What's new

The Healing Power of Tobacco

I had the opportunity to spend some time last week with my son, who is recovering from wounds received in Afghanistan at the Warrior Transition Battalion at Fort Bliss, TX. He's a 19-year-old, combat engineer that was on a route clearance team when his vehicle hit an improvised explosive device. He started smoking cigars before his deployment with some of the members on his team when they got back from a mission and got me back into cigars when he visited prior to his deployment. When he first got back to the states, my wife and I went to visit and I noticed how smoking cigars seemed to calm him and open the door for conversation.

Since I am getting ready to go back overseas for a year, I decided to see him again. I've started smoking a pipe since I saw him last and took some pipes and a couple of kinds of tobacco with me. He was very interested and is now a confirmed pipe smoker. We had some very enjoyable times with both pipes and cigars. We ran across a Savinelli advertisement that said, "You smoke a cigarrette, enjoy a cigar, but savor a pipe."

Speaking of cigars, I wanted to recognize a completely selfless individual. In the second picture, on the far right, is a gentleman named Paul. Paul works at the Army Hospital, but in my book his real claim to fame is the cigar club that he's sponsored at the Warrior Transition Battalion for the past three years. He not only provides cigars, but also brings hot dogs and sodas. Paul said when he first started the club, he noticed how the act of smoking cigars facilitated conversation. Paul and I watched and listened as my son and the other young man recounted their experiences in a combat zone; good and bad. I'm pretty sure that was better than talking to a therapist. In fact the one young man commented that cigar club was the main thing he looked forward to each week. To give you an idea of what a great human being Paul is, I offered to contribute some cigars, but he insisted that this is something he wants to do himself.

I would also like to recognize some of the members on this forum, jmallan 5, BigAlum, and hotreds for sending cigars (including some Cubans), pipe tobacco, and pipes.

The first picture is my son and myself. He's smoking a Dr. Grabow Duke and I have a Savinelli Oscar.

Just remeber the next time someone says something stupid about how smoking is bad for you, that's not always the case. For guys like my son it's a much healthier alternative to some of the other things they might turn to in dealing with things.

Attachments

• $Cigar time 001.jpg
    $Cigar time 001.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 178
  • $Cigar time 002.jpg
    $Cigar time 002.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 179
Tell your son how much we all appreciate his service. My son is USAF, Red Horse Sqdrn.., which is their version of combat engineers, and he is scheduled to go to Afghanistan this summer. I'm not very religious, but I pray for all of our troops every day.

Thanks for sharing that with us, adn thank you both for your service. Me being active duty Navy now all about the trials and challenges to individuals and family. God be with you both.
Korey

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Andrew:
What a touching, awesome and powerful story and I'm glad your Son is recovering well from his battle wounds. :thumbsup:

Thank You both or your Service!!!!
proxy.php
"You will never know the true nature of your nationality, until your Nation calls you to Serve". CBJ

I myself am of the opinion that smoking cigars (and the nicotine within), have the power to settle ragged nerves, to calm and heal the troubled breast and heart (I believe some of my best thoughts / writings is attributed to the Habano). I also feel that persons (me included), with responsibility and of concerns beyond the scope of normality, can aways take solace in the quieting effects of the cigar.

In my life, I've been through some 'rough patches' (haven't we all), and found that only in cigars (in joining tobacco to flame), I am fully relaxed, my soul is 'soothed' and I am at peace!!!

Again...a wonderful story about the 'power' of Cigars. :lol1:

May God Bless & Keep both of You!!!

proxy.php
"A cigar is as good as [the] memories that you have when you smoked it". Raul Julia

Last edited:
Wonderful! I Know for a FACT that cigars help many, many troopers relax in the sandboxes far away from home. And, happily, they continue to help those that have returned home. When you're back in the sandbox be sure to PM me with your APO and we'll get you on the support list!

You should be very proud, as it's clear to me you've raised an amazing individual. I could not agree more about the benefits of moderate tobacco use; I'm a pipe smoker and it's a beautiful thing!

Cheers,

Joseph

Thanks for the awesome read, sir. My sincere and heartfelt thanks to both you and your son for your service. I completely agree that there is some "magic" effect of tobacco that soothes the soul. I think Einstein said it best; "“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs." Can't argue with a genius.

Great story!

I think the social aspect of smoking comes from the factors of smoking and not the act itself. For instance, before I smoke a pipe or hookah I am already in a state of calmness and want to enjoy the smoke, this calmness precedes the act. So, I am more open to ideas and discussion because of my state before I smoke. Over time one may begin to link this calmness to the smoking itself, so the act becomes a catalyst to the feeling. I guess it's all good though, as long as you acknowledge that fact.

Another point is that if you are smoking, say cigars, with someone. This usually means that you are friendly to begin with. The act just gives you another point at which you connect.

Whatever works, YMMV.

Thank you for sharing your story , and the best to you and your son. I am inspired by Paul as well, what a great thing to do...

Top Bottom