What's new

Birthday Brush

Good morning. It is time for a new brush. I have been using my every day for 20 + years and it is still in great shape but it’s time for a friend. I cannot believe that I am going to admit that I have never used a badger brush of any kind. I have a mixed Grosvenor.

I probably have owned every brush, except Simpson, maybe intentionally.

But I am deciding to give in and reward myself. I found a new razor, which I’m totally in love with, the Henson that’s a little more aggressive. I actually prefer a lighter razor and I have been getting great shaves.

It is down to the Duke 3 and the Chubby 2. I am a face latherer so I am still studying. I had an SOC boar which my brother used to use when he was alive (I gifted it) as I didn’t like it and I have a Vulfix Grosvenor that I have used for the bulk of my shaves since 2000 if not earlier. I suppose it’s a good problem, but I’m five days into this and and if I am correct, this one will take me another 20+ years till I’m about 80. Thank you for listening. It’s been a long time since I’ve been here.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Hi, many congratulations on your birthday, I wish you many more. I own both of these brushes and am also a face latherer. Be aware that the Chubby 2 is much larger than the Duke 3, both are great brushes - for me the Duke 3 is the best brush I have ever tried. The Chubby 2 is excellent for occasional use but for my taste it is a bit too big for daily use and takes an age to dry, especially in cooler weather. The Duke 3 is very similar in size to the Chubby 1 but many find the Duke 3 handle more managable. Good luck 👍

20230925_105757~2.jpg

20230925_105807~2.jpg

It sounds like I came up with the wrong data. This should be about a Duke and Chubby 1. The one thing that I do know is I like to be around 95 mm and while I like everything even I prefer a higher loft to a higher handle. Thank you everybody so far for letting me drive you crazy now I know what I haven’t done this in over 20 years I’m not quite 60 but I’m getting my 60th birthday brush in advance.

Hi again folks with this new information took three chubby one what would be a couple of pros and cons it’s getting time to pull the trigger. I don’t think I can go wrong either way, lifelong what shaver face latherer

OK and thank you. Based on math and perceived versatility, plus handle size, I still have not made a decision but well.

Instead of supporting some giant delivery service, do we have a Shave Store that is a sponsor that I can give the business too?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
OK and thank you. Based on math and perceived versatility, plus handle size, I still have not made a decision but well.

Instead of supporting some giant delivery service, do we have a Shave Store that is a sponsor that I can give the business too?

Paladin Shaving or Rudy Vey. Both are vendors here both are excellent brush makers. Take your pick or better yet 1 from each. I’ve got a couple from each. Pretty much only brushes I used when I wash shaving. I’m bearded now.

Great suggestions above!

FWISW I have 4 brushes from Rudy Vey (all with Shavemac 2-band knots). I also have the following Simpsons: Duke 2 best, Tulip 2 and 3 in super, Chubby 1 best, 57 best, and a Wee Scot: NONE of these will leave the den!

I have had many other brushes over the years, but these are favorites (along with a few Shavemac options)! :a29::a29::a29:

I love the private brushes and have a few but I don’t have any Simpson’s, so I’m specifically looking for the Simpson and now the Duke three. The stores that I looked at, including Simpson were a lot more expensive. Do we have a sponsor or two maybe that handle Simpson it appears it it’s like 109 for a duke three

OK I am completely out of my mind so I have devised the following plan. I don’t have one brush now. Just one daily driver. So why do I have to buy only one brush. So the chubby one is coming first, for the holidays as I like to attach the meaning I will get the Duke three or a Rudy, and then when everything has been completed with Medicare annual enrollment, I will get the last brush. It seems easier than torturing myself. They are all popular and if for some reason, I hate some thing I’ll know immediately and somebody will get something. That’s basically brand new in box. Thank you for putting up with the insanity.

EverythingzzI looked at that says Rudy Vey sends me to all websites with his brushes, the people selling a brush or to another store. Is there a way to go directly to him that anybody knows…if it can’t be posted I’ll gladly accept an instant message and thank you very much for your patience.

I am actually now thinking about getting them both and breaking them both in together. And no I am the furthest thing from wealthy. I just got a problem with a few hobbies.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
EverythingzzI looked at that says Rudy Vey sends me to all websites with his brushes, the people selling a brush or to another store. Is there a way to go directly to him that anybody knows…if it can’t be posted I’ll gladly accept an instant message and thank you very much for your patience.
If you want to contact Rudy then send him a private message - @Rudy Vey is a member here on B&B. Alternatively, this is his website: Ultimate Pen Designs - Home - http://www.ultimatependesigns.com/

wonderful just wonderful. I write with a fountain pen I have never had a custom fountain pen. Decide is gonna kill me. I just got everything in order.

Now I find out that I can get rid of these ridiculous ads and contribute on my own instead, so that was good news. I’m horrible at navigating stuff so I appreciate the help.

Oh, my God, there’s more. Moredecisions to make?

I’m starting to think I’m going to list my criteria and let you good folks pick out the finished product. Oy.

Top Bottom