What's new

Shaving Brushes: Soak, yes or no?

Thank you all for making the time to reply! Over the course of many threads I’ve picked up on key words and felt that it would be good to dedicate a thread to this topic.
It comes down to preference. General consensus is that boar brushes are the ones that are most often soaked prior to use.

Paul

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Thank you all for making the time to reply! Over the course of many threads I’ve picked up on key words and felt that it would be good to dedicate a thread to this topic.
It comes down to preference. General consensus is that boar brushes are the ones that are most often soaked prior to use.

Paul
So, after reading this all, I dug up my Semogue 1305 and will try it again. Its soaking right now....I never took a liking to boar, and still prefer badger over anything else. Just my personal choice.
So, lets see how I like this boar that was not used for maybe 10 years or so. I know there are a lot of boar lovers out there.

So, after reading this all, I dug up my Semogue 1305 and will try it again. Its soaking right now....I never took a liking to boar, and still prefer badger over anything else. Just my personal choice.
So, lets see how I like this boar that was not used for maybe 10 years or so. I know there are a lot of boar lovers out there.
Who would have thought that I would enable a master brush maker? :)
It seems no one is immune from enabling in this awesome forum!

Paul

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

Do also try it again in a few days, unsoaked. A "dry" boar can wick moisture away from the lather between passes, but it's easily added back, and I actually prefer to face lather with the drier lather "broom", than with a sodden boar brush.

Soak away. I soak them all. No issues with any brushes (badger, boar, mixed, synthetic).

I shave after I shower, so I just place the brush in a mug with warm water before I jump in the shower.

I can count on one hand, how many times I've shaved without showering first, so it doesn't cost me any extra time.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Who would have thought that I would enable a master brush maker? :)
It seems no one is immune from enabling in this awesome forum!

Paul
I actually did enjoy the shave this morning with a boar brush. I had to soak it twice as the first time I got somehow sidetracked, and when I finally got to the bathroom, the water was cold. So fresh warm water an shower and then shave. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least. Not a convert, but I will be using it from time to time now - no more free space on this tiny bathroom for any more brushes.....

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Do also try it again in a few days, unsoaked. A "dry" boar can wick moisture away from the lather between passes, but it's easily added back, and I actually prefer to face lather with the drier lather "broom", than with a sodden boar brush.
As a boar fan who habitually soaks, I’m going to try the dry. Might be a good compromise with some of my quick to splay well broken in boars. Just for kicks.

Paul
Interesting the remarks here about not needing to soak badgers. I was under the impression that badger hair required some time to absorb moisture that was helpful in creating and releasing lather. Same for boar, only more soak time required.

not sure if it's been covered, but one summer I accidentally found out that a hot/warm boar soak (while showering as well) creates a softer brush than cool/cold tap water.

badgers get soaked as well, because I like warm lather or a cool/cold day.

horse got passed on and synth is now a keyboard/whatever duster.

Top Bottom