What's new

Why did you start wet-shaving?

Was about 17 when I started needing to shave properly. Got given a fusion razor and it hurt everytime I used it no matter what, like make your eyes water and give up hurt. The ingrowns and razor burn were off the scale. Then I was given a Philips electric razor that had balm built into it. That was actually usable if I used no pressure but I am a perfectionist in the sense that I like my entire neck and face to be evenly shaved. So I bought a Parker DE without reading into it and I've gone from there to having a massive collection and shaving every day with no issues

Started when I was 12 with cheap Bics. Tried electric for a year or two and returned to cartridges. I got tired of having issues with all the chemical in the can stuff and went to brush and Dove about 7 years ago. My wife and I have been in the process of moving to Southern Africa specifically Swaziland and the cartridges not only being expensive are harder to get in the bush country of Africa; so I switched to DE about 2 months ago. I wished I switched 35 years ago; would have saved money and the pain of ingrown hairs.

I started shaving with disposable Gillettes (just like Dad) when I was 13, and did that for 30 years. One day I was walking in the cold of the early morning and a brisk breeze made my face tingle in an unpleasant way. I did some internet digging and the next thing I knew I was stuck in a spiral of products and techniques. I wish I had at least some of those 30 years back, because for the first time since the big-boy novelty wore off I actually enjoy shaving.

Well, "wet shaving" was a must in my area and in that period. Around here, in Romania, electric shavers were never a thing, and most of us are wet shaving. My first shave was with an DE actually, my father use to DE shave in that period. After that, i went for carts, and used them for about 13 years.

Now, i started traditional shaving because it seemed like a fun activity. And indeed, it is. The number of products, razors, the skill involved, was something that made shaving something that i look forward to do, instead of a chore. I don't think that it's necessary better than shaving with carts, but it is more fun for me, and that's enough.

When I was 17, started wet shaving. It was pretty much the only way to shave in 1967. May 2014, I started again for a cheaper shave and better shave.

I needed a shave that would result in less skin irritation. Unfortunately, when I began wet shaving my neck developed some painful irritation but after mapping my beard and learning my technique the shaves left my face much better. I think the standard learning curve is about one month long, and after about a month of shaving I developed my technique and my face adjusted nicely.

I also wanted a shave that was less expensive than the disposables I was using and/or the cartridges. What I've found after six months of wet shaving is that I can use one blade for 2-3 weeks, and a puck lasts me 2 or more months. So, yeah, I'm saving some money. But it's important to remember that it isn't free. LOL

Carts and electrics hurt my face and caused ingrown hairs for too many years, so I thought I would try this. Plus I thought I could save money:lol:

It's a weird one actually.

I bought a cheap cartridge razor from Sainsburys for £2 on the way to my girlfriend's house for the weekend. Was pretty chuffed with how cheap it was, so when I got there I was all boastful like "look at that! £2", to which she said "don't men spend like £200 on a nice one then keep that for life?". I'm a naturally curious person, so that got me intrigued as to what these lifelong and expensive razors could be. I remembered my grandad had a brush but that was my whole experience with "abnormal" shaving at the time - my dad was loyal to bic disposables.

So my first step was looking at brushes out of nostalgia, and from that I started looking at shaving soaps, DEs etc., and then found an article that compared the Merkur Futur to a Gillette Fusion. I wasn't (and still aren't) sold on the Merkur - looks a bit too tool like for me, but from that I discovered Muhle, took the plunge and bought an R89, along with a cheap starter kit that included a non-branded shavette, Arko soap and an Omega boar brush which now makes up my travel kit, along with a cheapy Weishi DE.

At home I've now got the Muhle R89, Parker SR1, a custom straight, Vulfix 404 mixed badger and boar brush, proraso soap, countless aftershaves, moisturisers etc. and it seems like it's become a firm lifestyle choice.

I've only been DE shaving for about a year now, but I used carts since I was 13 and never did like them, but figured it was all there was and I would have to deal with it. I found a 1950's gillette in my Grandfathers bathroom when I was 14 or 15 but had no idea what it was back then. Years after that I tried to figure out what it was but couldn't remember so I started searching the web to find out. Next thing I know I find alot of YouTube videos about "DE" shaving and eventually found this site with tons of information. Found out it was a 1950's Red Tip my Grandpa had and now I have one just like it as my daily driver. it was ultimately the best decision of my life!

I started secretly using my dad's Gillette Fatboy (At least I'm pretty sure that's what it is) when I was around 12 or 13 – so I suppose I technically started out of convenience. But I guess he found out, got mad, told my mother, and they bought me a Sensor Excel as a present. Eventually I bought a Mach 3.

When I started shaving my head, I found myself using more cartridges more often. I found traditional wet shaving methods and products while the process of looking for cheaper alternatives. So, I suppose cost was the reason for getting me restarted.

I started wet-shaving in 1975, when I went away to graduate school. I used a Wilkinson cartridge razor, then a trac II. Once I got serious about shaving regularly, wet-shaving seemed the only choice.

In college I used an electric my parents gave me; I didn't really need to shave that often because I was young and, hey, nobody shaved at the University of Wisconsin in 1972.

My parents buy these horrible disposable razors that I had been using since I wasn't paying for them, and they got the job done. I never truly liked them, but I didn't have a job, so I put up with them. When I started working part time, I knew that if I had to shave with any sort of regularity, I needed a razor that got the job done well. Disposables just didn't shave well when I went with the grain, but then they would irritate my skin if I went against the grain. I don't remember how I stumbled upon DE safety razors, but as soon as I realized that there were still companies that sold these razors new, I wanted to dive right in. Picked up the Merkur Long Handle with a ten pack of Merkur blades, and the rest is, as they say, history. Since then, I've converted my brother (who was using a Gillette cartridge razor) and in another week and a half I'm going to order us some Plisson brushes and shave soap/cream. I also have a 100 pack of Personna blades which I've been really happy with, but I want to experiment with some different blades and a new razor. I'm thinking of getting the Merkur Progress, all though there are a couple other razors I've been thinking about, and I want to try Derby blades since I'll now have a more aggressive razor that will be able to truly utilize the milder blade type. I'm still seeking the right type of sharpness to mildness ratio. Never looking back, I love my DE. My first shave soap/cream will be Proraso, perhaps the blue cream. I'm subscribed to a bunch of the wet shavers on YouTube and I love learning about new products. It's all been a really fun learning process.

When I was a kid my dad gave me one of his Gillette DE razors to use (I cant recall which version, probably a Slim), some Old Spice soap, and a cheap brush. So I started out "wet shaving" at an early age with, by todays standards, some pretty decent equipment. Though back then it wasn't viewed as such. When I went in the service I was introduced to a cheap plastic razor and some cheap brushless shave cream that came in a green tube. I have no idea what the razor was, I believe the cream was manufactured by Barbasol. The Army taught me to shave in 45 seconds or less. :001_smile Not a problem for an 18 year old face. Back in civilian life, over the years I tried a couple electrics, which never gave me a good shave. Also tried a few carts here and there as they arrived in the mail for free. Most worked OK. I never strayed far from my roots though and use a Gillette Slim most days.

About 12 years ago I ordered a straight edge, a strop, am a brush...I had gotten some inexpensive shave soap and started shaving. The idea was I would never have to buy, nor throw away, another disposable razor.
Well I didn't have much support nor instruction for the like but I was able to get the hang of it without lobbing off my chin or left ear. However I didn't know how to keep it sharp and the difficulty, accompanied with dreadful results, soon ended my endeveour.
Years later after God knows how many disposables, I got fed up! And last month, after mulling around here and the Internet for a bit I too "took the Plunge" and got a DE Edwin Jagger DE89L. Well, I'm not quite 7 shaves into it now but one thing is certain. ...I'm never going back!

Last edited:
Pure Nostalgia. I have been intrigued for years by wet shaving and finally took the plunge last September. After taming my SR Rad and now slowly sorting through my collection to decide what I like and dont based on quality of shave....I transferred the RAD over to DE Razors...and only seek 2 more razors to fill that addicition....with brushes, that isnt quiet as overwhelming, but a few are on the shelf to try. Trying old after shaves, different soaps, etc etc makes for a lot of fun compared to just a boring old shave with a Mach 3 and the same soap each time for the last 20 years+

Top Bottom