What's new

Why did you start wet-shaving?

If you are still using that razor, an EJ89 will change your life again.

I was very generously PIF'd a nice Gilette Z3 Super Speed that I absolutely adore, and I have a couple of shavettes and straights. I haven't used the Sally's chinese special since. I've thought of PIFing if, but don't want to subject anyone to it's subpar quality, though it is definitely better than nothing.

I've always enjoyed being clean-shaven, but the ingrown hairs were always too much to handle. So for the past 10 years or so, I've only trimmed my facial hair with clippers of some sort. I finally broke down and bought an old Gillette DE razor and committed to shaving like a grown man for a few months to see if I could do it without ingrowns.

I was wandering around a local mall this past summer (2013) and saw an Art of Shaving store. I couldn't believe some of the scents that I smelled and I came walking out with a Merkur razor (47C), and some travel size containers of pre shave oil, Sandalwood cream, and Sandalwood balm. I paid way too much for the hardware, but I find the software to be first rate.

Anyway, I've had some sort of AD since.

I've always wet shaved because i hated the advertising campaigns for multi bladed razors, which are such marketing rubbish!

I was a cartridge shaver from day 1 (with a short electric phase in my early 40's). I was never happy with shaving because it was always a chore that I had to do in the morning and tried to get through as quickly as possible. While discussing the ridiculous cost of cartridges with a friend I asked what he used. He told me he used a DE safety razor and it was awesome. I was very surprised and skeptical, but I looked into it a bit. I read the article and watched the video on artofmanliness.com, then found this site. I asked for a razor and brush for Christmas and after one shave I was hooked. I'm just disappointed it took me this long to discover the joys of DE wet shaving. The lure of cheap blades is there, but I now know (and don't care!) that I really won't save any money. The enjoyment I get from shaving is priceless compared to the old cartridge/foam-in-a-can days.

Cheers!
K

I think it all started when I ran across the Art of Manliness website which reminded me that I don't feel as manly as I should. I started to get an interested in doing things the way a man should. Later, I began remembering seeing my dad's old shave mug, puck of soap, and shave brush sitting on the bathroom counter. I became interested in making my own lather the old fashioned way, because it's manly, instead of blue gel from a can. So, I started researching it which linked me back to the art of manliness website. Still hadn't made the dive yet but I began noticing shave soap and brushes. So, I did more research on it and became really interested. Watched a few videos and knew I had to have it. So, I bought a VDH kit which contained an apothecary mug, luxury soap, boar brush, and a stand. Bought it and then began watching videos on how to make lather. Those videos led me to DE razors. Research of DE razors led me to this site. The rest is history.

I started because I thought the concept of working up a lather was neat and the Crabtree and Evelyn was going out of business at my local mall so I scored a deal on the brush and some soap. After getting disappointing results with the tiny bowl the soap came in I stumbled across Mantic and the videos on how to lather properly. Which led me to here and a PIF for my first (and only) DE razor. Looking to potentially open the checkbook a little but keep pulling back not wanting to end up with something I won't like. But the shaves keep improving and I can say I truly enjoy my morning routine now.

Save money and improve complexion. I improved complexion, definitely haven't saved money. ; ). It's been worth it.

I was buying a luxury Mach 3 handle for my father for Christmas and I noticed on the same site expensive shaving sets with double edged razors and wondered why people would pay so much for them. Research on that subject lead me here

I was looking for a burger recipe and found one on the art of manliness then I stumbled on their wet shave article, it was a great mistake haha, I've been enjoying wet shaving for about 10 months now

Every time I had to buy cartridges I thought there has to be cheaper way. Another message board had a thread on DE safety razors and the seed was planted. I did some research, found this site and got a starter kit this year.

I got into wet shaving with a DE safety razor after my wife bought me a Merkur DE razor back around 2002. Before that I used a Mach 3 and suffered from ingrown hairs and razor bumps quite a bit. My wife had done some research on shaving and read that DE safety razors can often help alleviate those conditions, so she got me the aforementioned Merkur and a pack of Merkur blades.

It took me a while to get my techniques down (cut myself quite a bit at first!) but now not only do I hardly ever get razor bumps or ingrown hairs, but I actually enjoy the entire shaving process and my "shaving arsenal" is one of my most prized possessions. I love this hobby!

Why? I was frustrated with the cartridges. New cartridges gave a good, but not long lasting result. By 5PM I started looking scruffy again. And that's only if it was a new cartridge - the more they were used the worse I looked at the end of the day. I tried to grow a beard, but it was always uncomfortable after a while. I tried electrics - that was legal torture. Finally, I found wet shaving information on the internet 5-6 years ago. The only searching that took place after that was for quality wet shaving products due to the various disorders that I was subject to.

I was never satisfied with the job I did with a rotary shaver (the foil types were even worse for me!) . After reading the Art of Manliness article I decided to give wet shaving a try. No I wish that I had started a long time ago! :biggrin1:

I started wet shaving when I was 14 years old. I was using a Mach 3 and later a Fusion. My face never liked them though. I have tried many different things, shaving with a hairclipper, electric razor. There were times when I didn't even shave for 3 weeks. Last year I discovered DE shaving and I never looked back to my Fusion. DE has it all, great shaves, full BBS, it never gets boring, no ingrown hairs, no irritations, face feels very smooth, it's very cheap compared to a fusion or mach3. Whenever I see guys who're lazy to shave I pity them because they don't know about DE shaving. I have tried to convert many men but for some reason they don't even care. I guess you have to do it once before you're sold!

My first shaves were with a can of Gillette foam and some cheap disposable razors (can't remember the brand, though I recall what they looked like). It was at boarding school, but I forget exactly how old I was. I was unimpressed with the shave, and very quickly "upgraded" to a Mach 3 and stopped using the foam. For a few years I just used water and hand soap, until I discovered King of Shave's Alphagel.

I got into traditional shaving at university, after having a "sod this" moment while looking at the prices of Gillette cartridges at the Tesco Local near my house, although at the time I had a King of Shaves Azor and Wilkinson Sword Quattro as well as a Mach 3 (I found the Wilkinson was the closest shave, the Mach 3 was the best for hacking off longer stubble, and the Azor was a good all-rounder and cheap).

My first buy was a Merkur 34, an EJ brush and Taylor of Old Bond St Sandalwood soap in the wooden bowl. I started out just by adding the safety razor to my rotation, but once I ran out of cartridges for the other razors I never went back. I got a restored vintage straight razor a few months later.

In my first year of university, I also had a Phillips rotary electric razor, but I found myself using a cartridge razor to "finish the job" so often that soon I was only using it for the built in trimmer.

-John

while i technically haven't started wet shaving yet (waiting for products to get in) also i still haven't found a brush since i know nothing about the difference between badger and boar brushes. but mainly i'm not confidant enough right now to use it but i have been pointed into the direction of tutorials on youtube by some people on this site.

i used to use an electric razor and it was fine but for some reason last year i started getting irritation. multi blade razors used to be fine too but just like the electric razor last year my face has become sensitive to it. not as much as electric razors but still.

i still use cartridge for the time being but i did make the switch from canned gel to cream. first i used EMJ cream but i didnt like it so i switched to burts bees but i dislike the smell. since the switch i've noticed i have had less irritation. i use EMJ post shave lotion.

Anyways... the reason why i started to make the switch like a month or so ago is cuz my skin lately has been a victim of razor burn and what not, primarily around my neck, and after looking all over the internet for razors that reduce that i discovered this wonderful world of safety razors and wetshaving.

I bought an edwin jagger de89lbl (been sitting on dresser for awhile) and proraso shaving cream, pre shave and after shave (waiting for it to get here) off of a recommendation from someone on here when i asked about a decent shaving cream/soap and what not for beginners. all i need is a brush and a bowl i guess. i' looking forward to trying different kinds of soaps, razors, creams, after/pre shaves and brushes. i even got my friend to at least consider converting to wetshaving and safety razors, though he is more interested in straight razors lol.

Top Bottom