ok hair

It is an inexpensive badger that will perform well

If you try a $60 brush, you will never got back to a Tweez

I am not a fan of this brush and comparing it to the quality you can get from,say, whipped dog or a muhle synthetic for a little more money I don't think it is such a great bargain.
If the VDH boar was not shedding that much id call that the better brush and it comes with a soap and a bowl.
IMHO anyway...

If you try a $60 brush, you will never got back to a Tweez

I don't think that's a given. The Tweezerman has a size and scrubbiness that might appeal to somebody who doesn't get along with a more expensive, larger and softer brush. I'm just guessing, but I bet the OP didn't like the floppier nature of his Shea Moisture brush.

I'm with you on the handle, though. It's light and cheap.

I've got one Tweezerman that's seen regular use for three and a half years and it's still holding up well. Another one I got intending to PIF it had a cracked handle out of the box. I've heard of knots just popping out, and bad shedders from Tweezerman, but mine has been a trooper.

I don't think that's a given. The Tweezerman has a size and scrubbiness that might appeal to somebody who doesn't get along with a more expensive, larger and softer brush. I'm just guessing, but I bet the OP didn't like the floppier nature of his Shea Moisture brush.

I'm with you on the handle, though. It's light and cheap.

I've got one Tweezerman that's seen regular use for three and a half years and it's still holding up well. Another one I got intending to PIF it had a cracked handle out of the box. I've heard of knots just popping out, and bad shedders from Tweezerman, but mine has been a trooper.
More expensive doesnt equate to larger and softer.

I found the tweez to be floppy and not dense at all. Sure it is a step up from a Shea Moisture, but so is a loofah.

Churle79, I've read that some guys have added an O-ring to the base of the knot on those Shea Moisture brushes to stiffen 'em up. IIRC, there were others who removed the knot and reset it deeper to get the same effect, but that's a lot more involved.

Enjoy your Tweezerman. It's kind of like an open sighted Winchester Model 94 as a deer rifle...Certainly a more expensive rig like a Weatherby MarkV deluxe in a belted magnum caliber with a Leopold scope is a "better" rifle, almost a work of art, and provides the pride of ownership that only comes with the finer things in life.

In the deep woods of wet shaving, the practical difference might not be all that great, and there can be a certain satisfaction in getting results with the more basic tools.

If you're getting good results, the deer, or your beard, won't know the difference on the receiving end.

Top Bottom