What's new

Just a stupid question....

I'm curious: if animals such as ducks and seals developed the ability to repel or resist water, why would badgers evolve with hair that soaks up water so well? As I said, kind of a stupid rumination, but there you are. Creationists needn't bother to answer.

All hairs absorb water to some degree, the question is why did ducks and seals evolve such that their hairs DON'T absorb as much. The answer being that they live in water, of course.

I'm a long way from any kind of biology class, but seem to recall that Ducks and Seals both have thick layers of subcutaneous fat that insulates them in the water.

Additionally Duck's, like all water fowl have a thick layer of oily down which provides which doesn't allow much water to actually touch the flesh. Seal's I beieve have thick fur which as the characteristic of being hollow, creating an air pocket in each bristle.

This still begs the question why is badger hair more absorbent?

I've seen articles about wool that explain how sheep fleece absorbs water, holding it within the hair. Once the animal warms up that moisture, it makes a terrific insulator against the cold. Supposedly, wool can keep you warm even if wet. (YMMV)

Seals use a layer of fat as insulation against cold water, no need to retain the water. A slick surface (not water absorbent) allows them to swim quickly through the water.

Ducks, birds, cannot afford the weight of water if they are to keep flying. So it must be repelled. Feathers with very light oil do the trick.

Badger hair repells water- it's held in the brush by the water's tendency to "stick" to itself.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that part of the reason they evovled this is because they spend most of their time underground. Not sure why it would matter, but that's what I've always thought.

I've seen articles about wool that explain how sheep fleece absorbs water, holding it within the hair. Once the animal warms up that moisture, it makes a terrific insulator against the cold.

The same principle applies to neoprene wetsuits which work by trapping a layer of water which the body warms up.

I've noticed when stripping off a neoprene wetsuit how the water released is quite warm.

Top Bottom