What's new

I hate synthetic brushes

I absolutely love my fake...man made...brushes!
Always reaching for that glorious RR 400!

1708381498658.png

I am entirely with you on this one. Well, "hate" is a strong word, but synthetics really hold no appeal for me, whatsoever.
For one thing, Planet Earth does not need yet more plastic. Instead, using natural materials much better aligns with contemporary environmental concerns. Truth told, this is not an aspect that really looms large in my mind on a daily basis, but as far as political correctness goes, environmental concerns seem to me of more significance than so-called "animals' rights".
What's more important for me as far as shaving goes, is aesthetics. This is something like the heart and soul of traditional wet-shaving. Synthetic shaving brushes are a bit like plastic Christmas trees on this account, they hold no aesthetic appeal at all, they are rather like a caricature, a slightly grotesque imitation of the real thing. For the same reason, I want a new shaving brush to smell like a wet dog, just like I want my Christmas tree to smell like pine, it accentuates my indulgence in tradition.
And last, but certainly not least, I simply think badgers and boars perform better as tools for the job. They simply whip up better lather, and feel better on the face.
And yes, boars and badgers will also get ruined more easily than synthetics if you don't take proper care of them (dry them out), they require a little more mindfulness, but heck, that's part of the skill that makes traditional wetshaving worth while, part of the beauty of the tradition.
The only thing I can think of saying in favor of synthetics is in terms of price perhaps, Though, boars are pretty hard to beat on that parameter ... But if you want something that looks (a bit) like a badger, for much cheaper than the real thing .... hmmm...
But as a travel brush then. If you want a brush that can really take some abuse in a backpack while on the road (if you want to bring a shaving brush on that kind of trip at all), a synthetic might be your best friend. Sure.
So, there you have it.

Last edited:
I have a total of 3(gasp of horror) brushes.
My first brush was a Simpson s1 pure badger. It had a habit of going limp if soaked, and generating a fair amount of soap bubbles in a bowl lather.
I bought a Maggard Razor Tuxedo as a cheap travel brush. It was so much better that the Simpson is hiding in the closet. It generated soft peaks in the shaving soap.
Then I bought a Muhle Silvertip Fibre. It can whip soap to stiff peaks. In the last year, it's lost 1 fiber.
The Tuxedo is back to the dop kit. Shave, rinse, shake, and wrap in a towel for a couple minutes and it's ready to pack

I simply think badgers and boars perform better as tools for the job. They simply whip up better lather, and feel better on the face.
So you just "think" this or have you ever done a side by side comparison of let's say a Mühle STF and any natural hair brush? I have and that was years ago. I never looked back.

Furthermore I don't have to proof anything to anyone so just sticking with naturals because they're supposedly the "the heart and soul of traditional wet-shaving" like you say, makes no sense. They're not. My opinion? They're outdated tools that have been superseded by something far better. YMMV.

Last edited:
I am entirely with you on this one. Well, "hate" is a strong word, but synthetics really hold no appeal for me, whatsoever.
For one thing, Planet Earth does not need yet more plastic. Instead, using natural materials much better aligns with contemporary environmental concerns. Truth told, this is not an aspect that really looms large in my mind on a daily basis, but as far as political correctness goes, environmental concerns seem to me of more significance than so-called "animals' rights".
What's more important for me as far as shaving goes, is aesthetics. This is something like the heart and soul of traditional wet-shaving. Synthetic shaving brushes are a bit like plastic Christmas trees on this account, they hold no aesthetic appeal at all, they are rather like a caricature, a slightly grotesque imitation of the real thing. For the same reason, I want a new shaving brush to smell like a wet dog, just like I want my Christmas tree to smell like pine, it accentuates my indulgence in tradition.
And last, but certainly not least, I simply think badgers and boars perform better as tools for the job. They simply whip up better lather, and feel better on the face.
And yes, boars and badgers will also get ruined more easily than synthetics if you don't take proper care of them (dry them out), they require a little more mindfulness, but heck, that's part of the skill that makes traditional wetshaving worth while, part of the beauty of the tradition.
The only thing I can think of saying in favor of synthetics is in terms of price perhaps, Though, boars are pretty hard to beat on that parameter ... But if you want something that looks (a bit) like a badger, for much cheaper than the real thing .... hmmm...
But as a travel brush then. If you want a brush that can really take some abuse in a backpack while on the road (if you want to bring a shaving brush on that kind of trip at all), a synthetic might be your best friend. Sure.
So, there you have it.
Very well said.

So you just "think" this or have you ever done a side by side comparison of let's say a Mühle STF and any natural hair brush? I have and that was years ago. I never looked back.

Furthermore I don't have to proof anything to anyone so just sticking with naturals because they're supposedly the "the heart and soul of traditional wet-shaving" like you say, makes no sense. They're not. My opinion? They're outdated tools that have been superseded by something far better. YMMV.
Yes you’re correct they have been superseded by something far superior😜 this no brush needed🤣

Attachments

• IMG_8013.jpeg
    IMG_8013.jpeg
    359.2 KB · Views: 1
Yes you’re correct they have been superseded by something far superior😜 this no brush needed🤣
Correct. Another shaving myth and internet BS:

"canned foam can never be as good as a brush and soap" (or something along those lines).

When used properly, many canned foams apart from the really low end cheap stuff, work just just fine. Better in fact than many products created for use with a brush.

Since I'm not in th US, I have no access to Barbasol. I do know that brushless Barbasol products have been around in some form or another for 100 years or so. And many millions of American men grew up using only Barbasol for their daily shaves.

Synthetic brushes work just fine. Foam works just fine. Don't make it look as if the many millions who use these products are somehow uneducated fools for using these products.

I put that up as satire just for the reason that you mentioned. It was early 2000s when I discovered proaso, Taylor of old bond street, and many other nice things like a badger brush. Only because of traveling and working in Europe and the Near East. When Amazon was only selling books online. So my sources were limited. Now it’s a wide open world of possibilities. I still love my Barbersol. It’s what I started with circa 1984.

I put that up as satire just for the reason that you mentioned. It was early 2000s when I discovered proaso, Taylor of old bond street, and many other nice things like a badger brush. Only because of traveling and working in Europe and the Near East. When Amazon was only selling books online. So my sources were limited. Now it’s a wide open world of possibilities. I still love my Barbersol. It’s what I started with circa 1984.
Ok, sometimes words can be misinterpreted I guess. But that doesn't change my opinion on synthetic brushes and shaving foams 😉

I prefer warm, dense lather, which I haven't found the few times I've tried canned foam. But hey, we're all free to choose what we prefer. :001_smile

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Well, I've used the best synths currently available other than the Wald brushes. There have been several posts since I've been on B&B that suggest synths should be a separate category entirely and that comparing them to badgers and boars does a disservice to the community. They are different.

Brushes were my first concern when I joined B&B. I had one synth brush and I wanted to find something equal or better. I followed the advice from random people in the beginning and ended up with a bunch of inexpensive synth brushes that didn't suit me.... at all. I liked the G4 ESC Ultimate I got at the beginning. After some time, I found 3 synth brushes I liked.. The Omega Evo Original, a Rudy Vey STF and a Face Book group buy G5"D" from Alpha Shaving. Tastes change... that first ESC Ultimate G4 was reknotted by Rudy Vey with a ShaveMac 26mm Two-band Silvertip... Much, much better for me.

In a parallel path, I started trying natural bristle brushes. I met Jim / @Chan Eil Whiskers and a few of his friends here. It turned out, I like the same face feel he does. As a result, I now rotate 5 badger brushes and have two others I throw in every so often, all recommended by Jim.

The best synths are too soft for me.... and when a synth tries to duplicate what I feel with my favorite two-band badgers, they feel pokey to me. I doubt I'd enjoy the softness of the 3 band badger silvertips for the same reason.... too soft. Brushes are odd.. totally subjective. With razors, you get the shave you want or you don't. They are subjective to some degree. With brushes... in my limited experience... they all make lather.. but the face feel is completely subjective. What I like, you might hate.

I prefer warm, dense lather, which I haven't found the few times I've tried canned foam. But hey, we're all free to choose what we prefer. :001_smile
I seem to remember a canned foam that you put hot water in so it delivered hot foam. Barber shops back then had machines that did the same trick, just upscaled.

Maybe I just have had too cheap of badger brushes but I don’t care for how limp they get and don’t stand up when wet or lathered. I much prefer the synthetics I currently have 2 maggard synthetics that are very low priced and fit my needs perfectly.

Top Bottom