What's new

Why did you start wet-shaving?

First I wear a goatee. I hated shaving. I got an electric razor and thought that was okay but never enjoyed shaving. I also grabbed a Fusion Trimmer/Shaver because I needed a new trimmer. I also used the Fusion cartridges with gel/shave cream a few times. I saw the ad that the guy from Pawn brokers about the double edge shaver and I get ads on my FB page for the Dollar Shave Club. I remeber my dad using a double edge razor when I was young and I always loved the smells of Old Spice, Clubman and other Barber Shop smells. I always used Old Spice and Clubman AS. So I decided to take the plunge and buy a razor, some blades etc. 100 bucks later here I am and I am doing my best to keep my AD in check.

Let's see..................

save some $$
turn a mundane daily chore into a satisfying challenge
to buy vintage razors - very cool American industrial art
to try an infinite variety of soaps, creams, blades, brushes, razors, pre-shaves, after-shaves
to connect with centuries of past shavers

For me, I started looking into it because of the potential cost savings, but really made the switch because it's a better value. I may not be saving any money, but the goods I am buying are of a better quality and produce a better shave.

I started shaving when I was 15 and started on a cartridge razor. Was using a fusion razor with their cream in an aerosol can. I always complained about how the shave was never close and always had a 5 o'clock shadow, and how I always had irritation and razor burn. A friend of mine suggested that I do what he does, use a DE razor. I thought wet shaving was a thing of the past and that the old school shave was something of the past. Man was I wrong! I started using a DE to get a more comfortable shave, and also to try to save money. Ill find out eventually if the plan to save money pans out!

I had heard about it since the MSN article. Always hated shaving and was intrigued, but it seemed expensive. Kept hearing about it and meaning to check it out.

Finally bought a Shea Moisture brush and cream at Target one day on clearance. Both ended up being terrible, but it led me here...

Oddly enough, it was the same work trip that I had purchased the items that got me into wet shaving where I had purchased some irons that got me back into golf.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
My Dad used electrics; Schick foil head so that was my start. In the Army in 1960 I used a Gillette Tech in Nickel. Then I bought an M1 black handled Gillette SS brand new in 1967: I still have it, case and all. Shortly after putting away that too mild Gillette, I went to the "latest and greatest" carts & cans. 20 years ago I bought a Burma Shave kit in a square tin (no razor) and have used brush and shaving soap ever since with carts. Last summer I told my son about my Army Gillette and thought about getting one of those durable 3 piece razors again. He said, "Look on Ebay." I did, and found Gillette Techs but also found Gillette NEWs which appealed to me. I Googled and found that Gillette NEWs are highly regarded on B&B and other links. The rest, as they say......

What FORCED me to shave every day was my girlfriend's father who refused to let me sit at their dinner table unless I was perfectly shaved.

I must have been 16 or so and one day I was there with a day's stubble which irritated him to no end. He took me aside (so as not to embarrass me in front of his wife and daughter) and maneuvered me into the bathroom where he had set up his shaving gear with a fresh blade and polity said "everyone will enjoy their dinner more if you are clean shaven".

Well at least he did not toss me out the window (he was a pretty BIG fellow so I obliged BUT I used some of his finer cologne when I finished :001_smile).

After that I sort of shaved every day to avoid having to look him in the eyes and 'splain "why". I still sported a mustache which was acceptable as he had one also, though his was a very impressive well trained handle bar and mine was a ragged little boy's attempt at lip fur.

What started out as saving some money vs cartridge blades has turned into a full on Acquisition Disorder lol! A month in and 4 DE shavers later, I can say with almost certainty, I have not saved a penny haha!

Still having fun and glad I found B&B

I started back in college with an electric razor. My grandad switched to electrics at that time. Never worked well for me. Then it was carts, one, two, three, four and five bladed monsters. They never give me a smooth face despite multiple passes. I tried DE razors recently and the hard to cut parts have been conquered.

I did the Mach 3 routine for a while, then switched to an electric, then combined them (Mach 3 on Sunday night and electric the rest of the work week) but I always hated the shaves. I'm realizing that life was better when my Grandfathers were around. They seemed to know what worked and didn't mess around. Shaving with a DE is another way of staying in touch with them. Another reason is to save money, but I am quickly learning, much to the frustration of my wife, that razors are addictive!

I was using single blade Bics and canned goop in my twenties, got married and graduated to twin blades. Some time after my two boys were born I started using a cheap plastic double edge razor (Wilkinson, I think). That lasted a good ten years, but put it away once the boys got "curious" about Dad's personal stuff and my fears of the two of them going at each other with my blades. I went to Mach 3 and Proraso soap, and taught the boys how to properly shave. Once they moved out to go to school (Hamilton and Ottawa), I wanted to get back into the joys of DE shaving and started doing some research. Two Merkurs later (a long handle and a squat slant razor) and some Bond Street soap got me properly back in the game! My lovely wife, on one of her (many) shopping weekends to Buffalo, stopped in at the Art of Shaving store at the Walden Galleria and brought home some goodies...a good brush and razor stand, a decent badger brush, oil, and naughty knickers (that last item might not have been from AoS!). Everytime I get ready to shave it's like preparing to perform a symphony. Such joy! And my wife is impressed with how clean and tidy the basement bathroom is every morning...yeah, I even take a few minutes to give the sink a good cleaning in order to be ready for tomorrow morning's symphonic performance!

Cause Rick at the pawn shop said it was cheaper and my neck was being chewed up by M3's....

my my neck is now in FANTASTIC shape but the cheaper part? Well? That's a JOKE!!! I've never bought more shaving items in my life or looked forward to shaving more in my life!

I've got the RAD!

At first to save money but then found myself enjoying it way to much and the acquisitions disorder followed soon after. Don't regret it one bit.

I think my big reason was also to save money. I would keep using carts way too long in an attempt to save money and my skin and face paid the price. Always thought I had sensitive skin but now I realize that it was the carts and not my skin. I never thought switching to a DE razor would improve my skin as much as it did and no longer dread shaving in the morning. Big thanks to everyone here for the amount of information, tips, and tricks. My face thanks you all but my wallet does not.

I was fed up with having to deal with a new choice of disposable razors every time I needed to buy again. Which got me thinking about all that plastic going into landfill, and the madness of the marketing.
I wanted something simpler yet effective. So far so good.

I started wet shaving in an effort to stop the pain I would go through every time I used a cartridge or disposable razor. I tried every shaving foam and gel as well and nothing would stop the pulling and mutilating of my face. The first time I shaved with a DE I did nick myself a few times but the smoothness and painless feel of my face was confirmation enough for me to switch and has become not only an enjoyable shave but a hobby..

Top Bottom