What's new

ATG troubles

So, I've been DE shaving for about two and a half weeks now.

So far, I can do WTG and XTG passes with pretty good results, no cuts or irritation usually. I've been wanting to do an ATG pass in order to get an even closer shave. However, almost every time I try ATG, I can feel the razor tugging or pulling at the hairs, and sometimes I'll get nicked as a result. Even when I don't bleed, it's still a pretty uncomfortable feeling. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what it is; I've tried different blade angles, but even the mildest blade angle still gives me the tugging feeling when going ATG.

Anyone have any idea why ATG isn't working for me? I'm shaving with a Merkur Classic and Feather blades (just sprung right for a pack of feathers from the beginning rather than getting a blade sampler pack -- possibly not the smartest move, in retrospect).

Maybe an extra XTG pass is necessary to reduce your beard a little more. I don't do much ATG though.

Aaron

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
You might need to change the direction of your XTG. Sometimes, it could change everything when you go ATG. If it pulls, don't do it!

I used to have the same problem, then I decided to stop shaving ATG. One of the best wet-shaving decisions I've ever made. One WTG and one or two XTG (depends on my setup) passes, plus a bit of buffing under my chin, give me BBS shaves.

With milder setups I occasionally do ATG, but I always pay for it with a few ingrown hairs (usually around my cheekbones and the middle of my chin) a day or two later.

Enough about me, here's my advice:

1) Give it time - you've only been at this for two and a half weeks, so I suppose your face needs to adjust.

2) Use a milder blade - I recommend Red Personnas, but that's just my opinion. Get a sampler pack and see what works best for you. I only like using Feathers in my ball-end Tech - they tend to give me grief in my other razors.

4) What kind of AS are you using? I found my shaves got much better after I started using Pinaud Clubman and Bay Rum. Not sure why that is, but it works, so I'm not gonna question it.

5) You haven't said anything about your prep, but try cold water shaving - that is, prep with cold water instead of warm, and rinse your blade between strokes with cold water. I've been doing it for about a week and am enjoying it a lot more than I expected to. I suppose that's not relevant to your ATG problem, but I just thought I'd throw that in there :biggrin1:

3) Consider giving up your ATG pass. Trust me, you can get BBS with just one WTG and one XTG pass

I hope that helps. Good luck!

Last edited:
I'm exactly the same, WTG and XTG are completely fine, maybe it's because of the direction of hair growth or thickness of hair but when I go ATG the blade comes to a complete halt and will result in countless cuts.

I'm no expert at all but the way I resolved it is this-

Hold the razor at the usual blade angle so it's cutting fine, but instead of holding the razor parallel to the floor (going straight up square) tilt it so it's slicing the hairs rather than chopping them off square- I tilt mine about 40 degrees, anything more and I will risk slashing a line across my face.

This doesn't result in BBS alone for me but reduces the stubble more than enough to do a comfortable "proper" ATG shave to finish it off and end up BBS.

Hope it helps.

Are you keep the area being shave taut? If you flatten and tighten the area, this will help in shaving ATG. Use your fee hand and facial movements to keep the skin tight. Do not over do it, the objective keep the skin taut and not to pull taffy.

I only go ATG on cheeks and chin so far. I tried to on my neck but that was a disaster. I'm going to wait until my technique improves or I find my "magic" setup.

another tip I have.

When shaving ATG try this: Lower the blade angle for your passes, meaning make your razorhandle line up more with your skin i.e more horizontal to the surface you are shaving.

That removes the tugging for me! And when that pass is done, go in with abit more aggresvie angle, like you would normally use.

Maybe an extra XTG pass is necessary to reduce your beard a little more. I don't do much ATG though.

Aaron

+1 on what Aaron said. Get another XTG (opposite to first XTG, if possible) and then go ATG.

But don;t rush it on the ATG...it will come. Most of the time, it's pressure that's the culprit. Keep no pressure and watch the angle...if it skips and hops, it's probably angle

Good luck

Robert

Russ on another threat (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=156022) suggested adding a few drops of personal lubricant such as KY oil in the lather. I tried it this a.m. and got the best shave ever. The razor just glided over my face without any irritation. My neck which is usually tender was perfect.

Here is a copy of Russ's post:

Lynx,

An alternative to glycerin, and to add more slip to the lather, use a couple of drops of 'personal lubricant' :blush:

I use 'KY' .

As shaving soaps and creams are on the alkaline side, you will find that the 'personal lubricant' will thicken up your lather considerably.

The use of these lubes really ramps up the slickness of the lather.

Please try and report back your findings (if everybody is not too embarrassed !! :001_smile)

I found that this mix worked particularly well for DE shaves (of my face !!!)

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

Perhaps your lather isn't slick enough? Or you aren't getting enough hair reduction on the previous WTG/XTG passes? When I first started, it was due to all of the above. :blushing:
With my current setup, I use baking soda to soften my hard water, which helps lather generation and slickness. For razor passes, watch your blade angle. I use about 30 degrees for WTG/XTG and 15 degrees for ATG.

Top Bottom