What's new

Acquisition Disorder is good - DE shaving is good - Newbie to board is good

I got interested in going back to DE shaving (grew up with it and did it until I joined the service and went to cartridges). Now I'm retired and decided to venture forth. Like most things I first jump into, I do it in spades. I purchased several older Tech razors from eBay - one was a Gold Tech that had worn through the plate in many places and had a corroded handle. $5 and it was mine. I cleaned it up, buffed it out (taking most of the gold off in the process) and started using it. It is a very mild razor but one that builds confidence like crazy. I just shaved with it this morning and I had to make three passes and touch-up but the shave is great and no nicks (Personna Stainless). I also shave my head and it is perfect for that.

And then got dangerous - got a couple of Merkurs. Then got another. Three brushes (one for traveling, one very good one that I haven't even touched, one that I use). Made some soap. Bought some soap. Got a couple of shaving bowls (there is a great 'bowl' at Wal-Mart used for serving food. The 'bowl' is like a big spoon with a channel down the handle into the bowl. It is all ceramic, heavy, and is more like a ceramic hand. A bit of melted soap in the center and it is ready to go for many shaves. The brush sits in the channel and drains easily. I like it a lot.

Then I visited L'Occitane.

Then I found this place.

I say all that to say this: Is there an injection I can take to stop my disease?

In any case - thanks to the old timers for all the information. I am thoroughly enjoying fine shaves - I'm finally spending as much time getting ready in the morning as my wife does.

The picture below is of my inexpensive razor, the 'bowl' and a Merkur Brush that I haven't used. ;-}

Attachments

• $shavings.JPG
    $shavings.JPG
    237.6 KB · Views: 103
Welcome to B&B. DE shaving = good. I loved the newbie forums when I started DE shaving. I still love it but do not spend that much time on it any more. I have to disagree with you about acquisition disorder though. I have had razor acquisition disorder for a while. During this time I have spent a lot of money on both DE and straight razors. Therefore I have to disagree with you about RAD.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Greetings
proxy.php
ladykate from Nebraska (Yeah Baby!!!).

Welcome aboard the B & B (besides being enrolled in the fictional, sacred and utopian Order of Shavedom). Please feel free to come up to the promenade / sun deck & 'sit-a-spell'.

Sounds like your off to a great start (good riddance to those 'crappy' carts), and yes,...this Forum has the knowledge, ideas, and alround 'know-how' to assist in your Wet-Shaving experience. In a nut-shell...your 'gonna' love it here.

Although, you may not be additted just yet (I think I'm holding up fairly well...with a few exceptions), because we all suffer (gladly and are doomed perhaps), from this shaving complusion (and other Acquisition Disorders), because at times..."Resistance is futile".
proxy.php

"Lead us not into temptation. Just tell us where it is; we'll find it". Sam Levenson

Please don't forget once you get time....to tell us a little about yourself in the Hall of Fame sub-forum.

proxy.php
"Don't worry about the [cuts, weepers and] nicks and pick up your life...forget all the bad things, the pain and the strife". Author Unknown

I understand what you said, ladykate. I believe I'm developing Acquisition Disorder too. Let's see how long I can hold off myself before buying a new DE razor and shaving cream/soap. ; )

RAD has become a huge problem for me. If I buy one more razor before I purchase my FIRST X-mas gift for my immediate family I am going to need a professional intervention! How can I make this stop!?!?!

RAD has become a huge problem for me. If I buy one more razor before I purchase my FIRST X-mas gift for my immediate family I am going to need a professional intervention! How can I make this stop!?!?!

For me, just looking at my credit card spending on the 'shaving stuff' alone is enough to cure my RAD - at least for a while. But I'm just having an early symtom, so your milage may vary. ; )

Congrats and salut!

What a great photo! There's almost century of shaving from the razor to the brush!

Love the idea of the spoon rest/ladle service as a mini-puck holder. Delightful!

My experience is similar to yours. Got back into DE about a year ago after fifteen or twenty years away.
The five blade cartridges were just too much for me, and I bought a Merkur 180, and a second for travel, along with two wood silvertips and a silvertip for travel.
All was well, until I spotted my Dad's Superspeed while visiting my Mom this summer. Dad had given up DE shaving forty years before he died, and this razor was just waiting for me.
I slapped an Atra in, and couldn't believe the difference. I felt like I had gone from a chain saw to a true surgical tool.

Now, RAD has kicked in big time, and I have, I think, a razor from the twenties, thirties, and forties, and keep trolling for more.
It was amazing to discover how many vintage pieces were out that there that had never been used, and were in mint or near-mint condition.

Now I understand the warning: Resistance is futile.
Happy shaving from a fellow Noobie.

Top Bottom