What's new

My first brush, how’d I do?

My first shaving brush. Good choice? It feels like a good one.

IMG_3167.jpeg

I looked at a bunch of different brushes but this one made my heart skip a beat.
It was a limited edition I think but unfortunately they were sold out.
I sent Stirling a message asking if they were going to do another run and the owner of the company emailed me and said he had set a few aside in case any got lost in the mail, and that he would list them up on the website in an hour or so.
Talk about wonderful customer service!

I’m new to traditional shaving and shaving brushes but I’m not new to brushes in general. I paint and use/have used synthetics, hog, sable, badger, horse, etc. Hog Is my favorite fiber. I also use a boar bristle hair & beard brush (I have coarse, thick curly hair).
I love the scratchy nature of hog bristles!
I’ve watched a few videos on different methods of conditioning them but I think I’ll just give it a good warm water soak & rinse and then start using it. It should break just fine over time with normal use, right?

That looks like a very nice boar brush you got there. You can use it as it is if you do not mind the scritch. It will break in with use. However. Many break them in by soaking them in warm water for a number of hours and then towel stropping them for a few minutes and than repeating that process until sufficiently broken in. When you soak it just don't soak the base of the brush. Just the bristles.

These kinds of brushes, similar to many Omega and Semogue models, always hit the sweet spot between being well made and also being cheap to acquire and enjoy for many years.

It is these kinds of brushes men would likely have bought in 1950's drugstores when looking for a new brush.

I think you've made an excellent choice!

My first shaving brush. Good choice? It feels like a good one.

View attachment 1790789

I looked at a bunch of different brushes but this one made my heart skip a beat.
It was a limited edition I think but unfortunately they were sold out.
I sent Stirling a message asking if they were going to do another run and the owner of the company emailed me and said he had set a few aside in case any got lost in the mail, and that he would list them up on the website in an hour or so.
Talk about wonderful customer service!

I’m new to traditional shaving and shaving brushes but I’m not new to brushes in general. I paint and use/have used synthetics, hog, sable, badger, horse, etc. Hog Is my favorite fiber. I also use a boar bristle hair & beard brush (I have coarse, thick curly hair).
I love the scratchy nature of hog bristles!
I’ve watched a few videos on different methods of conditioning them but I think I’ll just give it a good warm water soak & rinse and then start using it. It should break just fine over time with normal use, right?
I see you just joined B&B a week ago, welcome! That is a very nice brush that I believe is made by Zenith, a well regarded brush manufacturer. One of my three brushes is also a Zenith 80N boar (rebranded Razorock Blondie brush with a different 26x63mm knot ) that has worked well for me over the past couple of years. Believe the Stirling Zenith brushes like yours come a nice resin handle versus the standard plastic handle that make them more worth the price so enjoy and yes it will break in over time.

If you are a daily shave you may want to consider a second brush as my Zenith boar takes two days to fully dry. In my case I've two synthetics in addition to the boar. Once you start using your new brush you can decide if you want another boar or prefer to try a different kind of knot like synthetic or badger.

For years I used a Brush I bought off EBay, it worked. Recently bought a boar Omega. It too was price point under $10.00.

Brush don’t have to be expensive to work for you.

Lots of nice Brushes under $20.00 - $30.00.

I see you just joined B&B a week ago, welcome! That is a very nice brush that I believe is made by Zenith, a well regarded brush manufacturer. One of my three brushes is also a Zenith 80N boar (rebranded Razorock Blondie brush with a different 26x63mm knot ) that has worked well for me over the past couple of years. Believe the Stirling Zenith brushes like yours come a nice resin handle versus the standard plastic handle that make them more worth the price so enjoy and yes it will break in over time.

If you are a daily shave you may want to consider a second brush as my Zenith boar takes two days to fully dry. In my case I've two synthetics in addition to the boar. Once you start using your new brush you can decide if you want another boar or prefer to try a different kind of knot like synthetic or badger.

Yes the handle is a thick, heavy resin handle. Also, it’s hard to tell from the pictures but that yellow logo is actually inlaid (I think that’s the right term) and is yellow resin swirls, like a bowling ball logo or something.

It seemed nice but I didn’t have anything to compare it to. I also bought a Semogue Boar brush and that’s when I realized how much higher quality hair and handle the Zenith/Stirling has.
It’s also a really thick knot. So thick it doesn’t fit in one of those metal brush holders.

And yes, it definitely takes a while to dry!

Yes the handle is a thick, heavy resin handle. Also, it’s hard to tell from the pictures but that yellow logo is actually inlaid (I think that’s the right term) and is yellow resin swirls, like a bowling ball logo or something.

It seemed nice but I didn’t have anything to compare it to. I also bought a Semogue Boar brush and that’s when I realized how much higher quality hair and handle the Zenith/Stirling has.
It’s also a really thick knot. So thick it doesn’t fit in one of those metal brush holders.

With two good brushes from quality manufacturers you are all set with the basics for great lather for your shaves. Enjoy!

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks

The handle is massive! I freed a knot from the biggest of these and set it for a customer into a new handle of his liking. The brushes weighed in at over 5 oz!! The resin is heavy and solid, seems to be a good quality. Don't want to drop this on your foot or the sink.

That's a fine looking bore brush!
Congratulations 👏🎉
No other brush can better scrape your face hairs!
This is a keeper for sure!
I personally use an Omega boar brush, very similar to this construct. Lathers quickly, massaging the follicles and helps to avoid ingrown hairs.

@Proper Irish
I have close to a dozen lathers/shaves on mine and I can tell you it's a terrific brush.
Zenith's seem to be the best Out of the Box option given their bleaching method which not only defunks the bristle, but also serves to soften the tips and accelerates the break-in.

As @Rudy Vey attested, the handle is robust indeed 🍻

I also bought a Semogue Boar brush and that’s when I realized how much higher quality hair and handle the Zenith/Stirling has.

There is a fairly wide disparity in bristle quality in Omegas and Semogues; nothing bad between them but there is a range...
For example the 830 is a high quality knot, but you'd be contrasting a 23mm knot against this at 26mm - not to mention a tiny handle in comparison

Which Semogue are you comparing to? The SOC would be comparable

Last edited:
Top Bottom