What's new

Let's see those SE razors

Here's my latest 1912 Damaskeene. I've been keeping an eye out for one with the handle that would accept a stropping device and I stumbed onto this cased, excellent condition specimen for $10. As a bonus, in the blade case was four vintage blades still in their wrappers, one Treet and three Gems.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Stumbled upon a GEM Contour. My first SE. Shaved w/ it first time tonight. It's great! I wonder why it's so relatively rare..

As far as I can tell, this is the Rolls Royce of SE razors. Heavy, quality fit and finish and great shave. It seems that my case is a bit different from Shanman's.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is the same exact model as the first two shots of mine above. Cool little sets aren't they? I'd like to give the stripper a go on some NOS Corrux blades and see how it goes.

I think it is the same exact model as the first two shots of mine above. Cool little sets aren't they? I'd like to give the stripper a go on some NOS Corrux blades and see how it goes.

Good question as to whether they're the same, I think they probably are. I do know however that I have seen pictures of these razors that led me to think that there are possibly two different models with very very slight differences between them. I have two of these sets and mine happen to be identical.

The stropper works great. I've used it with GEM Stainless blades. The trick to using it is to hook the loop around something, hold the strop by the end, pull it tight, and move the stropper back and forth slowly enough that the blade flips over each time you change direction. If you go too quick, the blade won't flip and you'll cut the strop. I did that once, but was lucky enough to find a NOS strop to replace the one I cut. Try to hold the strop tightly enough that it's more or less flat. If it curves too much you'll create a hook on the blade edge.

Haiku, you are probably thinking of my study in the streamline razor here:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...Streamline-Differences-(Pic-Heavy)?highlight=

I have 3 sets of the Streamline, 2 have strops, 1 of which is NOS. I also have the single razor as pictured in my earlier thread. I have never seen that 2nd case before and I have seen a lot of them. That is really nice, Shanman.

Actually, I somehow don't think I saw your study, but I am just delighted that you posted a link to it, Thanks! What a great thread you started.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Heres my only collectible razor I have that isnt shaved with. Since going to straights my safety razor ADs are in hibernation, but I still have a soft spot for my SE's.

This is an open comb 1912 Damaskeene with stropping device. The handle is hollow, so its a little light. There are 6 Damaskeene blades in the holder, only one or 2 apparently used. The others seem new. So I have to assume this was used very sparingly.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Gorgeous Damaskeene's gentlemen, splendid!

The stropper works great. I've used it with GEM Stainless blades. The trick to using it is to hook the loop around something, hold the strop by the end, pull it tight, and move the stropper back and forth slowly enough that the blade flips over each time you change direction. If you go too quick, the blade won't flip and you'll cut the strop. I did that once, but was lucky enough to find a NOS strop to replace the one I cut. Try to hold the strop tightly enough that it's more or less flat. If it curves too much you'll create a hook on the blade edge.

Thanks for the tips Haiku!

I have 3 sets of the Streamline, 2 have strops, 1 of which is NOS. I also have the single razor as pictured in my earlier thread. I have never seen that 2nd case before and I have seen a lot of them. That is really nice, Shanman.

Thanks, and we appreciate the Streamline resource you started, I have referred to it many times.

Last edited:
P

Pjotr

Heres my only collectible razor I have that isnt shaved with. Since going to straights my safety razor ADs are in hibernation, but I still have a soft spot for my SE's.

This is an open comb 1912 Damaskeene with stropping device. The handle is hollow, so its a little light. There are 6 Damaskeene blades in the holder, only one or 2 apparently used. The others seem new. So I have to assume this was used very sparingly........

Don't let HoosierTrooper know where you live! Oops too late, it's Honolulu.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Oh, I know where he lives. I know exactly where he lives. That is one gorgeous Damaskeene set.

LOL:lol:

I didn't want to post pics of that razor after reading Tom's post, but now you guys know what to buy him for Christmas...

Tom, I promise you'll get first crack at it if I ever liquidate. BTW the generosity you showed me with that side cover is what got me hooked on being part of B&B in the first place.

LOL:lol:

I didn't want to post pics of that razor after reading Tom's post, but now you guys know what to buy him for Christmas...

Tom, I promise you'll get first crack at it if I ever liquidate. BTW the generosity you showed me with that side cover is what got me hooked on being part of B&B in the first place.

I can't imagine parting with a set like that...

P

Pjotr

I can't imagine parting with a set like that...

So Kentos, when a weird looking dude with a beard, a Stars and Stripes bandana and bizarre black rimmed spectacles turns up at your door you better start imagining parting with it.

A bump to a great thread with one of my sets that I left out:

$IMG_3710.jpg

Bunch of these sets - Streamlines, etc - came up on ebay and this is the one I snagged. Satisfies my urge for a Streamline set, but is cheaper.

Very dark, goes with my Mahoganite sets.

-jim

Top Bottom